English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 12 June 2015, 21:23   #441
Karpow
...generations ahead

Well, everything was working. Does Morpheus alter S-S some way? After I installed patches, apart from boot partition, all others went to NDOS-state again.
I guess large hd support was disabled again at some point as HDToolBox shows wrong size, under 8gigs for my whole hard disk again. Before patching it showed
the right size, over 111gigs. Right partition sizes are again shown on where you can add and delete partitions.

Checking S-S it is still supposed to load Don Adan's scsi.device 46.0 but alas, it's not doing it. Requesting version shows 40.12 (21-Dec-93) for scsi.device.

I can't trace the reason for this.
Old 12 June 2015, 23:16   #442
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Install patches changes the Startup-Sequence. Edit it and change it to load the scsi.device you wish to be loaded. If you prefer to use the previous Startup-Sequence it's stored as Startup-Sequence.bak
Old 13 June 2015, 15:59   #443
spannernick
Retro Nuts

is there anyway of making this work on a normal A1200 with 7 meg ram,so to make a slim down version of it..?
Old 13 June 2015, 17:14   #444
Karpow
...generations ahead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
Install patches changes the Startup-Sequence. Edit it and change it to load the scsi.device you wish to be loaded. If you prefer to use the previous Startup-Sequence it's stored as Startup-Sequence.bak
Something else must have changed too. I copied old Startup-Sequence (which was used before patching done with Morpheus) over the new one which was used before patching done with Morpheus. Don Adan's scsi.device 46.0 is now loaded during startup-sequence. I made it sure by changing ending back to "_A1200" and left noreboot from the end to see that A1200 indeed reboots two times and uses Adan's patched device. Naturally I edited S-S to load scsi.device with "_A1200" ending too.

Still for some reason, after workbench is loaded, requesting full version of scsi.device gives version 40.12 (21-Dec-93) and not Adan's patched device version 46.0. Large HD support is still disabled.
If I figured it out right, at some point during the Startup-Sequence (or other scripts), new Adan's scsi.device is probably re-replaced by the old one. I went trought S-S and other scripts but couldn't find the reason for this.

Any ideas?

Last edited by Karpow; 13 June 2015 at 18:15.
Old 13 June 2015, 17:26   #445
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Karpow I didn't make the part of the scsi on the patched s-s, it's the same that AmiKit for PC uses. But you can delete or disable ( ; ) all the part that referres to scsi.device and substitute it with the line you were using. There is no "magic", if you only have a line loading an scsi.device it will load it. Just make sure you are pointing to that scsi.device (you surely have it in DEVS).

@Spannernick no, sorry, if it could run with only 7mb ram it woudn't be AKReal. Also the accelerators with only that surely aren't fast enough.

You've got WinUAE though

Edit: I'm trying to improve the speed while keeping the amazing look. The new WBDock is an example: amazingly beautiful but also very very fast booting. Now I am trying also a new program on the works: a new Clock that will boot faster than any looking also awesome

Last edited by Retrofan; 13 June 2015 at 17:47.
Old 13 June 2015, 17:45   #446
spannernick
Retro Nuts

Quote:

@Spannernick no, sorry, if it could run with only 7mb ram it woudn't be AKReal. Also the accelerators with only that surely aren't fast enough.

You've got WinUAE though
Ok thanks,Might put on my Mega PI,and use it in Winuae too....
Old 13 June 2015, 18:23   #447
Karpow
...generations ahead

Quote:
Karpow I didn't make the part of the scsi on the patched s-s, it's the same that AmiKit for PC uses. But you can delete or disable ( ; ) all the part that referres to scsi.device and substitute it with the line you were using. There is no "magic", if you only have a line loading an scsi.device it will load it. Just make sure you are pointing to that scsi.device (you surely have it in DEVS).
Was only S-S altered during the patching and not any other scripts?
Old 13 June 2015, 19:33   #448
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

No, not any other script. If you want to load your scsi.device you have to put a line in the s-s like

IF EXISTS DEVS:scsi.device
C:LoadModule DEVS:scsi.device
EndIF

This is the list of patches::

Amigaguide.datatype 45.6
Console.device 44.10
FastFileSystem 45.16
IconLib 46.4
Layers.library 45.24
MultiView 45.10
RAM-Handler 44.24
Rexxsyslib.library 44.2
Shell 45.27
Workbench.library 45.132
Old 13 June 2015, 20:42   #449
Karpow
...generations ahead

I have found the problem on Startup-Sequence (with my HD anyway) and it is this line:

C:LoadModule >NIL: L:RamHandler L:Shell-Seg DEVS:console.device LIBS:layers.library REVERSE NOREBOOT

When I disabled this line, large HD support came back! Something on this line must be related to scsi.device.
AND when I now request scsi.device version on shell it says:
scsi.device 46.0 (13.05.13)

EDIT: This line is just BEFORE loading patched scsi.device. So, something must be preventing patched scsi.device to become resident.
Old 13 June 2015, 21:13   #450
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

That line has the modules loaded on the patched s-s. But it isn't on the original s-s, so I don't know why you had problems also with the original s-s not loading your scsi as long as you change it and put your command to load the scsi.device you wanted.

Anyway nice you've got it working now.

Edit: This is the new program, LittleClock by Thomas Rapp. Many, many thanks as he listened my requests. This is a 16 colors screenshot.
Yes, sometimes like this I have to recheck I'm using only 16 colors, but it's true (you can see the chip mem). Anyway I'm using here for the clock a 256 colors image. I prefer to use it as I think people should use more colors. I like to use 64.

Edit2: I have to thanks also to Jens Schönfeld from Individual Computers for giving permission to add in the next update the Indivision drivers (http://wiki.icomp.de/wiki/Indivision_AGA_MK2). I will make an installer that will let you install them with a click and have a couple of configurations to chose from, 800x600 full screen.

BTW don't miss the video showing the new WBDock [ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by Retrofan; 29 June 2015 at 10:37.
Old 14 June 2015, 14:02   #451
Karpow
...generations ahead

After some more detective work I found out what's preventing patched scsi.library becoming resident on that line.
It's the L:Shell-Seg. I removed it from the line and large HD support became permanent.

Problem 100% traced now.
Old 21 June 2015, 20:35   #452
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

@Karpow I've just installed a 16GB HD (BTW all using only the amiga and internet) and after using Install Patches I've added scsi.device 44.2 from Doobrey to Devs and changed the Loadmodule line of the s-s to:

Code:
C:LoadModule >NIL: L:Ram-Handler DEVS:scsi.device L:Shell-Seg Devs:console.device Libs:Layers.library REVERSE NOREBOOT
After rebooting, typing on a Shell Loadmodule list now it shows as resident modules:

ram-handler 44.24
scsi.device 44.2
shell 45.27
console.device 44.10
layers.library 45.27

So them all can be loaded.

There is a thing also to have in mind. AKReal will be increasing size on the HD as far as it adds more programs. Actually I am making the booting partition on my HD's with 840 MB.

And offtopic. About layers.library I've seen this video of one of the updates. It was 45.19, but look how amazing the improvement then [ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by Retrofan; 21 June 2015 at 20:47.
Old 22 June 2015, 00:47   #453
PeterK

LoadModule sometimes needs the options NOMEMFKICK or/and IGNOREVERIFY. Try the latter first.
Old 22 June 2015, 01:06   #454
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Thanks PeterK, it may be of help to Karpow.

In my case I'm finally starting making right now a custom rom reading the best guide, Mfilos's one. I thought it was too difficult to make it, but it doesn't seem so with his guide: http://www.mfilos.com/2010/12/guide-...kickstart.html
Edit: Yes, it works!. Well, not at first as I had hurry to try it and I didn't read the last part so I didn't disable the AmigaOS Rom Update and it was crashing, but now it works perfect. Anyway it runs now as fast as before, not more it seems. Surely with a burned Kickstart then it would be.

The main problem in a slow miggy using AKReal is the booting. After that it runs fast if you use for example my 16 Colors Ken´s icons. You can of course move to WBStartup/Disabled a lot of things that make it prettier.

Edit: BTW these last two days I've updated both of the Icons packs for the next 8.5 update: Mattahan's and 16 colors Ken's Icons. They take a lot of work to update. For Mattahan sometimes it's not only to make or search for new icons but to create them merging images (e.g. how do you make a folder for ShapeShifter?), and for the 16 colors Ken's icons, there are two different packs inside to change. I've also fixed some missing icons of the Mattahan pack and I will include on the readme the commands I use with Imageconverter (fpu needed) if you want to create icons like these.

Edit: I've edited my post about "Making it faster".

Edit: The new Indivision MKII program will include also Mr B´s config based on Bymarcao's one.

Edit: I don't remember if I said that the new dock is very configurable. I've added a new image for the background:

As I say it's very configurable:

Last edited by Retrofan; 02 July 2015 at 09:58.
Old 02 July 2015, 09:58   #455
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

The settings are changed with the icon info. For example the background height is setted as PLATTER, the background as TEXTURE, and you can also change its transparency. You can have a nice MAC setup like this:

Edit: Well, in fact I've just modified "Better Config" in Tools so you can have this RTG setup on WinUAE with a couple of clicks, having the Picasso rom.

Edit2: Now I am working to give another option to Better config:

Edit3: It's already done, it works perfect. This setup moves a ton of things from a side to another to make it look like this and it uses 1024x768. The new copper icons will appear only when you select this setup, and it won't work if you are using a different set of icons (Mattahan's or 16 Colors Ken's Icons).

It also adds a new visual Theme, "AmiKit 8", but only here. Why? Because it doesn't look right with the palette AKReal normally uses (by PeterK), so it only will be here. We are changing of course the Full Palette configuration.

Don't worry though, Better Config will return/change all of the settings if you select later another Better Config option. BTW each change takes only a second on WinUAE .

Remember that with "Better Config" in Tools you can change the complete setup whenever, from 16 colors to RTG if you've got the Picasso rom for WinUAE and you add a Picasso IV Zorro III to the configuration. Once you've got it in the config you don't have to change the WinUAE config anymore and you can try all of the setups.

Last edited by Retrofan; 17 July 2015 at 14:03.
Old 04 July 2015, 20:29   #456
spudje

Yes, that looks good! The green theme! So now I am willing to try it on my A3000 with Cybervision 64. Is this now part of the download on http://real.amiga.sk/downloads.htm?
Old 04 July 2015, 20:51   #457
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Great you like it spudje. No, I've just made it and it will be on the next 8.5 Live update.

But about these configurations with "Better Config", they are -the ones for RTG- thought to be used with WinUAE adding a Picasso IV Zorro III (and the rom for Picasso). Of course if you've got it for real it will work the same and you just have to use "Better Config" to have it, but if you don't have a Picasso IV but another graphic card you should install the drivers first (disabling CyberbugFixAga) or the config (it has it disabled) and then before rebooting install your RTG drivers and your Screen mode.

In any case you need RTG to run it or the new MAC setup or the previous one, now called simply "AKReal". You can of course use "Better Config" for other AGA setups without RTG .

But remember that it always will change the Screenmode. That's ok for WinUAE with the Picasso, but not if you are using another graphic card or if you can't run SuperPlus with an Indi for AGA. BTW my update includes an installer to have running SuperPlus full screen or HighGFX with a couple of clicks if you've got an Indivision MKII.

Edit: I've seen that I can run it too using AGA HighGFX 1024x768, but I will need to add another option and to change the AmiStart configuration as it looks corrupted just changing the screenmode. I already use two different AmiStart configs for AGA or RTG-

And if you want to try "Better Config" you can in fact install AKReal from the download page, update it with the Live updates till 8.4 and try on WinUAE using "Better Config" on Tools the RTG setup it offers just adding as commented a Picasso IV Zorro III and having the Picasso rom.

[ Show youtube player ]

Edit: Now including an AGA HighGFX 1024x768, 256 colors setup for "AmiKit PC"

Note: The "AmiKit PC" setup uses a Visual Theme, "AmiKit 8" that won't be selectable as option with MorpheuZ because it needs a different FullPalette preferences that are only available using "Better Config" and selecting the "AmiKit PC" setup.

@spudje with Better Config there is also an AGA 256 colors "AmiKit PC" setup that uses the same configurations of the RTG setup but the AmiStart config. If you have a real RTG it can be easier to try that AGA mode on WinUAE, change it to 16 colors, use on Tools "Disable CGXAga&Birdie", change the screen mode to any your Amiga can handle and then on your real Amiga install your RTG drivers. After that just change the screenmode and you've got the "AmiKit PC" setup running with your hardware. Just edit the s-s to enable Birdie again (not the tool to recover CGXAga&Birdie). If AmiStart doesn't look right you can use the config I use for it and RTG. Anyway AmiStart doesn't look right with all of the screenmodes, so you surely have to switch to 24 bits.

Last edited by Retrofan; 20 July 2015 at 11:19.
Old 12 July 2015, 18:34   #458
spudje

Eager to try this out, Amikit is at 8.5 now. Does that mean Amikit Real's live update too? Or should I have some more patience
Old 12 July 2015, 20:21   #459
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudje View Post
Eager to try this out, Amikit is at 8.5 now. Does that mean Amikit Real's live update too? Or should I have some more patience
Yes, but it's work in process.

But there is something important to take into account. The Live Update is the best way to update AKReal, but it needs to save all of the update files for both versions to your HD while it installs them. So a larger HD for many of you can be necessary, and maybe you'll have to prepare a larger partition for it.

We knew this happens. The more things it improves/adds. the more room it needs for that. I'm actually using 950Mb for the booting partition, although later it uses less, but as I've said it needs much more room for a Live Update, but it fits of course with 950Mb.

I've got to check yet the minimum size of the Booting partition you can use for the update when I finish the update.

Edit. NOTE: The installer will look for 180Mb of free room in your booting partition.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NOTE: AKReal has been updated to 8.5 with the Live Update http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=67578&page=5

Last edited by Retrofan; 20 July 2015 at 11:06.
Old 19 July 2015, 14:03   #460
spudje

I am almost done configuring my ClassicWB for my A3000. After that this is absolutely what I'm going to install on the other system partition.