English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 02 July 2009, 23:02   #441
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

PVC should be fine as it's a different type of polymer. I am not aware of beeb undergoing Retr0bright treatment yet, so you are in uncharted waters... take care, although I think you are experienced enough in this process now mate.

I want pictures, before and after please....the Wiki awaits them....

Old 03 July 2009, 04:04   #442
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
Own experience: PVC can be cleaned with chlorine mixed with some oxy (TAED). Since it already is plenty of chlor, it is safe to use it.
Old 03 July 2009, 15:05   #443
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Would someone be willing to Retr0brite an Amiga or two for me if PAID to do so???? If so please PM me!
Old 03 July 2009, 19:26   #444
Dimlow
Likes to be thought of as

Send a message via MSN to Dimlow Send a message via Yahoo to Dimlow
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkauer View Post
Own experience: PVC can be cleaned with chlorine mixed with some oxy (TAED). Since it already is plenty of chlor, it is safe to use it.
I'm not looking to clean the black PVC , just wondering is it would survive the process ok. I got three BBC's One is real yellow, the other BBC's came out ok with just a scrub a dub dub, but i think this one needs some treatment. I think i will knock up some retr0bright tomorrow if i have time and try it on a small area
Old 03 July 2009, 20:45   #445
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

@ Methanoid

If you are going to Retro Reunited in September, I am making a fairly large batch of Retr0bright gel to take with me. Your cases could be treated live for free at the show!!
Old 04 July 2009, 00:12   #446
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
@ Methanoid

If you are going to Retro Reunited in September, I am making a fairly large batch of Retr0bright gel to take with me. Your cases could be treated live for free at the show!!
I did check the website and Google maps and trainline but it came to:

Car: 200 miles, lots of petrol plus hotel plus fair entrance price
Train: Super duper advance cheapest scum class £45 plus hotel

Cheaper to buy a new case on eBay

But it was a kind suggestion and idea... and I did look properly!!!
Old 04 July 2009, 01:11   #447
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

AmiBay aren't actually doing anything official at the show, but I am willing to make up some Retr0bright gel for those that want to try it. I'll bring some small jars of it with me in the car and if you see me there, give me a nudge and I'll give you some to try.

Can't say fairer than that!
Old 23 July 2009, 06:46   #448
TjLaZer

Finally got some descent sun here in Seattle to try this out on a few yellowed machines last weekend. Did it on an Amiga mouse, A1000 keyboard and a Atari Mega ST 2 and keyboard and a very badly yellowed C=128 Power supply! Seems to work great! I did get some blooming on the Atari Mega though. I let the paste sit out and dry for too long. It was continuously drying out and I had to re apply the paste like every half hour it seemed. I think there was too much sun and the constant drying out that caused it. I did find that after you rinse and clean it off and dry it, you can apply some Armor All on it and the blooming is pretty much gone...
Old 23 July 2009, 07:26   #449
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

@TJLazer: Photos if you have them, preferably before and after.
Old 24 July 2009, 00:07   #450
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_hairy_bootson View Post
@TJLazer: Photos if you have them, preferably before and after.
exactamondo!!!
Old 31 July 2009, 14:07   #451
chaoticjelly

Hey guys,

I had been meaning to make this post for a while, basically here are the results I got the other week.. originally the Sega Saturn was absolutely yellowed to bu**ery so it is now considerably lightened.. in fact pure white in some places but very patchy!

I am not sure if the instructions to make the formula are correct? Or alternatively I'm thinking maybe my Oxy stuff isn't working as there was no fizzing/foaming etc when I added it, my mum tried a bit in the washing the other day and it didn't even get our whites super white!

I did try it on a SNES rear cartridge shell as well and it removed all of the yellowing , but I think that was a "lesser" or not as serious type of yellowing? and the label on the back got a bit faded I think.. wasn't sure how to mask it off successfully.

Thoughts? suggestions?
Old 03 August 2009, 14:35   #452
tonyyeb
Has the Amiga bug again

Send a message via MSN to tonyyeb
Looking pretty sweet!
Old 21 August 2009, 19:05   #453
kipper2k

Heres some pics of an A600 i just picked up...

Heres the before shots... i just give it some Ret0brite so lets see what happens, theres 8 hours of sun left today.
The A1200 keyboard above it is brand new so i amshowing it for comparative reasons. The floppy drive top is really rusty so that gets a coat of Black glossy rust paint. Maybe i should remove the top b4 i spray it

You can see where the warranty seal was so it gives an idea as to the extent of the yellowing. Lets see what it looks like tomorrow
Old 21 August 2009, 23:38   #454
kipper2k

ok, heres a sneak peek....

4 hours of good sunlight and heres another pic. I have slapped on more jel to continue. Hopefully we get a sunny day tomorrer, they've been far and few between here this year, we just managed to get rid of the ice lol

Old 25 August 2009, 16:14   #455
Techseeker

Great work guys, I just did the deed with my A1200, she is a 030/128MB/8GB SD, and was going rather yellow on the keyboard, a dose of 6% +Vanish oxy and sunlight for 2 days restored most of the keys to white. Still got a few with a hint of yellowing, but a huge improvement.

Old 25 August 2009, 20:49   #456
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

Blimey!

At this rate, all of the old Commodore kit will be restored to immaculate condition, and we will have screwed the market for 'mint condition' stuff sold for loads on certain auction sites.... muahahaha!!
Old 07 September 2009, 21:48   #457
cyberfox_it

Hello,

i've done it... And, you can't believe how my amiga 4000 is now...
I've used it even on keyboards keys or plastic parts, and it work good...

It was very very yellowed... Always used in a not smoke free environment...
And now... Seem to be new...

Remember to remove the commodore stick on the left upper corner, otherwise, it will loose the color (unfortunately i've forgot to remove it... ).
And remember to complete submerge the plastic you want to discolor, otherwise you could risk to have your plastic with two different grades of discoloration...
Old 08 September 2009, 03:54   #458
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Hiyas CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoticjelly View Post
Hey guys,

I had been meaning to make this post for a while, basically here are the results I got the other week.. originally the Sega Saturn was absolutely yellowed to bu**ery so it is now considerably lightened.. in fact pure white in some places but very patchy!

Thoughts? suggestions?
best thing to do here is to dismantle the unit and place the plastics in a hot wash (no higher than 60) in either the dish washer or basin, this will not only get any oil / grease / dirt off the plastic, but also the heat will open the plastics.

once done, wet the unit and apply the gel formular again, repeat every 45-60 minutes, make sure it doesn't dry out.

looking at the state of it now, 3 hours with a 30watt UV bulb should do it =)

I think perhaps a spray bottle of water will also help between gel replacements
Old 10 September 2009, 13:37   #459
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methanoid View Post
Would someone be willing to Retr0brite an Amiga or two for me if PAID to do so???? If so please PM me!
Or could someone supply some ready made Retrobrite that I just need to "activate" before use? Will pay
Old 10 September 2009, 21:27   #460
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

@ Methanoid

Now that I've figured out where Verulamium is, I could probably send you some. You will probably need a litre or so to be able to give the parts a few coats. I'm not sure if 12% H2O2 can be sent via the mail due to hazard labelling, so bear with me while I look into it.