English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 09 December 2011, 22:04   #21
ufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevsurv View Post
Operation Wolf was better sound/music wise and was different in gameplay too. I remember playing a lot of the games on Arcade machines first then wanted and played them on the Amy.

Still theres nostalgia for both systems!
Operation Wolf I thought was better in the arcade version. Cleaner, crisper graphics and more responsive. And of course the guns.

No matter where you went, there always seemed to be a cabinet for Operation Wolf. No matter what arcade, there seemed to be one anywhere you went.

I also remember seeing a couple labelled "Operation Wulf" - not sure why though, but it was the same game.
Old 09 December 2011, 23:07   #22
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
Terminator 2 Arcade I thaught was a good convertion. Enjoyed the game especially knowing where the hidden credits were so I could always complete it
Old 10 December 2011, 00:01   #23
SWIV

Nowdays any arcade game is usually MAME for me,back in the day i played a lot of Ghost`n Goblins,Gauntlet II,Marble Madness and R-type on Amiga and to be honest i still could load up the Amiga versions of those games today without complaint.
Old 12 December 2011, 09:59   #24
0ctopus

I thing MAME emulates only old arcade games :/

Old 27 December 2011, 14:40   #25
Vollldo

Interesting thread . I have the full set for each machines, including coin-op games for MamePlus! of course. It really depends about the game, often the arcade version is better but the amiga version is sometimes better (pang, midnight resistance, silkworm, rodland, ...) or as good as the arcade (arkanoid 1, ...)... But i like to see the diffrences too, and especially, i think that to prefer one or other version depends about the feeling and events attached to a certain game. For example, for me the arcade version of Golden Axe is the only one (even if i played it on amiga and still have it) because i played the first time in a public place with a friend. We finished it with 10 coins hahaha and had so much laugths and fun that everytime i am launching it today, the game is attached with this evening .

Last edited by Vollldo; 27 December 2011 at 14:56.

Old 27 December 2011, 16:14   #26
mombasajoe

I do not like emulating that much, so I donĀ“t use MAME very often. But: It really - like many have said before - depends on the game. E.g. "Out Run" is a no-go on Amiga (...or Cisco Heat, or Turbo Out Run, or Chase HQ or SCI) but nice on MAME.
Old 29 December 2011, 18:29   #27
Cooljerk

I have both a Mamecade and a MAS SuperNova, so I prefer either emulation of the real deal, or the real deal itself.

Old 29 December 2011, 20:46   #28
wanderer
I want an A1000

Perfection - usually the MAME version is better, with exceptions of course. Many times though, the music is better on the Amiga. I would think this is due to the audio factor not being important for arcades, cabinet limitations (muffled sound) and to the mastery and dedication of Amiga artists who took over the conversion.
Old 29 December 2011, 20:49   #29
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Toki, I prefer the Amiga version.
Old 29 December 2011, 22:12   #30
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooljerk View Post
I have both a Mamecade and a MAS SuperNova, so I prefer either emulation of the real deal, or the real deal itself.
Wow, you got a real washing machine arcade cabinet? (seriously, since the cable seems to go inside the drum on the picture)

That one where you play some detergent and shoot the stains with the controller?
Old 30 December 2011, 07:06   #31
Cooljerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilalurl View Post
Wow, you got a real washing machine arcade cabinet? (seriously, since the cable seems to go inside the drum on the picture)

That one where you play some detergent and shoot the stains with the controller?
lol, the cable in the back is actually the kickharness connector (to wire buttons 4-6 in games like street fighter) and the grey cable is running to the joystick.
Old 11 January 2012, 15:38   #32
Supamax
Da Digger :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooljerk
Hi Cooljerk,
which joystick is that? Really cool!!
I want one!!
Old 11 January 2012, 17:53   #33
deicidal
Registered Insane

Thats one heck of a rumble pack
Old 13 January 2012, 01:22   #34
dirkies
Zone Friend

no need for a CRT to have true arcade quality screen in MAME, just add scanlines to bring back CRT looks on an LCD.
And use an LCD with a pivoting screen, so you can put it in portrait mode for those games requiring it (set rotation in game properties), so you never have to worry about black borders. 19" or higher 4:3 or 16:10 monitor, not the common 16:9 widescreen LCD.
And use a competition pro joystick to play, makes it even more genuine

Amiga games mentioned here already get my vote too, but do not forget SIDEWINDER from 1988 which was identical on Amiga, because the arcade version was... powered by a modded A500 board! Same for Lemmings btw, but Sidewinder was an awesome vertical shmup with cool sfx and smooth scrolling.