English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 14 June 2008, 00:26   #461
CongealedWallrs

I am playing Morrowind on me PC (again). Playing as a psychotic Orc with absolutely no patience at all (a bit like me really). I was going to play without magic or magical items but it means just running away from fights with the undead which sucks for a psycho-Orc, he runs from NOTHING

I am also going to look for a decent Pirate mod for Morrowind because I have been drinking a lot of rum and reading Treasure Island and it could be fun. If only you could get a Morrowind Pirate mod with guns then I'd be all set for some swashbucklin' fun.
Old 14 June 2008, 00:32   #462
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Hi CongealedWallrs,
I don't know if there are guns, but you should look at this site : http://www.mwmythicmods.com/pirate.htm
I hope you find something there. Have fun playing MW (IMHO the best RPG till now ).
Old 14 June 2008, 00:37   #463
Marcuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
the best RPG till now.
or the compilation of what i dislike in a rpg!
Old 14 June 2008, 00:41   #464
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco pedrana View Post
or the compilation of what i dislike in a rpg!
Okay, now I'm gonna sell my engagement ring marco!
I know many people that can't stand playing MW, but for all of you that haven't tried it : Have a look and decide
Old 14 June 2008, 00:49   #465
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

I prefer Baldur's Gate or Gothic 2, maybe Oblivion. I tried Morrowind, but i was bored after 2-3 days.
Old 14 June 2008, 01:12   #466
Marcuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
I prefer Baldur's Gate or Gothic 2, maybe Oblivion. I tried Morrowind, but i was bored after 2-3 days.
i hate those too! har har har!

seriously i have played them and much, all (ops no: Gothic i have tryed only the 3rd) and while of course they have technical advancements or perks (technical advancement is also to take D&D 2,5 whatever ruleset on a pc: the precedent was the gold box after all) i felt robbed of the rpg concept by all of them.

they made me feel like playing an arcade more than a role and whenever the role was, it was one i would not feel mine, ever. my imagination gets axed by them. meanies!

other than that, add their peculiar cons, or what personally i found as a con... let's say: the ruleset of Morrowind and Oblivion? the "can and can not"s of Baldur serie? wah! Pool of Radiance had more grip at that!

basically they are unpersonal games, exactly the quality that is needed by a RPG like mayonese and squibs on a chocolate milk in the morning.

i think that there's more role in adventures, where you really feel compelled to be in your character shoes. ok it's a prefigured role, but you are not unwell in covering it, like you PLAY Guybrush Threepwoodand not AS him...

ok it's a rant.

rant off
Old 14 June 2008, 01:19   #467
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

We are talking about newer RPG's and the traditional RPG games are dead. Of course i like Lands of Lore, Wizardry VII, Ambermoon, some SSI game etc.

Baldur's Gate 2/Icewind Dale 1 & 2 were the last traditional RPG's, iirc. I had a lot of fun with this games.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 14 June 2008 at 01:41.
Old 14 June 2008, 01:22   #468
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Hey marco,
try to get Gothic 1. It should be more to your liking than. The third Gothic is crap compared to the first two.
Okay now my turn for a rant : Baldur's Gate sucked big time. The 'you are the son of the bad one and we all want to kill you' story kinda bored me and the 'tension' in the game was created by leaving you to go just one way. TCD's rant off
Old 14 June 2008, 01:42   #469
Marcuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Okay now my turn for a rant : Baldur's Gate sucked big time. The 'you are the son of the bad one and we all want to kill you' story kinda bored me and the 'tension' in the game was created by leaving you to go just one way. TCD's rant off
i agree perfectly on that! i was stunned at first i remember, because of a choice so silly! the whole point of the pen and paper rpg was starting as a noone and carve your way to be someone to your liking, while this whole serie had this doomed destiny all about... but the second one was even worse! however...

i really enjoyed though go through the game (BG 1) solo as an elf fighter thief, trying to stay alive ('til mid game, then it gets really tiresome) and it has some great stages. like when you get out of a cave and find yourself in the hut of a evil (?) halfling in a village in the middle of nowhere, get out on the forest and it's night and orcs are all around... or when you stalk Sarevok in the thieves den or something...

it makes me want to play it... or Temple of the Elemental Evil...
mmm...

Quote:
We are talking about newer RPG's and the traditional RPG games are dead. Of course i like Lands of Lore, Wizardry VII, Ambermoon, some SSI game etc.
yep my point is just that -maybe because of the prjects having grown so large that a game concept gets diluted or anonymized before its completion, or maybe otehr reasons- new RPGs in particular, in respect to other genres, leave me really cold these days, while they did not once.

i really am curious on some to come, though, like Dragon Age.

if it was to me to suggest a game mechanic to a designer (read: have a lead designer as a slave) i know i would try some ideas i don't see around... and prolly it would be a commercial failure!

Last edited by Marcuz; 14 June 2008 at 01:48.
Old 14 June 2008, 01:50   #470
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco pedrana View Post
it makes me want to play it... or Temple of the Elemental Evil...
mmm...
Ah, yes Temple of Elemental Evil was simple but good RPG. It was mainly hack 'n slay and I never really liked the D&D ruleset (I'm just more into AD&D ) yet it kept me playing till the end. I think we can keep our wedding plan going marco
Old 14 June 2008, 01:57   #471
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
i really am curious on some to come, though, like Dragon Age.
Mmh, a Bioware game. Should be good.

I wonder if DSA IV Drakensang is any good. Looks like a hot RPG summer this year.

Edit: Ahh, Dragon Age is scheduled for the Q1 2009.
Old 14 June 2008, 10:45   #472
Marcuz

Quote:
I wonder if DSA IV Drakensang is any good. Looks like a hot RPG summer this year.
yep... there are some promising ones, even if it's not sure when they'll eventualy get out, like Heretic Kingdoms: Reluctant Hero, Dropship, Afterfall, Seeker, Fallout 3...
and of non rpg, i would like to see Eduardo the Samurai Toaster and The Fool and his Money, just to name some...
check here what feast for the eyes...
http://adrianwerner.wordpress.com/
Old 14 June 2008, 11:03   #473
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

I'm looking forward to the new Piranha Bytes game. It will take some time until it's released, but I hope after the 'divorce' from Jowood it will be as great as Gothic 1 was .
Drakensang looks promising and if the first reviews are good it's a sure buy.
Fallout 3 will be awesome! Bethesda will make a great RPG if the pictures don't promise too much. It's been some time since I played Fallout 1 & 2 for the last time, so maybe I will have a go for warming up
Old 15 June 2008, 18:47   #474
CongealedWallrs

CyberDruid,

Thank you for that link! I am trying it now, looks awesome! There are a lot of Morrowind mods and so I keep going back to it. It is also a very good basic way of designing and playing different roles and characters without having to go through the whole DnD thing with a group of friends. I like it because it can be adapted to suit the needs of a roleplayer.

Fallout 3 sounds exciting Fallout 1 and 2 are among my favourite games ever.
Old 15 June 2008, 19:07   #475
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Hi CongealedWallrs,

glad to hear you like the mod I get from your post that you played pen & paper RPG right? I think that's a reason why i (and you ) like Morrowind. It offers this big variety of ways to play the game. Have fun as a pirate (or fighting them ).

I'm playing a bit Painkiller again. Great shooter! Fast paced and no boring switches Really great for a lazy sunday afternoon
Old 15 June 2008, 19:18   #476
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Got a PSOne with a mod-chip for a few bucks. I'm playing Strider 2 and the Salamander, Gradius and Parodius Deluxe Packs atm.
Old 16 June 2008, 02:31   #477
Madcrow

Amiga-wise, it's all about Slamtilt Pinball at the moment. In the "broader" world, I've been killing lots of time with a nice little Galaga-clone called Critical Mass.
Old 16 June 2008, 02:56   #478
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

virtua tennis 3 on xbox 360
Old 17 June 2008, 02:52   #479
Harrison
classicamiga.com

Regarding RPGs. You still can't beat Planescape: Torment. Best RPG ever! Next to Fallout 1 and 2. I just hope the third one is better than the fans are predicting. The recent screenshots and previews look promising.

And as for Morrowind, I still find it more interesting than Oblivion. Much larger world with less repetition and more to see and do.

Anyway, back on topic. I've been attempting to play Midwinter II on the Amiga this evening, without much luck. I've completely forgotten the control system as it has been years, and even with WinUAE emulation cranked up to speed up the game I had forgotten how slow the 3D engine can be. They really should remake this game for current systems though. That would be great.
Old 18 June 2008, 11:12   #480
Graham Humphrey

I bought a copy of Namco Museum Volume 1 for the PS1 yesterday for the grand total of 50p from a charity shop I work for... GameStation are selling a pre-owned copy for £19.99

So I may give that a whirl today.