English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. System

Old 12 May 2023, 22:44   #4121
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
When you select an icon file it will be replaced with a (Dual)PngIcon. Your backups are stored in T:OldStyle, but only until you reboot. Maybe it could be possible to combine this script with some sort of Drag'nDrop-box tool in the future. I have to check out on Aminet whether there exists something like this already.
@PeterK
Thanks, great tool, very useful to capture the images of old icons and maybe improve them

@mfilos
You should have it on AFA OS, you can also find it here:
https://sourceforge.net/p/amega1/cod...upport.library

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 12 May 2023 at 22:52.
Old 12 May 2023, 23:56   #4122
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
You should have it on AFA OS, you can also find it here:
https://sourceforge.net/p/amega1/cod...upport.library
Yeah found it via Googling it man. Thanks anyway
Old 13 May 2023, 02:01   #4123
James

Quote:
Ok mfilos, here comes a first version of a script using RequestFile, ImageConverter, Join and CopyIcon, which can convert OS 3.5 and OS4 icons into PNG icons. It creates 4 directories in T: on the Ram Disk. OldStyle for backup copies of the original icons, PngImages, PngIcons and NewStyle, where the PNG icons are merged with the old attributes.

When you select an icon file it will be replaced with a (Dual)PngIcon. Your backups are stored in T:OldStyle, but only until you reboot. Maybe it could be possible to combine this script with some sort of Drag'nDrop-box tool in the future. I have to check out on Aminet whether there exists something like this already.
I've been doing this with my "IconMaker" scripts for some time - found here:

https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php...ight=iconmaker

With IconMaker you need to "Get Images From Icon" and then "Join images as Icon", so I guess your script is better/quicker - not taken a look yet
Might add this option to IconMaker...
Old 13 May 2023, 03:07   #4124
PeterK

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
I've been doing this with my "IconMaker" scripts for some time - found here:

https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php...ight=iconmaker

With IconMaker you need to "Get Images From Icon" and then "Join images as Icon", so I guess your script is better/quicker - not taken a look yet
Might add this option to IconMaker...
Yes, thanks a lot James!

My script is indeed based on your "Get Images From Icon" and "Join images as Icon", and then CopyIcon by Stephan Rupprecht in order to get the old icon attributes back from the source to the raw DualPNG icon. Sorry, I've just forgotten to mention that YOU are the master! I'M just copying your solution to let it work for mfilos.

My initial suggestion for mfilos per PM was to check out your EAB thread and try your scripts to convert OS4 icons into the PNG format. But the syntax of ImageConverter is not so easy to understand for every user. So I tried to work it out in an example now.

@mfilos
I could not reproduce your quality loss with the jagged edges here. On my system the NewStyle icons (PNG) are looking exactly as the OldStyle icons (OS4). Do you have "ConvertTrueColor" activated accidentally or the 68020 version installed?

But maybe it gets more obvious with your special "Smb-myPC" icon as a test object? Could you upload that icon, please?

Last edited by PeterK; 14 May 2023 at 13:48.
Old 13 May 2023, 07:41   #4125
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Quote:
@mfilos
I could not reproduce your quality loss with the jagged edges here. On my system the NewStyle icons (PNG) are locking exactly as the OldStyle icons (OS4). Do you have "ConvertTrueColor" activated accidentally or the 68020 version installed?

But maybe it gets more obvious with your special "Smb-myPC" icon as a test object? Could you upload that icon, please?
I might have tried ConvertTrueColor in the past but I'm not using it tbh.
Here's the icon to test it out: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ckgstn1tfy...MyPC.info?dl=0
Old 13 May 2023, 14:36   #4126
PeterK

Ok, now I could reproduce this effect with the jagged edges, but didn't find a solution to fix it yet.

It seems that ImageConverter modifies the alpha channel data when it saves the PNG images by switching everything below a certain threshold (alpha < 59 or 60) to zero (full transparency). Therefore, some images with a very soft fading at the borders will suddenly get jagged edges from this switching to 100 % background.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.png
Views:	36
Size:	4.8 KB
ID:	78976   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.png
Views:	34
Size:	4.5 KB
ID:	78977   Click image for larger version

Name:	003.png
Views:	37
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	78978   Click image for larger version

Name:	004.png
Views:	37
Size:	6.6 KB
ID:	78979  

Last edited by PeterK; 14 May 2023 at 23:51.
Old 13 May 2023, 18:05   #4127
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Not such an important issue to fix but I'm sure you'll figure something out for the OCD peepz like me lol

Cheers as always Peter
Old 23 May 2023, 20:35   #4128
pixie

Sorry for being so late to the party! One thing is I have 3.1 installed, is it possible to have transparent icons?

Last edited by pixie; 23 May 2023 at 20:47.
Old 23 May 2023, 23:17   #4129
PeterK

Hello pixie,

yes you can get transparency for the background on WB 3.1 by using the NewIcons patch and NiRTGset as already installed and configured on my IconDemoA1200.adf floppy image, which is available on the 1. page of this thread for download. It only has the disadvantage that color 0 is always transparent, which might let the background shine through in MWB or old icons. Have a look into the startup-sequence of that ADF and the files installed. See screenshot for IconDemoA1200 on the first page.

This needs a 68020+ CPU, of course.
Old 24 May 2023, 00:47   #4130
pixie

Thanks! I should have messed something up since while they are without borders they are gray, which look great on a Vanilla setup but doesn't work very well with backgrounds. I am using Picasso 96 on WinUAE, but will look tomorrow to see if I messed it up!
PS - fblit workbench feels just like RTG! :O
Old 24 May 2023, 11:42   #4131
PeterK

My IconDemoA1200 setup is for non-RTG systems, without a gfxcard.

Now you mention that you are using P96 on WinUAE. That could require a different configuration. P96 RTG on WB 3.1 is also possible.

Please, never install both together: P96 (native or RTG) and FBlit at the same time. That causes conflicts. I would install P96 for RTG (like uaegfx) only, but on native screens FBlit is a bit faster than P96 Native. FBlit needs the fblit.library installed and the correct version of ENVARC:FBlit.cfg for WB 3.1.

My icon.library uses FastMem for icons automatically when FBlit is installed and detected. If you have P96 (RTG or Native) instead of FBlit then you will need my option IconsToFastMem in your startup-sequence somewhere after IPrefs.

The NewIcons patch is required for transparency together with Sys:Prefs/NiPrefs, Sys:Prefs/Env-Archive/NewIcons.prefs. NiRTGset only for FBlit on non-RTG systems.

But there is one Hyperion Kickstart Rom for 3.1 which is buggy and will never allow borderless or transparent icons (I think it has a workbench.library v40.6).

The old DefIcons program for the WBStartup can also be used together with Sys:Prefs/Env-Archive/DefIcons.prefs, but there is no preferences editor for 3.1 available.

Please have a look into my IconLib.guide for more options.
Old 24 May 2023, 17:35   #4132
pixie

It's working beautifully! One thing though, I've downloaded
AbandonMI2 They're such a massive icons, even 1Gb is not enough! :O
Old 24 May 2023, 17:54   #4133
PeterK

Yeah, I know these huge (256x256) excellent Mason icons for OS4 . I've only a few of them, the basic icons, installed for test purposes here.
Old 24 May 2023, 18:14   #4134
pixie

I've never ever seen such huge icons!

Last edited by pixie; 24 May 2023 at 19:23.
Old 25 May 2023, 20:36   #4135
PeterK

Update to icon.library to build #576 for the TrueColor versions on the 1. page:

Removed an undesired alpha threshold when icons were loaded with ImageConverter to avoid a wrong masking at the image borders. That alpha threshold is only required for the Custom Dragging Routines of DOpus5. An indirect and hidden access to the ARGB image data by ImageConverter was not expected by me. The excellent ImageConverter was written by Thilo Koehler, also one of the authors of AmiBlitz3 Basic.

Last edited by PeterK; 01 June 2023 at 19:45.
Old 25 May 2023, 23:14   #4136
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie View Post
I've never ever seen such huge icons!

I created them first

http://eab.abime.net/attachment.php?...1&d=1628369697
Old 26 May 2023, 00:40   #4137
pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
Those are pretty massive indeed! xD
Is there any util that allow us to downscale the png icons? I would like to pick those png icons used on Amiga OS 4 and downsize them to AmigaOS 3.2 size but with true colour alpha et all
Old 26 May 2023, 00:55   #4138
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie View Post
Those are pretty massive indeed! xD
Is there any util that allow us to downscale the png icons? I would like to pick those png icons used on Amiga OS 4 and downsize them to AmigaOS 3.2 size but with true colour alpha et all

You can do this with IconEditor, of course if you want to keep OS4 Icons you have to use OS4 native "IconEditor", if you want to reduce DualPNG Icons instead you can use AROS native or OS3 native "IconEditor"
Old 26 May 2023, 08:41   #4139
pixie

I would like to convert png icons, if needed be I would convert OS4 into png. The thing is I cannot get either OS3 native nor AROS. I did find a video of yours on youtube, but it only showed the app being used, not where to download it.
Old 26 May 2023, 08:44   #4140
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

@PeterK
You did it my friend! No more jagged lines on conversion from OS4 to PNG! YOU DA BOMB!
Ok time for questions now...
The script modifies the original/source icon (for example my SMB icon was 13,844kb and became after convertion 16,516kb. Is that due to the ConvertPNGToOS4 (running in my S-S) that my icons have (due to snapshoting etc)? Opening the icon with HexEditor shows for sure that is not PNG.
That's why I always copy the icons I want to convert to RAM: before running your script (not to alter my original icon).
Is there a way we can modify the script in order to get these PNG images to T: pngimages/ without altering the original icon? That will save me one copy to RAM for safety :P
As a feature request... ...I would LOVE to be able to make a ToolsMenu entry that would run "ConvertToPNG []" (grabbing the icon path/filename from the selected icon) passing it to the script so I didn't have to run it and select via the requester.

@pixie
Why don't you just use your PC to downscale icons then upload them back and join them?
This is what I do to create custom OS4 icons for the apps that don't have drawer and app icons.

Last edited by mfilos; 26 May 2023 at 09:35.