English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General > Coders. Releases

Old 01 February 2024, 01:02   #4001
abu_the_monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlos View Post
Just going back to the idea of doubling the sky background width, I think backdrop overrides per level might be useful too. One of the thoughts I had is that, since there are teleporters in the game, various surface sites you go to don't have to be in the same location, or at the same time of day, etc. This allows for greater artistic freedom.
backdrop overrides sound like great additions to me.
Old 01 February 2024, 01:33   #4002
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Quote:
Originally Posted by abu_the_monkey View Post
backdrop overrides sound like great additions to me.
It shouldn't be any more difficult to do than any of the others. No time just now but it's on the list.
Old 01 February 2024, 01:36   #4003
abu_the_monkey

indeed, there is never enough time

just noticed we passes 4000 posts . that went quick
Old 01 February 2024, 02:10   #4004
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Quote:
indeed, there is never enough time

just noticed we passes 4000 posts . that went quick
Gasbags.

Back on topic, sort of, I am keen to understand how difficult it is to expand the bitmapped aliens to 8 view directions. The game linker tool already has some options there but obviously this was was not added as a feature to the game itself. I don't know if the data structures are defined though. It would be cool to have support but that does then create the problem that there's no assets.
Old 01 February 2024, 12:21   #4005
Karlos
Alien Bleed

I've fixed the hard 250 limit on the jetpack, the carry limit is now respected. To test this, I added a devmode counter that reports the fuel count. It reveals several things:

1) You only get 250 fuel from the charger so have to activate this more than once. That'll probably be defined in the game link file somewhere, but maybe this is OK, you can use the charger twice in succession after a short delay. That might even prove to be a useful mechanic.
2) As soon as you have the jetpack, every jump is powered and fuel is consumed. This doesn't seem ideal. Maybe it should be possible to drop the jetpack. You could use the excuse that the weight of it prevents you from jumping, so it could theoretically be dropped and recovered, in order to preserve fuel.
3) The rate of fuel consumption is constant and unconnected to the fps rate of the game. 500 fuel gave me 10 seconds of continuous flight at both 50fps and 8fps.

This actually surprised me as it's just decrementing by a constant amount. I think the game logic is obviously synced to the vertical interrupt, regardless of the buffer flipping.

I haven't yet added a HUD fuel level indicator.
Old 01 February 2024, 20:16   #4006
abu_the_monkey

Quote:
I've fixed the hard 250 limit on the jetpack, the carry limit is now respected. To test this, I added a devmode counter that reports the fuel count. It reveals several things:

1) You only get 250 fuel from the charger so have to activate this more than once. That'll probably be defined in the game link file somewhere, but maybe this is OK, you can use the charger twice in succession after a short delay. That might even prove to be a useful mechanic.
2) As soon as you have the jetpack, every jump is powered and fuel is consumed. This doesn't seem ideal. Maybe it should be possible to drop the jetpack. You could use the excuse that the weight of it prevents you from jumping, so it could theoretically be dropped and recovered, in order to preserve fuel.
3) The rate of fuel consumption is constant and unconnected to the fps rate of the game. 500 fuel gave me 10 seconds of continuous flight at both 50fps and 8fps.

This actually surprised me as it's just decrementing by a constant amount. I think the game logic is obviously synced to the vertical interrupt, regardless of the buffer flipping.

I haven't yet added a HUD fuel level indicator.
excellent!
Old 01 February 2024, 21:32   #4007
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Given that the legacy HUD is a bit of a pain in the backside, especially at lower sizes, is it time to move to a completely on screen one?

The only advantage it had on AGA was that it was all planar to begin with, but we have to convert it and the digits etc. to chunky. It's not a big deal but an overlay might be nicer and we could use the whole vertical height for the render buffer.
Old 01 February 2024, 21:34   #4008
Karlos
Alien Bleed

The thought that prompted this was the idea that I'd be putting an on display fuel gauge for the jetpack as there's nowhere in the border for it to go anyway.

I'm not sure the selected weapon indicator is especially useful, either. We could dispense with the whole border stuff
Old 02 February 2024, 00:04   #4009
abu_the_monkey

Quote:
Given that the legacy HUD is a bit of a pain in the backside, especially at lower sizes, is it time to move to a completely on screen one?

The only advantage it had on AGA was that it was all planar to begin with, but we have to convert it and the digits etc. to chunky. It's not a big deal but an overlay might be nicer and we could use the whole vertical height for the render buffer.
Quote:
The thought that prompted this was the idea that I'd be putting an on display fuel gauge for the jetpack as there's nowhere in the border for it to go anyway.

I'm not sure the selected weapon indicator is especially useful, either. We could dispense with the whole border stuff
not against the idea, but wouldn't want it to look overly modern and as long as switching to 2x1 (or 2x2 if we ever get that sorted) doesn't make it an unreadable mess.
the selected weapon indicator also lets you know what weapon's you are carrying.
Old 02 February 2024, 00:18   #4010
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Quote:
not against the idea, but wouldn't want it to look overly modern and as long as switching to 2x1 (or 2x2 if we ever get that sorted) doesn't make it an unreadable mess.
That is an excellent point mind. For RTG this can be overcome if we are prepared to render into the actual bitmap directly for plotting the HUD as opposed to doing it in the chunky buffer. I was thinking of something like that for the existing messages. It is a bit annoying but doable as long as you don't want any fancy transparency.

For AGA mode, this approach isn't viable in a double height mode due to the way the doubling is achieved.

Quote:
the selected weapon indicator also lets you know what weapon's you are carrying.
Sure, but the weapon you are carrying also lets you know the weapon you are carrying ;

OK, I realise what you mean, single versus triple shot plasma and such, We could use a single digit to show which weapon is selected.

As for the style, I am definitely thinking to keep the existing seven segment LCD style display. Done with map style transparency and kept discretely in the corners it could look cool. Maybe it;s worth mocking up some designs.
Old 02 February 2024, 00:22   #4011
abu_the_monkey

Quote:
That is an excellent point mind. For RTG this can be overcome if we are prepared to render into the actual bitmap directly for plotting the HUD as opposed to doing it in the chunky buffer. I was thinking of something like that for the existing messages. It is a bit annoying but doable as long as you don't want any fancy transparency.

For AGA mode, this approach isn't viable in a double height mode due to the way the doubling is achieved.

Sure, but the weapon you are carrying also lets you know the weapon you are carrying ;

OK, I realise what you mean, single versus triple shot plasma and such, We could use a single digit to show which weapon is selected.

As for the style, I am definitely thinking to keep the existing seven segment LCD style display. Done with map style transparency and kept discretely in the corners it could look cool. Maybe it;s worth mocking up some designs.
sound good, mock something up and see what the people say
Old 02 February 2024, 18:49   #4012
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Mimimalist HUD. Positioned bottom right, away from any messaging.

Shows selected weapon, relevant ammo count, hit points and jetpack fuel.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hud_prototype_01.png
Views:	102
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	81536  
Old 02 February 2024, 19:23   #4013
StevenJGore
Amiga Fanatic

Ooh, very slick! Apologies if I missed this further back, but presumably this means the viewable screen area (of the 3D) is now bigger due to not having the HUD across the bottom?
Old 02 February 2024, 19:25   #4014
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenJGore View Post
Ooh, very slick! Apologies if I missed this further back, but presumably this means the viewable screen area (of the 3D) is now bigger due to not having the HUD across the bottom?
That's a mockup.

Size wise, the most increase you could hope for at 320*256 would be about 24 pixels, which would be the 8 unused pixels from the original text renderer plus 16 pixels or so for the border bottom.

The motivation for this, more than anything is to help support lower resolutions better, e.g. 240 tall, which is a much more common RTG target.

Last edited by Karlos; 02 February 2024 at 20:11.
Old 02 February 2024, 19:50   #4015
abu_the_monkey

Quote:

I like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenJGore View Post
only by 8 lines the size is set to 240 high and may not be easy to change due to a bunch of maths and science and stuff.
Old 02 February 2024, 20:12   #4016
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Quote:
...and may not be easy to change due to a bunch of maths and science and stuff.
Yeah, how much of a ball ache was the floor v wall perspective issue?
Old 02 February 2024, 20:27   #4017
abu_the_monkey

Quote:
Yeah, how much of a ball ache was the floor v wall perspective issue?
Massive !
Old 02 February 2024, 20:33   #4018
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Having said that, you may recall we are rendering 8 rows that aren't c2p'd or copied over as part of that hack, so maybe we get those back for no extra cost.
Old 02 February 2024, 20:35   #4019
abu_the_monkey

Quote:
Having said that, you may recall we are rendering 8 rows that aren't c2p'd or copied over as part of that hack, so maybe we get those back for no extra cost.
that's what I was thinking and would be a nice bonus

also letter boxing should work smoothly when shrinking the screen as the hud bitmap would not be being reloaded every update.
Old 02 February 2024, 20:59   #4020
Dunny

Quote:

That's lush that is. Get on it mate