English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. System

Old 04 June 2023, 16:43   #4201
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Thanks as always for your awesome solutions Peter my friend.
The loadresource worked like a charm but will see if I'm gonna use it, as you said, it's not important if you have everything set in the tooltypes.

Concerning the issue with the brackets the thing is that there is no .bra, .ket in the script to change them :S
Since EctoOne doesn't experience these issues under WB3.1 I guess it could be something from 3.2.x but I haven't made my usual troubleshooting to support it (yet).

Cheers man
Old 05 June 2023, 10:42   #4202
PeterK

Hi Marios,

here is another update of my script, which is still under construction ... WIP

The problem with the parentheses is caused by misunderstood pattern matching in the filename like "file(abc)name" which confuses the List LFORMAT commands in my script. I have no idea yet how to fix that, but the invalid filenames are detected now when the List fails and the script quits with an error message.

There are several differences in the shell and the execute command, and maybe in List too, that can lead to another script behavior when you compare 3.1 with 3.5/3.9 or 3.1.4/3.2. More than 20 years ago I already noticed that a script that I once wrote for 3.1 didn't work anymore under 3.9. A lot of small details have changed and some can cause a failure.

I also changed the names of the second icon images from #?.PNG2 to #?_2.PNG for you.

attached is the new script only, the other files are in the previous update somewhere above this post. Since I just zipped it under Windows make sure that the S and E bits are set and that you also replace the script found by your PATH. And use icon.library #576 from the 1 page.

Last edited by PeterK; 11 June 2023 at 02:29.
Old 05 June 2023, 13:35   #4203
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Hi Peter my friend.
Scripts works very nice!!! (thanks for the _2)
I see you get an invalid filename when brackets are in filename (which is good cause it's fixable manually) instead of trashing the script! Nice one.
EctoOne fixed the issue with the brackets by using the Match command but you can see more of his work on his script as I understand a lot but haven't examined the script much.
Old 08 June 2023, 12:45   #4204
EctoOne

Hi, um this might be a dumb question but is there a way to disable the semi transparency with MagicWB icons on OS 3.1? It is visible in the first screen shot of the first post. You can see the background pattern through the drawer icons in the top window. It's a little bit ugly when using darker background images.

I tried all versions of the library but there was no difference.
Old 08 June 2023, 13:10   #4205
PeterK

Hi EctoOne,

no, on WB 3.1 the transparency is achieved by the NewIcons patch, with the intention to make ColorIcons transparent. But the NewIcons patch uses pen 0 for this purpose. WB 3.1 can't handle transparency masks.

If you don't want transparency then you can change the settings in NiPrefs. You can also switch borders on or off. Transparency and borders off gives a gray background around the icons, which doesn't look good for ColorIcons if you have a wallpaper or background pattern.

The easiest way to improve this and many other things is to use a workbench.library v44+, which won't need the NewIcons patch, but another FBlit.cfg and DefIcons v44.
Old 08 June 2023, 13:44   #4206
EctoOne

Ahh, I never thought about checking NewIcons prefs for the transparency setting. It's all looking good now. Thanks.
And I do know about using a different wb lib would make things easier but for this case I wanted to keep it as original as possible.
Old 08 June 2023, 15:04   #4207
PeterK

There is another solution for MWB icons on WB 3.1 when you want to keep transparency enabled for ColorIcons.

You can convert MWB icons into ColorIcons with the tool ProcessIcon by Dirk Stoecker:

Code:
ProcessIcon mwbicon MWB2CI
I've just integrated that into my script to convert further to PNG. (Not yet released)
Old 08 June 2023, 15:13   #4208
EctoOne

Hmm, I might look into that. I already have a bunch of menu entries for ProcessIcon in DirOpus. I'm curious about if they still look the same on a 3.1 system without your library.
Old 08 June 2023, 15:27   #4209
PeterK

No, the OS 3.1 icon.library cannot display palette based ColorIcons, but you could finally put both image pairs into the same icon with my IconMixer in the Bonus drawer of the Aminet package. That would give you ColorIcon images, converted from MWB by ProcessIcon, for icon.library v44+ and also the original planar MWB images for the older systems.

Edit: ProcessIcon leaves the old planar MWB images in the new ColorIcon anyway, no IconMixer needed.

Last edited by PeterK; 08 June 2023 at 18:13.
Old 08 June 2023, 17:20   #4210
EctoOne

Wait, don't I need WB lib 44 for coloricons? Because using ProcessIcon MWB2CI didn't really fix the transparency for me.
I used the command on 3.1 and 3.2 and they were still partial transparent until I disabled transparency in NewIcons prefs.
Although at this point I'm not even sure anymore if they are MWB icons or something else, since I used CopyIcon to change the original icons.
And to be honest, I don't really care that much. You gave me a solution to fix the transparency and 99% of my icons are MWB style. And the few ones which would look better with transparency, I barely see them.
Old 08 June 2023, 17:37   #4211
PeterK

Quote:
Originally Posted by EctoOne View Post
MWB2CI didn't really fix the transparency for me.
It works for me. I've converted with ProcessIcon under OS 3.9 and then copied the ColorIcon to OS 3.1.

ProcessIcon.doc:
Quote:
All the CI options need OS3.5 running.

! Using this tool with OS3.5 icons without running OS3.5 destroys the color
! image information of the icons. Also OS3.5 icons cannot be detected without
! running OS 3.5.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MWB2CI_WB3.1.png
Views:	30
Size:	2.4 KB
ID:	79307  

Last edited by PeterK; 08 June 2023 at 17:49.
Old 08 June 2023, 18:03   #4212
EctoOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
It works for me. I've converted with ProcessIcon under OS 3.9 and then copied the ColorIcon to OS 3.1.

ProcessIcon.doc:
I will give it another try with 3.9. But that might take some time because I currently don't have a running 3.9 installation. And like I said, I don't really care but I appreciate the support.
Old 08 June 2023, 18:08   #4213
PeterK

Ok, it's your decision, it was just a suggestion for another possible solution.

Btw, I just noticed that ProcessIcon leaves the planar MWB images unchanged in the ColorIcon, so my IconMixer is not required at all to bring it back.
Old 08 June 2023, 20:50   #4214
EctoOne

That actually brings up another question. Although it is not really about your library but since you have the icon knowledge.
Is it somehow possible and preferably easy to copy a planar icon (those are the basics ones I hope) to a different icon and then copy a glowicon on top of it?

I just went through and installed OS3.9 but I also did some cleanup/updates so that I could archive it and don't need to do the whole install process again.

And I disabled coloricons in the 3.2 workbench prefs and it's just a mess. Folders having the default tool icon and such.
I really would like to have Clover Icons and/or Laceless drawers when coloricons are off.
But it seems I need to look at your Icon Mixer for that to happen.

Edit: Look like your Icon Mixer is working just fine.

Last edited by EctoOne; 08 June 2023 at 21:16.
Old 08 June 2023, 23:20   #4215
PeterK

Thanks for trying out IconMixer!

I don't care much about planar images in ColorIcons on my system, but it was a user at A1k.org who ask me for something like this, combining images for 3.1 with images for 3.5+ in ColorIcons or OS4 icons.

I'm glad to hear that it works for CloverIcons, too. In case of merging ColorIcons and MWB icons I would recommend to use my option "Reduce8PlanesTo3", because some MWB icons still obtain the last 4 pens of the palette, which will then be moved to the pens 4-7 to save space and reduce the size of the planar images. (Unfortunately, the IconEdit of 3.9 can't assign MWB colors to the pen numbers correctly)
Old 08 June 2023, 23:49   #4216
EctoOne

Oh trust me, I'm doing this just once to get a nice look with either color icons on or off. Although I actually can't remember if 3.9 even has a setting for that. Haven't used it in ages and it's currently not in a bootable state since I'm trying something different.
Once I'm done with that I'll probably go full MWB icons again, if I even bother to get further into 3.9.
I just can't stand that glowicons barely have the same size, which makes cleaning up a drawer so annoying.

Oh, I added SIT TOOL to the ProcessIcon line in your script. It makes copying drawer/trashcan/drive icons so much easier.
Old 09 June 2023, 10:04   #4217
EctoOne

I just took another look at your Icon Mixer scripts and since the command is the same for both ways, I could have just adjusted my IconSaver script instead of doing it one by one.

Save the current (glow) icons, replace the originals with planar icons, run the backup with ProcessIcon as command and be done.
I don't think I will be adding this officially because, if I remember correctly, the original 3.9 icons are actually NewIcons which would require to convert them first. But that can probably be done with an auto generated script as well.
Hmm, it actually might be simple to turn the current CLICon script that's responsible for the backup process into a separate script which does the converting first and then use RequestFile to select a backup archive instead of tieing it to a specific archive. Well, I guess I know what I'm doing this weekend.
Old 09 June 2023, 14:27   #4218
PeterK

Quote:
Originally Posted by EctoOne View Post
... Oh, I added SIT TOOL to the ProcessIcon line in your script. It makes copying drawer/trashcan/drive icons so much easier.
Indeed, processing disk, drawer or trashcan icons can sometimes be a bit odd and annoying on Amiga OS. Disk.info gets invisible in other directories and drawer icons often need an existing drawer to copy them on the Workbench or you may get a trailing slash from WB tools menu or other tools. I don't care about trashcan icons, since I never install a trashcan on my systems.

But it could also cause confusion when you change the type for these icons to Tool. For example, you will lose the DrawerData information like the window position, size, icon viewmodes etc. No problem, of course, if you just want to replace the images of the original source with CopyIcon at the end, but the "mixed icons" won't keep these Drawer settings as tools.
Quote:
I just took another look at your Icon Mixer scripts and since the command is the same for both ways, I could have just adjusted my IconSaver script instead of doing it one by one.
The difference of the two IconMixer scripts is that one preserves the tooltypes of the planar icon (old or MWB) and the other script keeps the settings of the ColorIcons in the MixedIcons.
Quote:
original 3.9 icons are actually NewIcons
No, not exactly, look into these icon structure descriptions:
http://www.evillabs.net/wiki/index.p...a_Icon_Formats (NewIcon and OS 3.5 extension)
Old 09 June 2023, 15:44   #4219
AMIGASYSTEM

Ciao Pietro, to your knowledge, on Amiga there is an application that allows the "Autosorting" of icons, that is, the automatic resorting of icons.

On AROS you can set "Autosorting" from Wanderer Preferences, this option puts in order "all icons" to both the "parent" window, and the "child" windows

For OS3 on Aminet I found "IconAlign", but I didn't quite understand if it can do the same thing.

http://aminet.net/package/util/cli/IconAlign
Old 09 June 2023, 16:16   #4220
EctoOne

Quote:
But it could also cause confusion when you change the type for these icons to Tool. For example, you will lose the DrawerData information like the window position, size, icon viewmodes etc.
Good to know. But if I manage to adapt my script, it won't matter. Because then I do not need to change the type. And yes, I was using CopyIcon to replace the old icons with the mixed ones, so I assume it doesn't matter either because the original data is kept.

Quote:
The difference of the two IconMixer scripts is that one preserves the tooltypes of the planar icon (old or MWB) and the other script keeps the settings of the ColorIcons in the MixedIcons.
But this is done because of which version gets copied to the other right? There's no specific command for each case. At least I can't remember seeing one.
Quote:
No, not exactly, look into these icon structure descriptions:
http://www.evillabs.net/wiki/index.p...a_Icon_Formats (NewIcon and OS 3.5 extension)
Hmm, I'm a total noob when it comes to the technical side of things.
When I replaced some icons, I noticed the NewIcons tooltypes in some icons, although I'm not sure if it was the source or original destination.
Anyway, what also confused me was that the icons lost their borders when I replaced them using CopyIcon. So, I guess the format has changed somehow. And to be honest, I'm not sure how or to what. Or if this could have been avoided or somehow reversed. And I'm also not quite happy that they did that, because now the border size option from Workbench Prefs doesn't work and I probably have to use one of your IconBorder commands if I want the borders back. Haven't tried it yet though. And that would be a reason for me not to release a script to batch mix icons, because I can't describe what's happening.