English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 24 November 2014, 10:49   #461
amiga_Forever
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dJOS View Post
Surely this post wins troll of the week?

I would say two weeks, but who's counting...

Apple and oranges may be different, but in this day and age, the Mac can at least still play games. Some would then say, it caught up, since (if memory serves me correctly), the Amiga WAS a home computer even in this early stage, while at that same time, the Mac was barley born with sound and graphics.. It was only black & white..

At least the Amiga had a color display and in my book, that make it ok.

(Right up to the point 3D games came along that is) *shakes fist*
Old 24 November 2014, 10:56   #462
dJOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiga_Forever View Post
I would say two weeks, but who's counting...

Apple and oranges may be different, but in this day and age, the Mac can at least still play games. Some would then say, it caught up, since (if memory serves me correctly), the Amiga WAS a home computer even in this early stage, while at that same time, the Mac was barley born with sound and graphics.. It was only black & white..

At least the Amiga had a color display and in my book, that make it ok.

(Right up to the point 3D games came along that is) *shakes fist*

Im going to risk being burned at the stake here..... but imo the current Mac OSX is prolly damned close to what an evolved Amiga OS would have been like had C= not been run into the ground by a bunch of knuckle dragging retards!

Unsurprisingly, OSX just happens to be my modern computing platform of choice.
Old 24 November 2014, 11:01   #463
Vot

Amiga questions you've always been too embarrassed to ask

Quote:
Im going to risk being burned at the stake here..... but imo the current Mac OSX is prolly damned close to what an evolved Amiga OS would have been like had C= not been run into the ground by a bunch of knuckle dragging retards!

As an amiga user i find that offensive.
Old 24 November 2014, 11:08   #464
dJOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vot View Post
As an amiga user i find that offensive.

So am I, but what's the modern alternative .... Windows? It's bad enuf that I have to use that piece of commercial malware at work, I'm sure as hell going to avoid using it at home as much as possible.

I'd love Amiga OS or Morph OS to be viable everyday platforms but the sad fact is they aren't. If I'm honest I have dreams that if I had a spare 100 mil I'd unify all the Amiga IP and build kick ass power 7 workstations running a fully modernised Amiga OS ... Sadly they are just my dreams.
Old 24 November 2014, 11:10   #465
ptyerman

BeOS was more of a Amiga like OS than OSX is. I loved it because it was so familiar after using Amiga OS for so many years. I still have BeOS MAX installed on a old Athlon XP machine and it rocks, I hope Haiku reaches a release 1 milestone soon, then I will install that.
Old 24 November 2014, 11:13   #466
dJOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptyerman View Post
BeOS was more of a Amiga like OS than OSX is. I loved it because it was so familiar after using Amiga OS for so many years. I still have BeOS MAX installed on a old Athlon XP machine and it rocks, I hope Haiku reaches a release 1 milestone soon, then I will install that.

I'd forgotten about BeOS, I played with it for a while back in the day and you are correct, it was great!
Old 24 November 2014, 11:17   #467
ptyerman

Yeah, it's a shame Microsoft killed it off. All hopes pinned on Haiku now though.
Old 24 November 2014, 11:18   #468
dJOS

Quote:
Yeah, it's a shame Microsoft killed it off. All hopes pinned on Haiku now though.

Iirc it almost became OSX
Old 24 November 2014, 11:21   #469
ptyerman

True. It was only Steve Jobs with his NEXTStep that stopped that happening. Although NEXTStep was nice, I preferred BeOS by a mile.
Old 24 November 2014, 11:28   #470
Vot

Quote:
So am I, but what's the modern alternative .... Windows? It's bad enuf that I have to use that piece of commercial malware at work, I'm sure as hell going to avoid using it at home as much as possible.

I'd love Amiga OS or Morph OS to be viable everyday platforms but the sad fact is they aren't. If I'm honest I have dreams that if I had a spare 100 mil I'd unify all the Amiga IP and build kick ass power 7 workstations running a fully modernised Amiga OS ... Sadly they are just my dreams.

Personally i think screw the IP. What we need is a new os that takes the best of what amiga was but redesigns it from the ground up. Call it whatever. It needs to be open source, support multiprocessor etc at its core and dump legacy support. All legacy support should be emulated.

AROS was a good idea, but frankly implementing 3.1 api is stupid (it should be more forward thinking, modern like os4) and back-porting aros to 68k is equally as dumb (it runs like crap).

The only one thing i like that apple did was make a clean break from legacy support when they moved to osx. (Their classic emulation integration was seamless when osx come out)

Last edited by Vot; 24 November 2014 at 13:00.
Old 24 November 2014, 13:31   #471
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
I've always been too ashamed to ask:
"What is the Zone and how I can get access to teh Zone?"
Old 24 November 2014, 13:33   #472
Vot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamiga2002 View Post
I've always been too ashamed to ask:
"What is the Zone and how I can get access to teh Zone?"

An area where files can be uploaded temporarily on the forum (they get deleted after a while). Login and look up on the top right.

You may have to do this to get access:
How do I get access to The Zone? (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=26201)

Last edited by Vot; 24 November 2014 at 13:41.
Old 24 November 2014, 19:22   #473
MageX

Quote:

I happen to be using a mid-2010 Mac mini running Yosemite as my most used system, but I don't really play games on it. Even with dual core @ 2.4GHz and 4GB of DDR3 RAM, it just isn't as good for games as my '030 accelerated A2000. Had C= done the Amiga right, today's Amiga would likely still blow the Mac away in capabilities, as you suggested. The difference is in the primary design focus.

Sure, I can do more GUI stuff on my Mac (I have several others, even some 68k series), but I don't have and use an Amiga for GUI glitter. When I set the money aside for an X-Surf (too many other priorities, these days), I'll likely use the Amiga for even more stuff than I do now (yeah, mostly gaming with it at this time). Maybe it's just growing up on a different generation of games, but I've never seen a Mac with the same gaming experience as an Amiga provides. I have Mac systems that make the 40MHz '030 seem like a snail, but that snail still gets certain jobs done better.

As I said, it's all in what the end-user needs from a computer as to which would be better. For streaming video or just playing video from the local drive, my Mac mini is definitely the better choice. Then again, I also have a couple DOS/Win98 systems that I could do stuff with that they are better suited for, too. I don't do too much with them, though.

Old 24 November 2014, 19:49   #474
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Quote:
I use Linux (Kubuntu) both at home and at work. It has its faults but it runs so much better on low spec hardware than Windows, it can save a lot of money!
Old 24 November 2014, 20:24   #475
ptyerman

Problem is, Linux is getting a pain in the a**e because of systemd! I'm currently moving my CCTV and server system away from Debian/Ubuntu systems because of it. Looking to install Manjaro, at least it's staying away from systemd at the moment.
Old 24 November 2014, 20:30   #476
Vot

Quote:
Problem is, Linux is getting a pain in the a**e because of systemd! I'm currently moving my CCTV and server system away from Debian/Ubuntu systems because of it. Looking to install Manjaro, at least it's staying away from systemd at the moment.

Whats the prob with systemd?
Old 24 November 2014, 20:37   #477
ptyerman

It's a virus that effects everything. Even some terminal commands that have been the same since Linux started back in the stone age don't work anymore with the same syntax, networking mostly. (WTF is systemd doing messing with networking?) It probably doesn't affect every user, but if your running a server or CCTV or anything serious it's a pain in the butt!
Old 24 November 2014, 20:40   #478
Vot

Quote:
It's a virus that effects everything. Even some terminal commands that have been the same since Linux started back in the stone age don't work anymore with the same syntax, networking mostly. (WTF is systemd doing messing with networking?) It probably doesn't affect every user, but if your running a server or CCTV or anything serious it's a pain in the butt!

http://boycottsystemd.org. As i user i had not had issues with it, just something to learn how to use like anything else. But I do understand why there are concerns about it.
Old 24 November 2014, 20:44   #479
ptyerman

If it had stayed as a init system and just a init system I don't think it would be a problem. But the way it's spreading and effecting everything else it's the most effective Linux virus to date.
Old 24 November 2014, 22:08   #480
dJOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
I use Linux (Kubuntu) both at home and at work. It has its faults but it runs so much better on low spec hardware than Windows, it can save a lot of money!

I've had a few rounds with Linux but always come away disappointed - it's still just a hacker OS on the desktop and I can't be assed.

One thing I like about OSX is that it's a proper desktop OS that still gives me all the Unix goodness I like.

I keep my gaming to my Amiga's, C64 and some dosbox for pc adventure games.