English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 12 March 2021, 07:21   #4541
Timtheloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
Not sure what's going on, I tried the Sonnet with builds 448, 417, 403, back to 380 and that failed with trying initialize the board. Swapped in a Rapture and I'm getting No system VGA memory detected (pcidma) with the same versions. Still knifing around.

Good morning all

@grelbfarlk am I reading this right you are getting the same error after trying the Sonnet? I notice you said you swapped in a Rapture and you get the same error

What I’ll do is first is check my SD on my other build with the MKII Mediator to see if the error transfers

If not I’ll try the apocalypse in this machine again and see if the error goes away
Old 12 March 2021, 09:35   #4542
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

I guess you need voodoomemos. My memory is failing me.
Old 12 March 2021, 11:23   #4543
torsti76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedeon View Post
Last time I tried with my fake Spider, this wasn't necessary. You need to set VoodooMem appropriately, though.
Old 12 March 2021, 13:38   #4544
Timtheloon

Sonnet 7200 PCI programming

Quote:
Originally Posted by torsti76 View Post
Last time I tried with my fake Spider, this wasn't necessary. You need to set VoodooMem appropriately, though.

Hi Torsti, Was this with a Sonnet, I don’t need this with my Apocalypse only the Sonnet

I think I forgot to update that even with the spiderUSB removed it still states its unable to allocate VGA memory so spiderUSB is not the reason for this

Quote:

@Hedeon I know the github guide was written near the start of your creation but it still states VoodooMemOS = Yes for the Sonnet config maybe because most of us have moved over to the Apocalypse/Ragnarok card it never been looked at since?

Anyway I think I’ve got it stable again even though it needs VoodooMemOS saying Yes I’ll keep ya all updated

Thanks for all the assistance
Old 12 March 2021, 22:02   #4545
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timtheloon View Post
Good point, it normally just freezes or the computer restarts with the spider installed. But sometimes the computer does gives an error message

Pretty sure I encountered exactly the same thing a couple of years ago. It'll all be on here about 2,000 posts ago Basically, the USB card in the mediator triggered a crash after a few seconds of running. Solution was easy: remove the USB card
Old 12 March 2021, 22:26   #4546
Timtheloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangler View Post
Pretty sure I encountered exactly the same thing a couple of years ago. It'll all be on here about 2,000 posts ago Basically, the USB card in the mediator triggered a crash after a few seconds of running. Solution was easy: remove the USB card
think I've cracked the card order and I'm so glad that I found my Quake III Gold CD and both the 17.13 & 17.14beta libraries load the game I'm just slowly tweaking the settings to see what works best for me

Old 12 March 2021, 22:29   #4547
grelbfarlk

As I recall it was after the Harrier boards were working that we didn't need VoodooMemOS=Yes. But I guess MPC107 boards still/did need VoodooMemOS=No. Like on this system with Ragnarok I have it set to no. I also thought there was an endian related memory trashing bug that went away if it was set to No.

Last edited by grelbfarlk; 12 March 2021 at 22:34.
Old 12 March 2021, 23:24   #4548
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Quote:
I also thought there was an endian related memory trashing bug that went away if it was set to No.
Yes. As also the UAE team found out recently. CHIP memory has a lower priority than the GFX memory added to system memory. So it is sorted after this gfx memory (gfx memory has attribute $2005) in the memory list. The header for this gfx $2005 memory is in gfx memory itself. Now, if the voodoo or Radeon for that matter changes endianess, this header is garbled. Any check or allocation of CHIP memory will result in a memory list corrupt guru. Like WB checking for amount of memory left.
Old 13 March 2021, 01:58   #4549
MoonDragn

Quote:
They aren't so expensive compared to buying the Zorro versions of all this stuff. Two of my MK-2 mediators I picked up used for a little over $100.

If you compare buying Zorro versions of an RTG board, Ethernet or Sound it all ends up being about the same price or slightly cheaper, before you consider what it costs for a CSPPC.

I'm not really sure what a redesign of the Prometheus would cost Prometheus for a non-AA3000+ version. But I can't imagine it would cost less than $150 in parts, cost of assembly and testing and recoup of redesign time and it's probably up over $300, just like the Mediator.
I am guessing you mean used? They are priced at $300 usd in the Amikit store.

Considering the Vampire 1200 V2 is $540 but includes IDE interface and graphics/memory/accelerator, it is much better for me and it fits all inside the A1200. I have to move the A1200 into a tower before taking advantage of the mediator.

I have pci graphics cards, ide controller cards, wifi cards, lan cards, scsi raid cards, serial cards, but there is no guarantee any of it would work with a mediator/A1200 either.

I even have 2 old GTX 480s that I never really used. I wonder if you could get those to work with an Amiga in SLI?

Last edited by MoonDragn; 13 March 2021 at 02:03.
Old 13 March 2021, 02:44   #4550
grelbfarlk

Quote:
They aren't so expensive compared to buying the Zorro versions of all this stuff. Two of my MK-2 mediators I picked up used for a little over $100.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonDragn View Post
I am guessing you mean used? They are priced at $300 usd in the Amikit store.

I have pci graphics cards, ide controller cards, wifi cards, lan cards, scsi raid cards, serial cards, but there is no guarantee any of it would work with a mediator/A1200 either.

I even have 2 old GTX 480s that I never really used. I wonder if you could get those to work with an Amiga in SLI?
Sure write drivers for whatever. You can look at Elbox's compatibility list to see what is currently supported.
Or since the Prometheus is open source, redesign it with PCIe slots and write some Nvidia drivers, there are some PCIe PPC boards available which could be supported.

The A1200 isn't supported by the Sonnetlib and may never be.
Old 13 March 2021, 23:07   #4551
Timtheloon

Hi all, after finally getting my sonnet build up and running and stable again, touchwood.

I have been testing with the new 17.14 against build #450 of 17.13

Everything seems to work fine with 17.14 with the exception of Quake 2

It just loads into a grey screen and crashes I have mentioned this before but thought this was due to the stability issues I was having back then.

Does Quake 2 need some tweaks for this library?
Old 13 March 2021, 23:31   #4552
trixster
Guru Meditating

Hyperion or Cowcat Quake 2?
Old 14 March 2021, 00:03   #4553
Timtheloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixster View Post
Hyperion or Cowcat Quake 2?
Hyperion Version
Old 14 March 2021, 19:54   #4554
Timtheloon

Hi all

You lot probably know about scanPCI 0.9

Why don’t we use this more often it give lots of info most which goes way over my head

Like my next question

I notice with ScanPCI it states: Detected Parity Error. What does this mean it states it on all the PCI cards with the exception of the sound card

Last edited by Timtheloon; 14 March 2021 at 20:01.
Old 14 March 2021, 20:27   #4555
trixster
Guru Meditating

Regarding Quake 2 - check what you have gl_ext_multitexture set to. Should be 0 or 1 for a voodoo
Old 14 March 2021, 20:50   #4556
Timtheloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixster View Post
Regarding Quake 2 - check what you have gl_ext_multitexture set to. Should be 0 or 1 for a voodoo
It was set to 1, I also tried 0 no change sadly still grey screen and crash with 17.14 Beta library fine with the 17.13
Old 14 March 2021, 21:07   #4557
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Soooo why not try the cowcat version
Old 14 March 2021, 21:16   #4558
Timtheloon

Quote:
Soooo why not try the cowcat version
No reason this one worked so I never needed to try another, I will download cowcat's version and report back
Old 15 March 2021, 03:02   #4559
grelbfarlk

The Hyperion Q2 sources are pretty easy to build mods from. Quake 2 has a lot of really great mods both single and multiplayer, I have Superheroes 2, Brazzen, Chaos and a couple others that are fun.
Old 15 March 2021, 12:19   #4560
Timtheloon

Update:

I decided to do a fresh install of Quake II (Hyperion) and tested it with 17.14 and It works so there must be a setting on my original install which is not correct

Now I also copied the folder before starting it up so I could try Cowcat’s version hope this is the version you mean @Hedeon
Q2_beta4_gcc_wos.lha it starts up but after the Id intro it gives this error

Error: SZ_GetSpace: overflow without allowoverflow set

This happens with both libraries.

Speaking of Mods I found a Q2 MODS Disk which I didn’t realise I had so will be looking into all these too