English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 04 November 2022, 17:10   #461
alenppc

This is the power plane polygon and the CPLDs/RAM and CPU all connect to it directly.

It's also not feasible for one man to support 040/060 from 25mhz to 100mhz.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	index.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	201.8 KB
ID:	76987  
Old 04 November 2022, 17:17   #462
Marce
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenppc View Post
There isn't one line, it's a plane, and the cpu pins connect to them into the plane. There isn't any single lines you can cut. The 1260 is a pure 3.3V card.

Are you sure you have the TF1260 and not another 060 card?

Also nobody has any "crabs" for sale other than the Chinese suppliers, and I can assure you they had nothing to do with the 1260 design. People are using the LC060 because it's not possible to find the full 060s and by the way, they work fantastic and clock to 100 Mhz. They respect the spec and are genuine 3.3V CPUs.

So either you are full of s**t or you have a different card or you got insanely lucky by feeding a 5V line into the plane which will raise the voltage to 4.2V to the whole board and assure its very quick death.
the main turboboard works at 3.3v because there is 5v to 3.3v converter
if you check at the cpu slot of the A1200 you will find that pin 10 and 20 and 30 etc ,every 10 pins there is a 5v connection
I do not understand what you don't understand,

business are business or do you think that the developers of the TF1260 made it for fun ?
if users find out that they can get a full 040 just for 50 dollars and put it on the card, it harms their business
Old 04 November 2022, 17:36   #463
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenppc View Post
So either you are full of s**t
A quick look at some of this user's other posts would lead most people to this conclusion.
Old 04 November 2022, 17:38   #464
alenppc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marce View Post
the main turboboard works at 3.3v because there is 5v to 3.3v converter
if you check at the cpu slot of the A1200 you will find that pin 10 and 20 and 30 etc ,every 10 pins there is a 5v connection
I do not understand what you don't understand,

business are business or do you think that the developers of the TF1260 made it for fun ?
if users find out that they can get a full 040 just for 50 dollars and put it on the card, it harms their business

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about. It was in fact made for fun. There is no business here...

Also the whole board is 3.3V. The converter merely converts the 5V to 3.3V for the above mentioned power plane.

Anyway your board will go up in smoke eventually, don't say you haven't been warned. I am done replying to this.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 04 November 2022, 17:53   #465
Marce
Banned

^

Old 04 November 2022, 19:21   #466
Chucky

Wow I did miss stupid.

one moron hacked 3.3V to 5V. that can be done with a simple wire.. sure. then the CPLD and ram will go smokey ass..

but the BCLK that is missing on the 060 but required on the 040.. how did you solve that?

yeah. stupid troll nothing else
Old 04 November 2022, 19:26   #467
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky View Post
yeah. stupid troll nothing else
This one is fascinating though. Usually they either pick hardware or software. Not this time though. It's all out on all fronts for Marce
Old 04 November 2022, 19:51   #468
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
Not sure how effective heat transfer you’d get to that second heatsink. Maybe a fan would do more good. It gets pretty crowded in there.
Im currently not running any of the TF1260 at more than 50MHz so I dont have any coolers. On the Apollo 1260, Im running a rev 6 at 66 MHz with only a smallish heatsink and its been running just fine for years…
On the BFG9060 there more room for higher heatsinks and fans so Im currently experimenting with various combos of heatsinks and fans, but I intend to push that rev 6 to 100MHz so it will definitely need cooling.
Anyone with an opinion about what thermal compund is best for a ceramic cpu like the 060. Im guessing all modern compounds are designed to connect the metal shield on a cpu to a metal heatsink.
It is crowded you are right. I'm just trying to replicate a similar setup to what Daedalus has going on. So a heat sink and then a fan blowing on it near by (not directly on top as there is no room).

I run it at 50mhz most of the time too except for things like Genetic Species of Duke Nukem3d which I play regularly. Run it at 100mhz then. Just setting the heatsink on top (not fixed) and having the blower blow on it reduces the temperature sufficiently I find.

My Apollo1260 had a fan, but it fell off. It's running at 80mhz but not seeing a lot of use at the moment until I can my tower recapped. Then I'll refit the fan.
Old 05 November 2022, 00:44   #469
dirkies
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
This one is fascinating though. Usually they either pick hardware or software. Not this time though. It's all out on all fronts for Marce
Check other threads with his opinions, I dunno what he pretends to be, but has clearly no effin clue what he's talking about.
Old 05 November 2022, 00:48   #470
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkies View Post
Check other threads with his opinions, I dunno what he pretends to be, but has clearly no effin clue what he's talking about.
I know. It's quite sad that it's not being checked.
Old 05 November 2022, 11:12   #471
Chucky

Well it is fun to see a person wanting to troll and thinks 5V is just for power.. and no clue whatsoever about signal-levels..

and like if it is designed by some mysterious company or so.. haha. well. stupid is stupid

in short: NO the TF1260 cannot take a 68040 reasons is:

1. the powerplane is in the internal layers and shares power with the CPLDs, memory and clock multiplierchip (and the levelshifters)
2. the TF1260 is all 100% 3.3V signalling.
3. BCLK is not connected as that pin is missing on the 060, required on the 040..

to be able to do a 040 on the TF the following designchanges would be needed:

CPU power should be separated to the rest of the 3.3V power.
add levershifters between cpu and memory (as memory is 3.3V)
add support for the BCLK signal.

some more firmware magic to be done to. well generate BCLK etc..

in short: not that easy. and out of no interest anyway as the 040 gets so damn hot
Old 06 November 2022, 01:47   #472
Photon

A friend asks for TF2040 to plug a spare 060 CPU into XD Let's chat some more before Gerp my friend
Old 08 November 2022, 15:11   #473
rabidgerry

Quote:
Not sure how effective heat transfer you’d get to that second heatsink. Maybe a fan would do more good. It gets pretty crowded in there.
Im currently not running any of the TF1260 at more than 50MHz so I dont have any coolers. On the Apollo 1260, Im running a rev 6 at 66 MHz with only a smallish heatsink and its been running just fine for years…
On the BFG9060 there more room for higher heatsinks and fans so Im currently experimenting with various combos of heatsinks and fans, but I intend to push that rev 6 to 100MHz so it will definitely need cooling.
Anyone with an opinion about what thermal compund is best for a ceramic cpu like the 060. Im guessing all modern compounds are designed to connect the metal shield on a cpu to a metal heatsink.
I was thinking of this BTW for attaching two heatsinks. Hoping heat transfer would be good.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264297763592
Old 08 November 2022, 21:40   #474
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidgerry View Post
I was thinking of this BTW for attaching two heatsinks. Hoping heat transfer would be good.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264297763592

Probably good if you’re comfortable with a more permanent solution. Don’t think its easy to clean the cpu once you apply that one.
Old 08 November 2022, 23:58   #475
rabidgerry

Quote:
Probably good if you’re comfortable with a more permanent solution. Don’t think its easy to clean the cpu once you apply that one.
Oh no no I didn't mean that.

I would attach the heatsink using special heat conductive tape which is double sided.

But in order to make the heat sinks larger I was going to use that special adessive to stick them to one another. I could potentially make a randomly shaped heat sink and use up a bit more space. I will need to look it in more detail.

I don't have fancy tool for cutting and shaping metal you see so this is my way around.
Old 12 November 2022, 22:58   #476
BoozerDawg

Howdy folks, a question about setting up a fresh WB 3.1 install with a TF1260 .... sorry if this is the wrong place to put it!

I had a pre-made CF image with seemingly everything set up already, and SysInfo (which I think might not be the most reliable benchmark in the world .....) correctly shows it as an MMU-less 68060, with 37598 Dhrystones and a lovely Phone Me Now!!! message.

However, I'm not a fan of all the stuff included in this image, so I wanted to create a fresh 3.1 install, with only what was needed to have the 1260 running. The steps I took were -

Disabled 1260 by removing the jumper.
Fresh install of 3.1
Installed MMU libs with it's installer - deleted 68040.lib from Libs and moved 68060.lib from MMULibs in there.
Shut down and re-enabled the 1260.
Booted up no problem, all memory now showing.

However, when I run SysInfo, it shows it as a 68040, and it gets 26258 Dhrystones .... well below the previous result.

I ran AB3D and AB3D2 which both appear to be performing exactly as they did before (brilliantly), so I wondered if it was probably all actually running fine and SysInfo was being a p***s, or have a missed in important step?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I'm only recently having got back into Amiga's.
Old 12 November 2022, 23:45   #477
Chucky

you should not delete any 68040.lib file.. if you install via the installer.all that is needed is done

Anyway sysinfo IS crap
Old 14 November 2022, 03:45   #478
TjLaZer

Hello, what is the latest firmware for this? It's been a while since I visited this thread, and I want to try to program mine with latest version. TIA
Old 14 November 2022, 04:12   #479
supaduper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjLaZer View Post
Hello, what is the latest firmware for this? It's been a while since I visited this thread, and I want to try to program mine with latest version. TIA
Latest firmware is 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoozerDawg View Post
Howdy folks, a question about setting up a fresh WB 3.1 install with a TF1260

However, when I run SysInfo, it shows it as a 68040, and it gets 26258 Dhrystones .... well below the previous result.

I ran AB3D and AB3D2 which both appear to be performing exactly as they did before (brilliantly), so I wondered if it was probably all actually running fine and SysInfo was being a p***s, or have a missed in important step?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I'm only recently having got back into Amiga's.
You need to run from `FASTROM` so you need to activate BURST mode on 3.1, so you need to add " CPU FASTROM BURST" to your SS sequence

Last edited by supaduper; 14 November 2022 at 04:17.
Old 14 November 2022, 05:32   #480
TjLaZer

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaduper View Post
Latest firmware is 1000
Thank you, link to file?