English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.SPS (was CAPS)

Old 24 April 2012, 21:15   #441
breach
Banned

Yep, HRR and Pesky Muskrats working now. Thanks for the update.
Old 25 April 2012, 10:39   #442
MarkYoungIW

Jon,
Out of interest did you ever see Fudge? It was a module that you could use when you had keydiscs. You'd copy the content of the disc onto your harddrive, add a couple of lines to !Run to load fudge which it would then record the discops into a file called chocolate. You could then remove your keydisc, change the run file on the HD copy again in order that Fudge then replies to the discops from the file it had created called Chocolate, and the game would then run without the keydisc (with fudge replaying from the file chocolate).

I remember it being fairly sucessful and have just found a copy whilst trawling through looking for patches etc.

If you feel its of any use, I will zip it up and send it. Trying to see if I have an original of Cataclysm. Not looking good though!
Old 25 April 2012, 12:09   #443
Jon Abbott

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkYoungIW View Post
Out of interest did you ever see Fudge?
I've come across a few modules that do this to get around protection, if you have the source it will be worth a look.

Going to try to get scatterlist support in the next release, so we can start imaging. Going to be a bit hacky without a front-end, but worth a go.

I've not had any comments to the file structure above, so I'll assume there's no complaints or obvious oversights and will start coding for it.
Old 25 April 2012, 15:06   #444
MarkYoungIW

Had a quick look through the structure and it seems good to me. Seems fairly future and past proof.

Unfortuantely I don't have the source to Fudge, and annoyingly there is no author in the readme.

Hopefully I will get some more disc imaging done while its raining today, once I've sorted this lot out!!

Old 25 April 2012, 15:34   #445
Jon Abbott

I'd wait until I have ADFFS loading JFD files (I thought JFDI was amusing, so stuck to it - Jon's Floppy Disk Image)

The record code is now complete, just need to code a BASIC ripper to create the JFD file and add support into ADFFS to load it.
Old 25 April 2012, 15:39   #446
MarkYoungIW

There's going to be a mamouth convertor adf's, apd's, fdi's, jfdi's any advances!! : )
Old 25 April 2012, 15:49   #447
MarkYoungIW

Have just done an apd of The Cobalt Seed (1995) (TBA Software) as it was one I had been asked for.
Old 25 April 2012, 16:24   #448
Jon Abbott

Quote:
There's going to be a mamouth convertor adf's, apd's, fdi's, jfdi's any advances!! : )
The mythical IPF!

In theory, you can use the ripper to convert them - no need for a converter - doubt I'll ever directly support FDI or IPF.
Old 25 April 2012, 18:35   #449
Jon Abbott

Just converted Zarch from an APD to JFD and it's 98k! And that's a full disc image, I'm going to convert it from the original floppy next, to see how much small it becomes.

EDIT: I should probably point out, that Zarch in APD form is inflated due to the multiple densities - I was curious to see by just how much.

Last edited by Jon Abbott; 25 April 2012 at 18:56.
Old 25 April 2012, 18:56   #450
MarkYoungIW

98k! OK, you've got my attention!!!
Old 25 April 2012, 19:34   #451
Jon Abbott

Quote:
98k! OK, you've got my attention!!!
Don't get too excited, The Cobalt Seed, which is probably a worst case example, is 772k.

EDIT: ADFFS is now loading JFD's and I have a rudimentary BASIC APD converter. I'll make a start on the BASIC ripper to allow JFD creation from scratch tomorrow.

At some point I'll add code to allow APD's to be saved as JFD's directly from ADFFS and add in the delta change code.

Last edited by Jon Abbott; 25 April 2012 at 23:55.
Old 26 April 2012, 00:52   #452
antom

Sounds good Jon, looking forward to finally converting all my games etc to a reliable format after all these years!
Old 26 April 2012, 13:38   #453
MarkYoungIW

Have found a patch and got 'Overload (1989) (Clares).apd' running on the A3010 through ADFFS. I will send the apd and patch to you Jon its fairly simple. Until now I'd not managed to get Overload to run in Arcualtor either.
Old 28 April 2012, 10:21   #454
MarkYoungIW

In amongst the tons of stuff I have dug out, I have found a module to circumvent Computer Concept Dongle. However, I dont remember what software required it. Was it Impression and Sibelius? And how useful is it now?
Old 28 April 2012, 14:45   #455
Jon Abbott

The dongle was for Impression - the RISC PC I collected yesterday came with it and the dongle. Now I've had a chance to look through the floppies, I now have originals of the following:

2067BC
Arcturus
Black Angel
The Dungeon
Magnetoids
Star Fighter 3000
Stunt Racer 2000 (which is HD!)
Stunt Racer 2000 Extra Tracks
Xenon 2 Megablast

So, along with Zarch, I now have a good selection of protected originals to test imaging on - assuming they read okay.
Old 29 April 2012, 14:50   #456
breach
Banned

Hope it's not too late to give my thoughts on the idea for capturing protected discs on Acorns.

What you suggest sounds great, however, I'm not sure if it's workable in my situation. My only real system is a SA RiscPC, with RO4. Gave the Arc away years ago. So I don't think there's a way to capture games that don't run on a RiscPC with the suggested method, since it's necessary to play the game.

Would it be possible to do a "complete" capture of discs on the RiscPC without needing to play the game, and then, using an Arc emulator, optimise it to an image containing only what's needed?

Maybe my case is too uncommon for you to bother about, but I thought I'd mention it. All the progress made has been great so far.

MarkYoungIW: Wow, that's a lot of floppies you have to work through. Is Clares' Overload a different game to Paradise's Overload? (antom put a copy of Paradise's in The Zone.) Are your images available anywhere?
Old 29 April 2012, 17:44   #457
Jon Abbott

It's impossible to capture an image of a floppy with protection, without either doing a raw MFM dump, or knowing the disc geometry up front.

It's probably not as bad as you think, I've documented all the protection methods I've come across, so it may be possible to grab them if we know what protection method they're using. How many protected floppies are we talking about? I don't suppose you know, if you can't run them!

SA obviously severely restricts what you can run, as most protection methods use self modifying code, that will fail on a SA.

You probably want to image as many as you can into ADF and see what's left, we'll have to analyse them to see what methods they're using.
Old 29 April 2012, 18:26   #458
breach
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Abbott View Post
It's impossible to capture an image of a floppy with protection, without either doing a raw MFM dump, or knowing the disc geometry up front.
OK. And the MFM dump can't be done on Acorn machines?

Quote:
It's probably not as bad as you think, I've documented all the protection methods I've come across, so it may be possible to grab them if we know what protection method they're using. How many protected floppies are we talking about? I don't suppose you know, if you can't run them!
I have:
Cannon Fodder
Exodus
Flashback
Inferno
Overload
Quark

Might have some more (some were given away), and I know I had Big Bang and Revolver, but I can't find them anywhere.

Quark is protected, and I'm not sure of the others.
Old 29 April 2012, 20:07   #459
MarkYoungIW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Abbott View Post
I've documented all the protection methods I've come across
Where abouts did you document these? Would be interesting to have a look and see if any others spring to mind.
Old 29 April 2012, 21:27   #460
Jon Abbott

Quote:
Originally Posted by breach View Post
OK. And the MFM dump can't be done on Acorn machines?
Exactly.
Quote:
Where abouts did you document these? Would be interesting to have a look and see if any others spring to mind.
I'll send it to you offline, it needs tidying up before I post online.