English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 18 February 2014, 10:13   #381
dJOS

ACA500 tested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoenfeld View Post
dJOS:
You're drawing conclusions from no information (do you have all schematics and timing specs of the boards you're comparing?), and you're not seeing the information I have provided yesterday: An unbuffered CF card slot does affect timings by changed signal load on shared lines. If you are only half as educated as you're attemting to appear, this will give all the answers you're expecting.

Jens

No need to throw insults Jens!

I haven't seen all the info you refer to however what I have seen of the IDE68k design it is quite 'uncomplicated' (I do have the schematics but not the CPLD code).

Anyway my point is simply that they both use an Unbuffered design, so I'd have expected the CF compatibility to be similar.

Btw, I'm not suggesting Jacques' experience is widespread, only that it's very odd considering 2 aca500's and at more than 3 a500's are involved in the testing.
Old 18 February 2014, 10:14   #382
Jacques

Thank you for calling customer a liar, dear Jens.
Actually the 2nd person I know of is Yerzmey of PPA.pl forum, but for him the issue wasn't such important to report further than PPA.pl forum. Other person to observe the issue was RetroAmi reseller itself(!). He reproduced the issue on ACA500 I sent back and on some another ACA500's as well, GO ASK HIM, he sells your product after all (I don't blame reseller for anything at all, btw. he's supportive).

As for Toni, it's a pleasure to "work" with him, do some tests and provide him with feedback. He thinks it's possible to do software workaround, I keep fingers crossed for that.
And while I'm happy to provide feedback for him, sorry, I won't experiment with my fully functional A500's to solder some resistors to the factory sealed computer that is working properly (as my A500+ is, which I also tested). Especially, since in case of A500+ the problem wasn't happening on hardware Kick 2.0, only mapped 3.1(!). Solder resistor, yeah, right... It's not the customer who should experiment with his proper working computer. PERIOD.
I didn't mean to be offensive, but "LIE" argument was a it too much to take.
I personally don't know this way of doing business, especially when some very basic functionality fails with the product I got... Yes, ACA500 wasn't a gift.

Last edited by Jacques; 18 February 2014 at 10:30.
Old 18 February 2014, 10:18   #383
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Guys you're taking this thread in a direction that is of absolutely no interest to the bulk of people, can you keep your arguments between yourself and your resellers or Jens privately if you're not satisfied?

I visit this thread for updates on the product not to read your complaints.
Old 18 February 2014, 10:22   #384
dJOS

ACA500 tested

I don't meant to be nitpicky Steve but "aca500 tested" sounds a lot like a thread for posting the results of testing aca500's.

Just saying...

Old 18 February 2014, 10:37   #385
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Fair enough, I'll unsubscribe then.
Old 18 February 2014, 10:39   #386
Jacques

It's an open forum and the thread's name seems... Like giving test-feedback.

fitzsteve: "I visit this thread for updates on the product".

Hmm, still it's named "ACA500 tested", without tests and feedback, there would probably be much less updates No need to forbid anyone to express test-resuls in "tested" thread.

Again, it's getting messy and it could have been avoided, so let's hope it will get better from now on.
Old 18 February 2014, 10:40   #387
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

I'm not forbidding test results, but all I'm reading is an argument. As said I'm going to unsubscribe from this thread, I'm sure Jens will post updates in the ACA products thread, I don't need to be party to your squabbling.
Old 18 February 2014, 10:41   #388
dJOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
Fair enough, I'll unsubscribe then.

No need to do that mate.
Old 18 February 2014, 10:46   #389
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

This thread is indeed about Photon testing the ACA500 and of course to share experience about it, but it's not a support thread. Please use Jens' support ticket system instead. The 'discussion' about this particular issue is getting lengthy and there is obviously nothing more to be achieved here.
Old 18 February 2014, 11:18   #390
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Different A500 models have different values for the reset-pullup. Try adding a 2k2 resistor between Vcc and Reset.
Is this another case of Commodore "quality control"? We are out of resistor value x, lets use value y, it is close enough and no one notices?
Old 18 February 2014, 11:46   #391
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Toni,
Well, maybe - your tests show that the soft reset command triggers the issue, and it's worth looking into. However, without a setup where I can measure what happens, there's no way for me to find out.

At this point, I am returning to my original offer for a refund, including all shipping cost for both directions. Since I can't give a timeframe when this can be solved, I don't want to leave a dissatisfied customer behind. Ideally, I'm also buying the CF card in question from Jacques, so I have a test setup here that lets me reproduce the problem. I will then turn to the issue when time permits.

Jens
Old 18 February 2014, 12:48   #392
kipper2k

Quote:

Toni has done more tests, and it appears to be a reset issue: Different A500 models have different values for the reset-pullup. Try adding a 2k2 resistor between Vcc and Reset.

Jens
Give me a quick sketch or part # to swap out and i will experiment with this, i have quite a few A500's i can test on
Old 18 February 2014, 12:59   #393
Loedown
Precious & fragile things

Quote:
Toni has done more tests, and it appears to be a reset issue: Different A500 models have different values for the reset-pullup. Try adding a 2k2 resistor between Vcc and Reset.

Jens
Is it possible for you to add a small delay to the startup execution of your card to allow the reset line to settle, I know I have to do much the same on some of the faster PICs I use and LCD screens sometimes? Another alternative may be to cycle the reset from the expansion port before the ACA500 starts which may give a more exact reset cycle.
Old 18 February 2014, 13:02   #394
kipper2k

are we talking this area of the a500 ?...

Old 18 February 2014, 13:29   #395
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

AFAIK problem is not hardware generated reset (power up/ctrl+amiga+amiga that uses 555 timer) but CPU generated reset (RESET-instruction is executed by the CPU) that does not seem to reset the chipset fully (on some systems) when the signal comes from expansion slot.
Old 18 February 2014, 13:36   #396
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
AFAIK problem is not hardware generated reset (power up/ctrl+amiga+amiga that uses 555 timer) but CPU generated reset (RESET-instruction is executed by the CPU) that does not seem to reset the chipset fully (on some systems) when the signal comes from expansion slot.

If i lift the reset pin on the CPU (pin 18) and try putting different value resisters in line with the pin and the mobo would that possibly work ?
Old 18 February 2014, 13:46   #397
Loedown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
This may turn into a necessary mod on systems that won't reset properly, simple enough circuit but you've already got enough issues with A1200 and timing fixes.
Old 18 February 2014, 13:48   #398
Loedown

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
are we talking this area of the a500 ?...

I think he means pin 3 of Q711 to Vcc to stop the pin floating but surely there's already a pullup somewhere else?
Old 20 February 2014, 14:28   #399
Amicol

I have an ACA500 & ACA1232, trying to softkick a 1mb rom image (confirmed working in Winuae) but system is going into a reboot loop.

I added acamaprom OS3.9.rom (my file name) to the beginning of Startup-Sequence but I think it's remapping every time it sees the command.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your help...
Old 20 February 2014, 14:34   #400
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Did you stop OS3.9 from doing it's own Rom update?

Maybe post your Startup-Sequence here