English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. System

Old 09 June 2023, 16:36   #4221
PeterK

No Carlo, I would not use "Autosorting" on my Aros systems, and I don't know any tool for AmigaOS. Workbench would do something similar when you release all icon positions and then never use cleanup, but who wants that?

OS 3.2 has an Arexx script for "Auto-Arrange Icons" for the WB menu, which also adjusts the window size automatically, but by doing that all icon positions get saved and the locations are permanent again. Any new icon without position data will appear at the next free location.

@EctoOne
I just looked into the PIconTools to see if there is something similar to "Autosorting", but PIconSnap and PIconGridSnap are working different. But then I saw PIconBackup, which can save all icons from a source directory tree to another location or as LHA archive. Maybe something interesting for you?
https://aminet.net/package/util/wb/PIconTools
Old 09 June 2023, 16:58   #4222
AMIGASYSTEM

Grazie Pietro, the "Automatic Sorting" is very convenient on AROS, you don't have to worry about sorting the icons, any volume or folder will always have "sorted" icons, even the Workbench ones, and the various volumes introduced as CDs, DVDs, Pendrives connected to the system will have "sorted" icons.

"Automatic sorting" does not save the window size, however; on AROS it saves only the "parent" window, and all folder and subfolder windows contained will always have the size of the "parent" window.
Old 09 June 2023, 17:00   #4223
PeterK

Quote:
Originally Posted by EctoOne View Post
Good to know. But if I manage to adapt my script, it won't matter. Because then I do not need to change the type. And yes, I was using CopyIcon to replace the old icons with the mixed ones, so I assume it doesn't matter either because the original data is kept.
Be careful with CopyIcon options when you use it from the GUI. CopyIcon can have tooltypes enabled like DropPlanar, DropNewIcon and Frameless.
Quote:
But this is done because of which version gets copied to the other right? There's no specific command for each case. At least I can't remember seeing one.
No, there is also a different option in these ProcessIcon lines, either CCI or CII.
Quote:
Hmm, I'm a total noob when it comes to the technical side of things.
When I replaced some icons, I noticed the NewIcons tooltypes in some icons, although I'm not sure if it was the source or original destination.
Anyway, what also confused me was that the icons lost their borders when I replaced them using CopyIcon.
Again, CopyIcon can have tooltypes enabled like DropPlanar, DropNewIcon and Frameless. Check that, these options can eliminate the work of IconMixer or remove the borders.
Old 09 June 2023, 17:27   #4224
EctoOne

I think I'm getting old. I totally forgot about the CopyIcon tooltypes. Yes, I do have FRAMELESS active. You don't know by chance a way to revert that? Sadly, disabling that and just copy an icon over itself doesn't help.

And I also didn't spot the CCI/CII difference. Luckily I haven't started working on that new script. That might have been confused the hell outta me if I used the wrong argument.
Old 09 June 2023, 17:42   #4225
PeterK

You will need OS 3.9 at least to change the Frameless flag, which can be done with the icon module of Report+ (a very nice tool) or in RAWBInfo (or with the 3.9 IconEdit, which sometimes changes the icon size accidentally on saving).
Old 09 June 2023, 19:02   #4226
EctoOne

Thanks again. For some reason I couldn't get Report+ to actually set the flag but RAWBInfo works fine.

Edit: Don't know if this a bug or not but I noticed that the rad/ram disk icons are not using the planar icons when color icons are disabled. Might be the case for other devices but I haven't tried it.

Last edited by EctoOne; 09 June 2023 at 19:37.
Old 10 June 2023, 00:57   #4227
pixie

With Icon Editor, dpaint.js, photoshop and (obviously) you icon.library allowed me to give a decent treatment to the oldies but goldies 3.1 icons. They had a 2:1 ratio that screws up bigly in the todays resolution.
They use shadow instead of the glow treatmeant
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	newold.png
Views:	49
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	79319  
Old 10 June 2023, 14:23   #4228
PeterK

Quote:
Don't know if this a bug or not but I noticed that the rad/ram disk icons are not using the planar icons when color icons are disabled. Might be the case for other devices but I haven't tried it.
Confirmed! Although, it's not so easy to create a mixed disk icon, I finally managed to store one in Envarc:Sys/def_Ram.info correctly with GlowIcon and MWB images. But after setting WB preferences to "No ColorIcons" and rebooting the system, just the internal default 4-color disk icon appeared for Ram Disk:. The same happened for the next two disks, but the following disks were displayed with their own planar images.

To be honest, I don't know what really goes wrong, but it seems to depend on the early stage of loading Workbench after booting up. And these disk icons are not even reloaded correctly by WB refresh. But when I load them into WB info or IconEdit the images of the mixed icons are appearing.

I think we have to live with this issue, because usually ColorIcons are enabled and everything works just fine. No fix planned yet.

Last edited by PeterK; 10 June 2023 at 14:40.
Old 10 June 2023, 14:28   #4229
PeterK

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie View Post
With Icon Editor, dpaint.js, photoshop and (obviously) you icon.library allowed me to give a decent treatment to the oldies but goldies 3.1 icons. They had a 2:1 ratio that screws up bigly in the todays resolution.
They use shadow instead of the glow treatmeant
That looks perfect and will make a lot of Amiga users with non-interlaced screens happy!

Are that OS4 or PNG icons? Btw, Screenmode and PrinterPS still have a simple shadow in your Preferences window, and the drawer icons, too.

I recently modified my script (not published), so that it can also load old planar and MWB icons via ProcessIcon and convert them into PNG icons. It doesn't look very good for old 4-color icons with only one image, because ProcessIcon creates a darker second image instead of inverting the colors. I didn't test yet how good ImageConverter could scale the converted planar icons with the options "-w <width> -h <height> -force" or maybe other options.

Last edited by PeterK; 10 June 2023 at 14:47.
Old 10 June 2023, 16:49   #4230
EctoOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
Confirmed! Although, it's not so easy to create a mixed disk icon, I finally managed to store one in Envarc:Sys/def_Ram.info correctly with GlowIcon and MWB images. But after setting WB preferences to "No ColorIcons" and rebooting the system, just the internal default 4-color disk icon appeared for Ram Disk:. The same happened for the next two disks, but the following disks were displayed with their own planar images.
Yeah, I think I managed to get a proper mixed image because I added the switch type argument to your script. And turned it into disk after I placed it Envarc:sys/. But when I tried to snapshot the window to a certain size/position and to show all files, the newly created disk.info on ram lost the planar image. It was set to that small NewIcons icon, when newicons is missing.

Maybe I could try to snapshot it when I put it directly on some temporary disk as disk.info and then copy it back as default icon.

Regarding showing the default 4 color icon, isn't that based on what version of DefIcons is used? For the one from NewIcons the name must include the term disk, like def_ramDISK.info where as on the newer versions it's just def_ram.info. Although, if I remember correctly, your library doesn't need Deficons for the ram disk. But it is weird that you got the default disk icon and I got the tiny newicons icon.

But yeah, take your time on fixing this. At least it's known now.
Old 10 June 2023, 17:19   #4231
pixie

Quote:
That looks perfect and will make a lot of Amiga users with non-interlaced screens happy!

Are that OS4 or PNG icons? Btw, Screenmode and PrinterPS still have a simple shadow in your Preferences window, and the drawer icons, too.
I made it PNG. I clicked in some icons so that I could show some selected states also.

Quote:
I recently modified my script (not published), so that it can also load old planar and MWB icons via ProcessIcon and convert them into PNG icons. It doesn't look very good for old 4-color icons with only one image, because ProcessIcon creates a darker second image instead of inverting the colors. I didn't test yet how good ImageConverter could scale the converted planar icons with the options "-w <width> -h <height> -force" or maybe other options.
It could be handy and could help me in the process, I am using ppaint to get the original icons and enhance it
Old 11 June 2023, 02:12   #4232
PeterK

Quote:
But when I tried to snapshot the window to a certain size/position and to show all files, the newly created disk.info on ram lost the planar image. It was set to that small NewIcons icon, when newicons is missing.

Maybe I could try to snapshot it when I put it directly on some temporary disk as disk.info and then copy it back as default icon.

Regarding showing the default 4 color icon, isn't that based on what version of DefIcons is used? For the one from NewIcons the name must include the term disk, like def_ramDISK.info where as on the newer versions it's just def_ram.info. Although, if I remember correctly, your library doesn't need Deficons for the ram disk. But it is weird that you got the default disk icon and I got the tiny newicons icon...
Ok, your issue is on WB 3.1, not 3.9 where I did my tests, because you said that you disabled the ColorIcons in WB preferences, a switch in 3.9, which nobody should use by default. I have to check that again under 3.1 now, but I guess there could also be some sort of racing conditions with installing my gfx-patch when the Workbench opens and loads the very first disks. That needs more investigation and it was always a very critical phase at the end of booting up the system. Nothing is reporting icon.library how far that process has already been gone or what WB is doing at the moment, and icon.library is not a task, it has to be called by other tasks. The Workbench task does not even open icon.library itself (but maybe ramlib).
Old 11 June 2023, 02:27   #4233
PeterK

Here is another preview of my script for converting icons to PNG (or maybe a teaser as pixie called it). It should give you the chance to find the remaining bugs before I send it with the last icon.library update to Aminet.

The script can load all icon formats now, planar icons by using ProcessIcon, too.

It also accepts 3 options for ImageConverter on the commandline before the filename is supplied: WIDTH <w>, HEIGHT <h>, and on demand also FORCE to ignore aspect ratio, but these options are only required for the additional scaling of images. Have a look into the Readme for details.
Attached Files
File Type: lha ConvertToPngIcon.lha (349.9 KB, 19 views)
Old 11 June 2023, 06:56   #4234
EctoOne

Quote:
Ok, your issue is on WB 3.1, not 3.9 where I did my tests
Uhm, no. I noticed that issue on 3.9. I mean there are no workbench prefs in 3.1. And I haven't used color icons for a long time. It only happened because I installed 3.9 to see what was going on with the MagicWB transparency and the ProcessIcon solution you gave me.

But I must say, that it isn't a proper installation. I'm currently messing around with https://aminet.net/package/util/cli/DefSys to see if it is possible to have multiple workbench versions on one drive. And I have it set up where I add assigns to directorys that all versions can use. But I don't think that I have anything that would somehow mix versions. I basically just copied each wb version to its own folder, which then becomes SYS: depending on certain conditions.

I can copy the content of my wb39 dir back to its own drive and see if there's a difference, but I honestly doubt that it would make a difference.
Old 11 June 2023, 08:26   #4235
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Amazing work Peter! The width/height options are insane and quality is fantastic.
Also supporting MWB icons to PNG was also a really good idea.

Can you explain a bit why using ConvertPNGtoOS4 is a bad idea before running your script? (you know I'm a fan and I have it running in my S-S)
Is it because the converted to PNG image will be converted automatically to OS4 format? (I anyway disable the last Copy in your script as I want only to convert without altering my icons).

Can't thank you enough my friend \o/

Last edited by mfilos; 11 June 2023 at 10:52.
Old 11 June 2023, 13:00   #4236
PeterK

Quote:
Uhm, no. I noticed that issue on 3.9.
Now I could reproduce it after snapshotting my Ram Disk icon, what I usually never do, because I prefer to unsnap all disk icons, so that they are arranged automatically by Workbench.

After a snapshot I got the 4-color internal (floopy) disk image, which did not happen after a normal writing. I have to check what's going wrong with snaphot for disks. If you get a small dot instead of the 4-color disk then this could happen when ChipMem is still used for icons instead of FastMem. Are you not using FBlit or P96 with Prefs/Workbench set to "Images" "In Other Memory"?

Another possible reason for problems with MWB images in ColorIcons could be that they use more than 3 bitplanes. By default my library replaces these too large planar images by internal defaults in ColorIcons. That can be avoided for MWB icons with the option Reduce8planesTo3.

In general I think it's not a good idea to access a system with ColorIcons from an older OS with an old icon.library. It may look nicer to have MWB images stored in the ColorIcons, but as soon as you would write or snapshot these seeming MWB icons with the old icon.library it will cut off the OS 3.5 structure extension and you will lose the ColorIcon images.

Last edited by PeterK; 11 June 2023 at 13:28.
Old 11 June 2023, 13:14   #4237
PeterK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfilos View Post
Can you explain a bit why using ConvertPNGtoOS4 is a bad idea before running your script? (you know I'm a fan and I have it running in my S-S)
Is it because the converted to PNG image will be converted automatically to OS4 format? (I anyway disable the last Copy in your script as I want only to convert without altering my icons).
Yes, you won't get PNG icons in T:NewStyle anymore either, only T:PngImages and T:PngIcons will still contain PNG data. The latter will also be converted to OS4 as soon as you save them the next time via icon.library.

If you just need the PNG images for further processing then it might be no problem to keep ConvertPngToOS4 enabled, even better if you want to get OS4 icons back after a size scaling for example (the same for ConvertTrueColor if you want ColorIcons back).
Old 11 June 2023, 15:15   #4238
James

Quote:
YOU are the master!
There is only one master here.
Old 11 June 2023, 20:28   #4239
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Quote:
Yes, you won't get PNG icons in T:NewStyle anymore either, only T:PngImages and T:PngIcons will still contain PNG data. The latter will also be converted to OS4 as soon as you save them the next time via icon.library.
Well in my system that only uses OS4 style icons it's not a bug but a feature
Tbh PNGimages for further editing is what I need plus if I ever wanna make a smaller theme-ing (like 46x instead of default 64x that OS4 icons have) it's just a simple declaration in ToolsDaemon and enable the last Copy command and voila
Fast OS4 icons of whatever size from any source
Old 11 June 2023, 22:57   #4240
EctoOne

Quote:
After a snapshot I got the 4-color internal (floopy) disk image, which did not happen after a normal writing.

Are you not using FBlit or P96 with Prefs/Workbench set to "Images" "In Other Memory"?
OK, I neither had P96 installed (I was still in the clean up/update phase) nor was the option set to Other Memory. Now I'm getting the default 4 color floppy icon instead of the dot icon.
Quote:
That can be avoided for MWB icons with the option Reduce8planesTo3.
I'm not using MWB icons, I'm using Clover Icons. So, adding that command to S-S didn't help.
Quote:
In general I think it's not a good idea to access a system with ColorIcons from an older OS with an old icon.library.
I don't think I'm doing this. I have 3.1, 3.9 and 3.2 installed on the same drive. And I added your library to each version.