English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 20 November 2015, 06:04   #461
Amiga1992

I noticed something probably very wrong with my interface, hopefully not a design-wide problem happening in all boards (Anyone had the same issue?).
When it's connected to my machine, the Amiga CD32's volume gets REALLY LOW. I didn't know what was happening but realized the sound volume level was much higher when the interface isn't connected to the machine.

This happens when the unit has nothing connected to it. I am just using the CD32 as normal through its Svideo port.

Is this a problem with my unit, kipper? As of now this scared me so I removed the interface from the CD32, who knows what is actually going on to generate such a problem?

I hope it can be fixed
Old 20 November 2015, 11:02   #462
Vot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
I noticed something probably very wrong with my interface, hopefully not a design-wide problem happening in all boards (Anyone had the same issue?).
When it's connected to my machine, the Amiga CD32's volume gets REALLY LOW. I didn't know what was happening but realized the sound volume level was much higher when the interface isn't connected to the machine.

This happens when the unit has nothing connected to it. I am just using the CD32 as normal through its Svideo port.

Is this a problem with my unit, kipper? As of now this scared me so I removed the interface from the CD32, who knows what is actually going on to generate such a problem?

I hope it can be fixed

Eeek that doesn't sound good (literally)
Old 20 November 2015, 13:08   #463
spudje

Which version do you have, with or without additional SCART? Mine, without SCART, seems to have normal sound. At least it has never struck me being much lower with the unit connected. I'm using RGB from the expansion and audio from the RCAs, all running to a SCART on a TV and audio all the way from the TV to my Receiver via ARC HDMI.
Old 20 November 2015, 14:02   #464
kipper2k

Quote:

I hope it can be fixed
Hi,
Without any rgb and scart connection attached is sound normal, I will have to build one and check mine. ?
Old 20 November 2015, 14:34   #465
Amiga1992

I have the version with SCART, maybe the latest (got it like a month ago).
As said before I can't try SCART because it gives a black image, probably related to what was said before, that cables NEED to be crossed.

Kipper, this WAS without ANYTHING attached to it. I was using the CD32 as normal, connected through SVideo. As soon as I removed the interface, sound went to normal levels. The problem is VERY noticeable, like, normally my TV is set to 10 to hear well the machine, and now I had to turn it up to 40 to hear anything!!

When I used it with a monitor, using the 23 pin video port, I got the same issue of lower volume. I just realized, because after using it, I turned the monitor on the other day and volume was super loud, now I know it's because I turned it up to hear the CD32! So this is a general issue of the card when plugged in regardless of if you use it or not, and apparently, according to spudje's testimony, only present in the latest version with the SCART port.

You know, if the SCART port isn't standard because it needs a special cable, and it's giving issues with sound, maybe it's not worth having it at all. I managed to use a 23 pin videoport to SCART cable just fine so maybe it's redundant and takes valuable space on the PCB.
Old 20 November 2015, 16:40   #466
kipper2k

Quote:
I have the version with SCART, maybe the latest (got it like a month ago).
As said before I can't try SCART because it gives a black image, probably related to what was said before, that cables NEED to be crossed.

Kipper, this WAS without ANYTHING attached to it. I was using the CD32 as normal, connected through SVideo. As soon as I removed the interface, sound went to normal levels. The problem is VERY noticeable, like, normally my TV is set to 10 to hear well the machine, and now I had to turn it up to 40 to hear anything!!

When I used it with a monitor, using the 23 pin video port, I got the same issue of lower volume. I just realized, because after using it, I turned the monitor on the other day and volume was super loud, now I know it's because I turned it up to hear the CD32! So this is a general issue of the card when plugged in regardless of if you use it or not, and apparently, according to spudje's testimony, only present in the latest version with the SCART port.

You know, if the SCART port isn't standard because it needs a special cable, and it's giving issues with sound, maybe it's not worth having it at all. I managed to use a 23 pin videoport to SCART cable just fine so maybe it's redundant and takes valuable space on the PCB.

for scart cables, wires can not be crossed, i am not sure of what the proper protocol of scart cables is but of the first 2 that i tried i found that certain pins were crossed, i am not sure why as scart is relatively new to me. I bought a European TV with scart, modified a scart cable to give 1:1 wiring and it worked fine.
Old 20 November 2015, 17:42   #467
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

AFAIR there is no cross wiring ever on RGB SCART
Old 20 November 2015, 17:47   #468
Amiga1992

Well it was said above that the standard requires that but I don't know.
In any case that's unrelated t the problem at hand,m which is the interface is doing something weird with the audio circuitry
Old 20 November 2015, 17:57   #469
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

My mistake. Standard over the counter SCART cables you would buy at a TV store DO cross wire the audio pins and video pins.

Old 20 November 2015, 23:03   #470
Amiga1992

So that needs to be changed too, no wonder I was getting no image on SCART RGB.
Old 22 November 2015, 00:24   #471
kolla
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stedy View Post
@Akira & Kolla, Calm down children!

Quote:
The schematics and PCB will be open source, if you want a better variant, make one yourself.
Great, that may lead the way for more

Quote:
Hermes has an option for a clockport for transfer.
Aha, excellent!

Quote:
You can also use the Aux port on the CD32 for file transfers. I'm not getting involved with Wireless modules, the certification is a headache.
Yes, I once upon a time had a special cable splitter for the CD32 AUX port, what I recall from using it was that it was very slow and not so reliable. That a very long time ago though. No worry about wireless modules, anyone who want wireless null modem can buy a bluetooth module for close to nothing from DealExtreme and others. I am currently using JY-MCU bluetooth modules successfully with Minimig and MIST, as I describe here:

http://minimig.net/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=656

Quote:
A serial port would be possible but device resources an issue. Have not tried to see how much logic a PC16550 UART would require. My feature set is locked so this is out for now.
If there is a functional clockport, I already have Silver Surfer ready for it

Quote:
There is a compact flash slot for a CF HDD and a 44 pin ATA/IDE connector. I did consider purchasing the chips used for ATA to SD-card adaptors and mounting on board. I could not easily obtain the chips from a reputable source so my compromise was to provide the 44 pin ATA connector, this allows you to buy a cheap ATA to SD adaptor from Ebay.
Excellent! This also allows the storage on the 44 pin IDE connector to be located so that it can be reached from the outside, for example a small slit for a (micro) SD slot, or CF slot.

Quote:
Once I'm happy with the schematics and PCB layout, I'll upload a few piccies to my blog. Trying to balance time spent dealing with admin and design work with a busy day job is challenging.
Yes, no rush
Old 22 November 2015, 00:37   #472
kolla
Banned

Quote:
So that needs to be changed too, no wonder I was getting no image on SCART RGB.
I have made and modified quite few scart cables up through the years, it should not be too difficult for you to fix your your own cable, simply opening up one end and swap the pins.
Old 22 November 2015, 00:39   #473
kolla
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
My mistake. Standard over the counter SCART cables you would buy at a TV store DO cross wire the audio pins and video pins.
"video" here is composite though, right? RGB is still straight through.
Old 22 November 2015, 05:26   #474
xArtx

I still would like to know where the CD32 edge connector part comes from.
Noone else is going to have a go without that!
Old 22 November 2015, 06:37   #475
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolla View Post
it should not be too difficult for you to fix your your own cable, simply opening up one end and swap the pins.
It's not difficult, but it isn't standard. That cable will then only work with this adapter.
It's best if the standard is maintained.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xArtx View Post
Noone else is going to have a go without that!
But the beauty of kipper's adapter is that you don't have to deal with that part at all. It's an extender, so all you have to do is plug INTO the connector, a male PCB header, no need for anything extra.
Old 22 November 2015, 10:28   #476
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolla View Post
"video" here is composite though, right? RGB is still straight through.
Correct. But composite video on scart is rgb sync?
Old 23 November 2015, 19:33   #477
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Correct. But composite video on scart is rgb sync?
Yeah, the composite signal is needed for sync, this is why I am not getting anything but a black screen, there's no sync.
Old 03 December 2015, 14:01   #478
Amigajay

Bit late to reply but thanks for the update Stedy, interesting following your progress, look forward to some proto pics and final hardware design.
Did you decide on taking this to Kickstarter etc, or just do a pre-order on here when the times ready to bulk order?
Old 04 December 2015, 10:10   #479
xArtx

If the problem is composite vid wires crossed over on the PCB couldn’t you just cut the
correct composite signal in the cable and short them at one end?
Since there’s no composite video ever coming back to the Amiga.
Old 04 December 2015, 17:19   #480
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by xArtx View Post
If the problem is composite vid wires crossed over on the PCB couldn’t you just cut the
correct composite signal in the cable and short them at one end?
Since there’s no composite video ever coming back to the Amiga.
As said before: I don't want to ruin a SCART cable just for this.