English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 12 April 2022, 17:16   #481
Wilhood

Dungeon master for the amiga, I never got around to finishing it, one of the first games I will try on my amiga mini.
Old 12 April 2022, 17:21   #482
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhood View Post
Dungeon master for the amiga, I never got around to finishing it, one of the first games I will try on my amiga mini.
Lol. Just about the only game I did finish on Amiga, plus Millennium 2.2 of course
Old 13 April 2022, 23:53   #483
Wilhood

You are a better man than me, I never got around to finishing it, hopefully, I will this time around.
Old 24 January 2023, 22:43   #484
Thorham
Computer Nerd

When I run the game with the Aros ROM (WinUae) it says 'échec ouverture écran' (google translate: screen opening failure). Is this because the game uses the default monitor perhaps?
Old 25 January 2023, 07:27   #485
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
When I run the game with the Aros ROM (WinUae) it says 'échec ouverture écran' (google translate: screen opening failure). Is this because the game uses the default monitor perhaps?
Does AROS support normal OCS/ECS chipset ? If not, you have your answer.
Old 25 January 2023, 13:26   #486
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
Does AROS support normal OCS/ECS chipset ?
Tested it in WinUae and it seems to support it. Wonder what happens if dmcsb used the PAL or NTSC monitor id for OpenScreenTags(). Can you specify a monitor perhaps?
Old 25 January 2023, 14:34   #487
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Tested it in WinUae and it seems to support it. Wonder what happens if dmcsb used the PAL or NTSC monitor id for OpenScreenTags(). Can you specify a monitor perhaps?
Default monitor is used. Nothing special.
Old 25 January 2023, 16:10   #488
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Default monitor is used. Nothing special.
Any chance of a PAL/NTSC option being added? Don't know if it would help with the Aros ROM (built into WinUae), but if it works, a 'stand alone' WinUae version of the game can be set up which might be nice for the Dungeon Master Forums.
Old 25 January 2023, 16:45   #489
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Any chance of a PAL/NTSC option being added? Don't know if it would help with the Aros ROM (built into WinUae), but if it works, a 'stand alone' WinUae version of the game can be set up which might be nice for the Dungeon Master Forums.
I don't think it would help. If default monitor fails, why would asking for PAL or NTSC be successful ?
It may also fail for another reason. I don't have aros setup, but if you want you can play with OpenScreenTagList on it and find the tags that prevent 320x200x5 screen opening on it.
The screen opening code isn't specific to this program at all. Any other of my programs opening a screen uses the same code, and IIRC you had access to it - it's my system frame.
A standalone version is a nice idea and i have distant plans for it, but it would be using my own VM, not Winuae.
Old 26 January 2023, 12:23   #490
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
I don't think it would help. If default monitor fails, why would asking for PAL or NTSC be successful ?
Because those are actually available. I have it in my head somehow that the game doesn't run under Aros because the default monitor is missing for some reason. Seems strange now that I think about it.
Quote:
I don't have aros setup
I actually don't have it set up either, which makes doing anything a pain.
Quote:
A standalone version is a nice idea and i have distant plans for it, but it would be using my own VM, not Winuae.
Yeah, you mentioned a VM a while ago. How's that going?
Old 26 January 2023, 13:40   #491
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I would enjoy playing the custom dungeons again. They were very hard (for me) last time I tried. But I applauded the stories.
Old 26 January 2023, 14:15   #492
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Because those are actually available. I have it in my head somehow that the game doesn't run under Aros because the default monitor is missing for some reason. Seems strange now that I think about it.
I'd be surprised if Aros can open a planar intuition screen that allows grabbing the bitplanes for direct access...

Quote:
I actually don't have it set up either, which makes doing anything a pain.
Then it is just a floating idea, huh ?

Quote:
Yeah, you mentioned a VM a while ago. How's that going?
Amiga version works fine but is probably not fast enough for real life usage on legacy hardware (under winuae it's ok). PC-windows version is being worked on - currently buggy and incomplete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
I would enjoy playing the custom dungeons again. They were very hard (for me) last time I tried. But I applauded the stories.
Some are designed to be real hard so this is normal, but not all are.
Old 26 January 2023, 17:07   #493
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
I'd be surprised if Aros can open a planar intuition screen that allows grabbing the bitplanes for direct access...
I'd be surprised if it can't. It's supposed to be compatible with AOS, but then again...
Quote:
Then it is just a floating idea, huh ?
Not if your version of DM can run without a startup-sequence. WinUae's built in Aros rom has a boot menu with the 'boot without startup-seequence' option. I've tried running the game like that, but it can't open a screen for some reason. The question is if it's because of the missing default monitor or not.
Quote:
PC-windows version is being worked on - currently buggy and incomplete.
Are you using existing libraries or writing everything from scratch?
Old 26 January 2023, 17:43   #494
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
I'd be surprised if it can't. It's supposed to be compatible with AOS, but then again...
We all know this compatibility is limited. Things done "in the back" of the OS won't work, will they ?

Quote:
Not if your version of DM can run without a startup-sequence. WinUae's built in Aros rom has a boot menu with the 'boot without startup-seequence' option. I've tried running the game like that, but it can't open a screen for some reason. The question is if it's because of the missing default monitor or not.
It can run without a startup-sequence.
Now, can Aros run a pre-installed OS like some 3.x kickstart would ?

Quote:
Are you using existing libraries or writing everything from scratch?
There are no existing libraries for doing that. Or what would they be ?
Old 26 January 2023, 18:57   #495
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
We all know this compatibility is limited. Things done "in the back" of the OS won't work, will they ?
Depends, but things like specifying allocated memory for a screen, or having the OS allocate the memory and then getting the plane pointers from the appropriate structure should work. Or that's what you'd think. Changing these basic things will ensure incompatibility, so I doubt they did that.
Quote:
Now, can Aros run a pre-installed OS like some 3.x kickstart would ?
Yes, and I tried it briefly, but the game still complained about not being able to open a screen. Can't you just tell the game to use a different monitor? If not, it could be a nice feature for your system frame.
Quote:
There are no existing libraries for doing that. Or what would they be ?
I mean stuff like SDL for graphics. Writing everything from scratch for OpenGL (or something) doesn't seem like too much fun.
Old 26 January 2023, 19:30   #496
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Depends, but things like specifying allocated memory for a screen, or having the OS allocate the memory and then getting the plane pointers from the appropriate structure should work. Or that's what you'd think. Changing these basic things will ensure incompatibility, so I doubt they did that.
Well, we've got the proof here there really is incompatibility. Aros is for things that are 100% OS, at least it's the way i interpret it.
Why don't you just write simple screen opening code to make a few tests yourself ?

Quote:
Yes, and I tried it briefly, but the game still complained about not being able to open a screen. Can't you just tell the game to use a different monitor? If not, it could be a nice feature for your system frame.
I need to know when to use a different monitor spec and which one. Not that easy. In addition, such specific stuff does not fit very well in the API - which have to be as platform agnostic as possible (they're readily available in the VM).
Also i don't want to go thru all that, just to discover it wasn't the monitor spec that made the openscreen fail...

Quote:
I mean stuff like SDL for graphics. Writing everything from scratch for OpenGL (or something) doesn't seem like too much fun.
It's DirectX11, actually. Indeed not fun but not the worse part.
Old 26 January 2023, 20:25   #497
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Why don't you just write simple screen opening code to make a few tests yourself ?
I actually have some working code already, didn't occur to me to try it
Quote:
Also i don't want to go thru all that, just to discover it wasn't the monitor spec that made the openscreen fail...
Yeah, that'd be a bit silly indeed. Fixing things that aren't broken while the problem is caused by an OS that's not even AOS isn't the greatest of ideas.
Quote:
It's DirectX11, actually. Indeed not fun but not the worse part.
What's worse, then?
Old 26 January 2023, 20:48   #498
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
I actually have some working code already, didn't occur to me to try it
Let's see what it gives then.

Quote:
Yeah, that'd be a bit silly indeed. Fixing things that aren't broken while the problem is caused by an OS that's not even AOS isn't the greatest of ideas.
Yep

Quote:
What's worse, then?
Anything requiring low latency and/or stable timing, for example audio. Tried with several apis (waveout, xaudio2, directsound, wasapi), all failed in one way or another.
Old 27 January 2023, 00:05   #499
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Let's see what it gives then.
Tested, and doesn't seem to work, sadly. Guess your hunch was on target, sadly This really makes me wonder why it doesn't work, it just makes no sense.
Quote:
Anything requiring low latency and/or stable timing, for example audio. Tried with several apis (waveout, xaudio2, directsound, wasapi), all failed in one way or another.
What a pain in the backside Does it work with a large circular audio buffer that just gets playd back continuously? If not, it might work with that (although it's just a guess).
Old 27 January 2023, 08:13   #500
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Tested, and doesn't seem to work, sadly. Guess your hunch was on target, sadly This really makes me wonder why it doesn't work, it just makes no sense.
Remember where Aros comes from -- PC port of AOS.
Back-porting it to 68k does not magically make it 100% compatible.

Quote:
What a pain in the backside Does it work with a large circular audio buffer that just gets playd back continuously? If not, it might work with that (although it's just a guess).
Seems we're quite OT here (we can discuss further by PM if you want) but large buffers can't do the trick - you don't want a monster scream happen several seconds after the attack, do you ?