English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. System

Old 01 April 2023, 23:01   #4041
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
On a Hi/TrueColor system the icons should not need any color mapping, nor pens. Even ColorIcons are directly drawn in their exact RGB colors on the gfx-card. (Do you have "ConvertTrueColor" enabled ?)
No I don't. Should I? (would I loose color information on the icons when saved?)
Also since I use mostly an OS4.1 iconset (MasonIcons) I guess I should also use ConvertPNGtoOS4 right?

Last edited by mfilos; 01 April 2023 at 23:16.
Old 01 April 2023, 23:20   #4042
PeterK

Yes, with ConvertTrueColor you would lose the ARGB image data and get palette based images with up to 255 colors only. Loading of ColorIcons might be faster, but that's not recommended on WinUAE, where this speed improvement is not noticeable.

So, what's going wrong on your TrueColor system with OS4 or PNG icons that you don't have more free pens?? Did you try a WB-Reset from the tools-menu before looking into Scout's window list?

I have 95 free pens here without my two commands installed in WBStartup, 205 free pens with them, and 235 after a WB-Reset.

Or do you load any wallpaper pictures into ChipMem or at least with color mapping instead of direct drawing? Check your datatype settings! Or try disabling wallpapers temporarily.

Last edited by PeterK; 01 April 2023 at 23:27.
Old 01 April 2023, 23:35   #4043
PeterK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfilos View Post
I guess I should also use ConvertPNGtoOS4 right?
That depends on all system components, i.e harddisk io-speed vs CPU speed.

On a WinUAE system with SSD OS4 icons are much faster, because they don't have these additional PNG filters, which are used to reduce the file size. But if the HDD is very slow (like on most Amigas) then the PNG icons with a smaller size can be loaded faster than the larger OS4 icons, and the additional time for the filtering does not matter with a fast CPU.
Old 01 April 2023, 23:43   #4044
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

I use a Vampire Standalone with a 32GB CF@10Mb/s+ speed so all good.
I tried ConvertPNGtoOS4 and indeed the icon load and scrolling big iconset window is a lot more smoother! I'll leave it running for now

So concerning the free pens...
On a reboot I have 29 free pens.
If I WB-Reset I also get 235 free pens like you! Dafuq!

I have disabled my wallpaper and I have same free pens (with or without WB-Reset)!
My picture datatypes are registered WarpDT ones with default options on (but I guess it doesn't matter since wallpaper was off on the test)
Maybe AfA OS (diskfont, graphics lib) or Birdie are giving any weird issues?

Last edited by mfilos; 01 April 2023 at 23:50.
Old 01 April 2023, 23:57   #4045
PeterK

When you just directly double-click ColorIconsOff and then open a drawer, you should see many 4-color icons (don't save anything). Closing the drawer, clicking ColorIconsOn and opening the drawer again should bring back colors. Is that working?

Is there anything else in the user-startup that loads icons?

WB-Reset usually remaps all icons on the WB-screen, but on a TrueColor screen my icon.library won't do any color mapping for the Workbench task. So, WB-Reset just releases the pens and then won't allocate them again.

At boot time the icons in WBStartup on the other side are not executed by the Workbench task, but loaded by their tools. And for all these unknown tools I have to do the color mapping, even on a TrueColor screen. I can't predict what unknown tools are doing with their icons.

ConvertPNGtoOS4 has only an effect after saving the converted icons.

Last edited by PeterK; 02 April 2023 at 00:03.
Old 02 April 2023, 00:02   #4046
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Yes that is exactly what I get when used the Off then On application, so I guess all good.
I disabled WBDock for a bit and on reboot I have 43 free pens now (instead of 29).

My WBStartup folder is running the following:

And my User-Startup doesn't have anything to do with icons...

Last edited by mfilos; 02 April 2023 at 00:09.
Old 02 April 2023, 00:07   #4047
PeterK

But icon_lib.exe is not installed on AfA_OS as I hope?

Birdie could sometimes do unexpected things, maybe ??

It's no good idea to publish the IP address in a screenshot ...

Last edited by PeterK; 02 April 2023 at 18:32.
Old 02 April 2023, 00:13   #4048
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Quote:
But icon_lib.exe is not installed on AfA_OS as I hope?

Birdie could sometimes do unexpected things, maybe ??
Yes icon_lib.exe can't be installed in OS3.2.2 (nor I would anyway).
Nope it's not Birdie either (disabled it and had same 29 free pens).
No worries mate, I'll troubleshoot tomorrow and see how it will go (will keep ya posted just for funz)
Old 02 April 2023, 00:16   #4049
PeterK

Remove your IP from screenshots ...

At the moment I can't see what the reason for the low number of free pens is ??

Good night mfilos!
Old 02 April 2023, 01:08   #4050
thomas

Quote:
Remove your IP from screenshots ...
The IP range starting with 10 is for private networks. Just like 192.168. It does not help you to attack me if you know that my NAS has an IP address of 192.168.2.115. The same is true for 10-dot-something.
Old 02 April 2023, 10:10   #4051
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Yep, as thomas said, 10.x.x.x, 172.16-31.x.x, 192.168.x.x are private IP ranges and perfectly safe to use on your own private networks. Exposing your public IP is something different ofc.

Back to free pens now, and after a lot of experimenting and restarts... these are my findings:
  • Removing everything from S-S, U-S, WB-S: 77 free pens
  • Same but just adding Birdie: 79 (dafuq it gives 2 more pens)
  • My default beefed S-S, U-S but NO WB-S: 79 free pens
  • Same but with ColorIconsOff/On in WB-S: 79 free pens

WBStartup items with 0 pens conservation:
  • AssignWedge
  • AsyncWB
  • AutoUpdateWB
  • DefIcons
  • MagicMenu
  • RAWBInfo
  • ReqAttack
  • SetDST
  • ToolsDaemon

WBStartup items with many pens conservation:
  • ClickToFront: 17 pens
  • KeymapSwapper: 29 pens
  • Ranchero: 30 pens
  • ScreenTime: 21 pens
  • WBDock: 48 pens

So... my best free pens atm are by simple removing ClickToFront, KeymapSwapper, Ranchero, ScreenTime and WBDock gives me 79 free pens (same as if I have everything disabled from my S-S, U-S, WB-S.
Using your own ColorIconsOff/On doesn't do anything good or bad concerning pens for me.

Last edited by mfilos; 02 April 2023 at 10:34.
Old 02 April 2023, 12:47   #4052
PeterK

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
The IP range starting with 10 is for private networks. Just like 192.168. It does not help you to attack me if you know that my NAS has an IP address of 192.168.2.115. The same is true for 10-dot-something.
Sigh!

Yes, you are right, Thomas.
I must have been too tired last night when I saw that IP:x.x.x.x and didn't check the number, or just a bit blind to realize it. I should have known that the range starting with 10. is reserved for private networks, because just recently I played with a Qemu system on a virtual PC, which also uses 10.0.2.x for my Android emulator. That guest system was totally invisible for my Windows host, but finally I could manage to connect the FTP client Filezilla to an Android FTP demon with a port redirection and by using active mode to promote the 10.0.2.2 (alias for host loopback) for the data connection.
Old 02 April 2023, 13:01   #4053
PeterK

Quote:
Back to free pens now, and after a lot of experimenting and restarts... these are my findings:
  • Removing everything from S-S, U-S, WB-S: 77 free pens
  • Same but just adding Birdie: 79 (dafuq it gives 2 more pens)
  • My default beefed S-S, U-S but NO WB-S: 79 free pens
  • Same but with ColorIconsOff/On in WB-S: 79 free pens

WBStartup items with 0 pens conservation:
  • AssignWedge
  • AsyncWB
  • AutoUpdateWB
  • DefIcons
  • MagicMenu
  • RAWBInfo
  • ReqAttack
  • SetDST
  • ToolsDaemon

WBStartup items with many pens conservation:
  • ClickToFront: 17 pens
  • KeymapSwapper: 29 pens
  • Ranchero: 30 pens
  • ScreenTime: 21 pens
  • WBDock: 48 pens

So... my best free pens atm are by simple removing ClickToFront, KeymapSwapper, Ranchero, ScreenTime and WBDock gives me 79 free pens (same as if I have everything disabled from my S-S, U-S, WB-S.
Using your own ColorIconsOff/On doesn't do anything good or bad concerning pens for me.
mfilos, I also did a very short test with AfA_OS on my 3.9+3.1.4 system (not with 3.2). With icon_lib.exe enabled everything was just working correctly, 206 free pens. But without icon_lib.exe the problems started, probably caused by some misused RemLib icon.library commands (don't blame Thomas for the abnormal usage under AfA_OS). I still have to investigate some more, but I have no intentions to combine AfA_OS with OS 3.2 by adding new workarounds for strange issues. Make a decision what you really want, AfA or OS 3.2, but no monster with two heads ...
Old 02 April 2023, 13:40   #4054
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

I only use 3 libraries from AfAOS on OS3.2.2 and that's ONLY for being able to use Antialiased fonts. Sadly there's no other workaround that I tried that can make me use successfully these fonts.
Will try out later without AfAOS and see how it goes...
Old 02 April 2023, 14:34   #4055
PeterK

There are two things that you could check ...

If you have a "RemLib >NIL: icon.library" somewhere, comment it out. When icon_lib.exe was disabled, not even Prefs/Workbench "NoColorIcons" was working anymore.

And you can try ColorIconsOff without the "DONOTWAIT" tooltype. In some cases this could fix the problem. But if it hangs for unknown reason you may see a requester poping up. Usually the "TOOLPRI=10" should be enough to execute it completely before other tools are started, but under AfA ??
Old 02 April 2023, 15:34   #4056
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Disabling AfAOS doesn't give any pens back as well though mate.
Just disabled again morelibspace and afa_os_loader and same pens are shown as with running AfAOS in the first place (I haven't changed the fonts from antialiased ttf ones to simple bitmap ones though, but I really doubt that could be an issue).

icon_lib.exe can't be loaded under OS3.2.x (you get a black screen).
After a lot of trial and error the only libraries from AfAOS that can be used are:
- afa_system_lib.exe
- diskfont_lib.exe
- graphics_lib.exe
These are the bare minimum required in order to use antialiased fonts under OS3.2.x

The other libraries from AfAOS package work (except icon_lib.exe ofc) but create other problems under OS3.2.x
For example, I found that using picture_datatype.exe library cause my trusted Grab program (by thomas), not being able to grab the picture via shortcut, so removing the lib, made my grab program work again just fine.
Also, intuition_library.exe gives failed errors in SnoopDOS every second for not finding icon_library.exe loaded so not having a flood of error I disabled it as well.

Last but not least,I never used RemLib as I always use your icon.library (either in custom ROM in the past, or replacing the icon.library in current OS3.2.x versions).

Quote:
...you can try ColorIconsOff without the "DONOTWAIT" tooltype. In some cases this could fix the problem. But if it hangs for unknown reason you may see a requester poping up. Usually the "TOOLPRI=10" should be enough to execute it completely before other tools are started, but under AfA ??
Both ColorIconsOff and ColorIconsOn don't have any tooltype anyway (edit: they do but Rawbinfo has them embedded in the GUI. Checked the icon info with DOPUS4 and saw everything there.
Disabled the DONOTWAIT in the Off icon but still same thing

Last edited by mfilos; 02 April 2023 at 15:55.
Old 02 April 2023, 19:06   #4057
thomas

Quote:
[*]WBDock: 48 pens
WBDock does not allocate any pens on its own. Try to use different patterns for the background and the drag bar. The number of pens depends on the images and datatypes used. If you use no pattern, WBDock will become transparent and allocate no pens at all.
Old 02 April 2023, 19:08   #4058
PeterK

After playing a bit with other tools in WBStartup like WBDock and AmiDock and also checking your results again, I now come to the conclusion that ColorIconsOff & On are working correctly, even on your AfA_OS system with OS 3.2.2.

When I add WBDock to the WBStartup then only 80 free pens are left. Using AmiDock instead reduces this number to 53 free pens, although in my example AmiDock just displays 3 icons in TrueColor in its window. Adding some more tools to my WBStartup could easily eat up most of the remaining pens as on your system.

@thomas
Of course, it also depends on the configuration of these tools whether you would need a few, many or no pens at all.

The pen allocation with ObtainBestPenA() is a dynamical process and it depends on the requested precision and the number of free pens whether you have to share an already existing color or can define a new exact color in the screen palette. The first tools in the line will get pens easier than everything coming next or later.

Ok, it seems that my experiment can not always meet my expectations ... but it works at least for me.
Old 02 April 2023, 19:45   #4059
AMIGASYSTEM

Peter, AfA OS with OS 3.2/3.2.2 no longer works and is no longer supported (the OS no longer boots with AfA OS installed), AfA OS worked fine until OS 3.1.4.
Old 02 April 2023, 23:31   #4060
PeterK

Hi Carlo,

as you know I'm not the biggest fan of AfA_OS, and truly not not even more of AfA over 3.2 or 3.2 over AfA, but I don't want to start some flame wars here, because if it works for mfilos, just accept it as his magic spell over AmigaOS. Nothing is forbidden as long as it works as intended, Amiga makes it possible.