English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 30 January 2012, 21:02   #401
phipscube
WipEout Fanboi

I'm still keeping the faith even though I often completely forget I ordered my Pandora. Maybe one day i'll get a nice surprise from the postie. I bought a Dingoo midway through 2009 to tide me over, that little thing is awesome!
Old 30 January 2012, 23:00   #402
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by phipscube View Post
I'm still keeping the faith even though I often completely forget I ordered my Pandora. Maybe one day i'll get a nice surprise from the postie. I bought a Dingoo midway through 2009 to tide me over, that little thing is awesome!
LMFAO, this post is timeless.
I vote for this to be post of the month, .
Old 30 January 2012, 23:21   #403
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Yes, sorry, jejeje...
I've got a Dingoo too. I've installed all inside (linux too) in a 16gb card but got bored the second day. If any wants to buy it...
Old 15 February 2012, 19:32   #404
john4p
Competition Moderator

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 16 February 2012, 09:40   #405
darkwave

Ooh, that looks nice! I've been using my Pandora a hell of a lot lately, after a fairly long period of no use. I'm not sure why. I've had a bit more travelling to do so I guess I just updated the OS and some emulators for that and I just got back into playing games on it.
Old 18 February 2012, 23:57   #406
pubzombie

anybody know what Atari ST emu is like on the panny?
I play a lot of my old Amiga games on ST on my GP2x, it runs a little better.
Old 19 February 2012, 00:19   #407
_ThEcRoW
Amiga NetRunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pubzombie View Post
Still not received mine after almost three years!! I'm gonna see if they still offer the premium upgrade order or if not a refund, seeing what the Vita can do I am tempted to go down that road only. Still would love a panny though!
You payed in advance and have been waiting 3 years???
Hope you get it soon...
Old 19 February 2012, 00:36   #408
Mr B

He's far from alone. The official forum is filled with people who are still waiting for what now is a sadly outdated piece of hardware.

It's a shame really. I wanted a "Open Pandora 2.0" that was pretty much identical to the software OS, but instead of a clamshell design, a tablet, with a OSD keyboard. By now it's clear that's never going to happen. They still have to get units to everyone with a pre-order, and after that i guess production will be terminated, and a new model brought in to view. They cant announce that now, everyone would pull their orders, or expect the new model instead of the old one for their pre-order. But the fact is the hardware is simply getting to hard to get hold of, so they cant keep producing the current model for very long...

Sony Vita... We can play PSP homebrew on it, they have a userspace hack that seams to have survived the latest update, but we don't really know anything until Sony starts moving it in Europe. With a bit of luck i can simply swap my PSP for a Vita, and have "status quo" and in time there will be a hack for the Vita it self. I want a OSD keyboard, and a good Amiga emulation, so i can use it on the go. It's never going to replace my real Amiga, but i'm regularly suffering from Amiga withdrawals.
B!
Old 19 February 2012, 03:52   #409
pubzombie

@Mr B,
Yes a worrying thought that has crossed my mind before. As I have tried to contact by fone and email and got no joy I have asked as much on the forums. I have yet to speak to anybody who has had a refund.
Old 19 February 2012, 07:31   #410
Mr B

There are people who claim having gone through with a refund, and got their cash back, most, claim they did the refund thing like a year after launch... Actually, i don't know if i think it would be that hard to get a hold on EvilDragon, And get details on a updated refund process, but what i would be more worried about, is finding out they are running out of cash... So far it seams people have been willing to join in on the venture, and put more money on the table, but once the cash starts draining out and people no-longer want the unit, then the guys cashing up right now will probably start getting more careful, and might pull out.
B!
Old 19 February 2012, 10:22   #411
Dunny

I think that a great deal of the problem with things like refunds was to do with how Craig Rothwell handled things at his end - he's not a very easy person to talk to or get hold of, and gets quite abusive towards people whose patience (quite rightly) is getting thin. Now that EvilDragon is handling the Pandora, it might be quite a bit easier to get refunds. New pre-orders are very cheap, with the huge majority of the cost of the machine paid when yours is ready.

What remains to be seen is whether or not the unique abilities of the machine (and it's very narrow niche audience) is enough to keep units in production. There's an interesting thread about how the hardware is getting quite dated and I have to agree with them - as far as ultra-portable linux desktops go, there's nothing out there to compare. Netbooks will do the same job, but are nowhere near as small and don't have the gaming edge that the Pandora has, but for people that want gaming on the go there are better options now, and I'm not sure the "pocketable linux PC" angle is enough.

Time will tell, I suppose.

D.
Old 19 February 2012, 20:40   #412
stainy
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to stainy Send a message via MSN to stainy
I got a refund
Old 19 February 2012, 20:57   #413
pubzombie

@Stainy,
When mate, recently?
Old 22 February 2012, 16:59   #414
john4p
Competition Moderator

[ Show youtube player ] (at 7 min.)
Old 22 February 2012, 18:41   #415
darkwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4p View Post
[ Show youtube player ] (at 7 min.)
Now that should keep me busy this weekend!
Old 22 February 2012, 20:17   #416
stainy
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to stainy Send a message via MSN to stainy
Quote:
Originally Posted by pubzombie View Post
@Stainy,
When mate, recently?
Few months ago, before I bought a 2nd hand one..

Then I sold that when I was convinced that the 2nd batch ( built in Germany ) was going to happen.

Currently.. pre-ordered.... again..
Old 22 February 2012, 21:42   #417
pubzombie

Ha mate that's cool I wish I gad spotted a 2nd hand one months ago.
Old 02 April 2012, 01:31   #418
copse

I ordered one when I lived in the US, but then it dragged on and on, and I was wondering if I was going to leave the US before it arrived at my postal address there. So when the whatever it was that happened years back to do with their bank caused them to refund me, I didn't bother reordering Too much bother.
Old 02 April 2012, 13:43   #419
lesta_smsc

This looked cool on youtube prior to initial release - but I haven't heard much else about it!
Old 02 April 2012, 17:05   #420
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
This looked cool on youtube prior to initial release - but I haven't heard much else about it!
At the risk of playing that tired old song yet again....

It's a wonderful device. Aside from the emulation (which thanks to THB and Hideki's efforts is wonderful for Amiga gaming and Workbench work) it's also a great little PC for tinkering.

I've ported my SpecBAS BASIC interpreter to it, and it's great fun. SpecBAS is based on Sinclair BASIC with the best bits of AMOS incorporated and being able to pratt around in BASIC on a lunch break is sublime, it really is. This little device never leaves my pocket, and with massive battery life it's always ready when I need it.

Well worth the money, imo.

D.