English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 25 November 2009, 06:06   #21
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

the vampire boss on 3-4 of Rainbow Islands sucks.

On the ZX version of New Zealand Story the round 2-4 Octopus boss is much harder than on the Amiga. That is also bloody annoying.
Old 25 November 2009, 12:00   #22
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Jack The Ripper, one of the boss characters in Shadowman (which I completed on the Dreamcast) was an absolute PITA to kill - probably worse than the end of game boss.
Old 27 November 2009, 21:35   #23
Mungo
ATX - For Fun Not Status

Parasite of LSD.
Old 28 November 2009, 01:11   #24
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

The beetle/ladybird/bee/whatever it is boss in Rainbow Islands frustrated the hell out of me. I beat it only once, but my celebrations were cut short when I discovered the Vampire boss was even harder. That's when I gave up on that game.

I could never figure out how to beat the dragon on Moonstone, so I simply avoided it. The game's final spectre of a boss was easier to defeat then the dragon was.

I could never defeat the final boss at the end of the Chaos Engine, because the "rolling fireballs" you encounter on the level before always used to give me lots of trouble, depleting me of all my accumulated lives, so that I had barely any left when I took on the end of game meanie.

More recently, the enormous extraterrestrial cluster of meat boss that you fight in the antigravity chamber midway through Dead Space took me 30 minutes of frantic and sweaty mouse clicking to defeat. I was exhausted by the end of it.
Old 28 November 2009, 04:41   #25
Dan Locke

The guy at the end of level 7 in X-Out. How much health does he have?

I still haven't gotten past him.
Old 26 December 2009, 17:52   #26
ILikeCake

Level 3 of R-Type was always my undoing. Fusing Lord Chaos in a flux cage on Dungeon Master was also utterly impossible for me.

Old 31 December 2009, 00:17   #27
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

The "caves" boss of Painkiller world 1, level 4 I believe. Was shooting at that mother for 30 minutes before he finally fell. And then I found out you had to shoot the ceiling to making light come through and lure him under it to kill him instantly...
Old 31 December 2009, 03:41   #28
ancalimon
Supernormal

I hate bosses of Sunset Riders! They don't die and whenever I see one of the bosses I start yelling and go crazy.
Old 01 January 2010, 16:54   #29
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancalimon View Post
I hate bosses of Sunset Riders! They don't die and whenever I see one of the bosses I start yelling and go crazy.
They're not too bad once you know the "trick". Just do play the arcade version, other ports are insanely hard (or should I say unplayable?) as far as I've seen.
Old 01 January 2010, 17:54   #30
MazinKaesar
Super Robot Pilot

Bosses in Mazin Saga per Megadrive and final boss in Bloodrayne for PC!
Old 01 January 2010, 18:29   #31
wlcina

Shufflepuck cafe - the last boss fat ugly sun of a beach !
Old 02 January 2010, 06:04   #32
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
Ahh, boss fights.

A friend of mine summed up gaming in the 80s:

You're at the boss, trying your very best to stay alive. Your friend who's spectating shouts "Kill it! Kill it!" and between sobs, you manage to let out a feeble "I can't".
LOL... that is so funny and true I had a friend once back when i first got my Amiga that would put his finger right on the screen and point here and there and say "go there, go here, shoot him, go up!.etc.." and so many times i would just have to say to him in the end "JUST SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!!, HOW I AM SUPPOSED TO KILL ANYTHING WITH YOU POINTING ALL OVER THE FUCKING SCREEN!!!!??????????"
Old 18 March 2010, 19:12   #33
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
3 words:
New Zealand Story.

Boy!!
These bosses are really tough...(always too little room to manoeuver; one wrong movement and they gotcha!) I really had to control the hell out of my Competition Pro to defeat them for good!
(I mean levels 3 and above, of course...)

There is another (sort-of-)boss in a less known game, Contraption Zack that looks like a machine on legs...a sort of robot able to reassemble himself after a short time! Maybe you know which I am talking about...

Xenon:
No uber-game, I know.
But the bosses are really beasts...and I mean all of them.

Rogue Trooper:
The hardest I ever had to deal with.
Plus, you never get any energy anywhere, with half a handful of exceptions...

Lastly...
Midnight Resistance. (trainer OFF, trainer keys OFF)
Just try to beat those as if you only had the original, no tempting trainer option(s)
It's a nightmare.

Last edited by andreas; 18 March 2010 at 19:24.
Old 18 March 2010, 21:34   #34
deicidal
Registered Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
Parasite of LSD.
Brilliant , it made me laugh at the time with what you lot wrote in one of your demos
Old 29 March 2010, 00:59   #35
Falcon Flight
evicted psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade002 View Post
LOL... that is so funny and true I had a friend once back when i first got my Amiga that would put his finger right on the screen and point here and there and say "go there, go here, shoot him, go up!.etc.." and so many times i would just have to say to him in the end "JUST SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!!, HOW I AM SUPPOSED TO KILL ANYTHING WITH YOU POINTING ALL OVER THE FUCKING SCREEN!!!!??????????"
Heeheheeeee! heehehehehe! I can relate to this, as I'm one of _those_ guys.

A few comments on what ppl have found hard bosses:
Xenon 1, boss 1: you gotta be kiddin, man! That thing's a walk in the park; I was 10. All you do is shoot it up the **nt. You don't really need power-ups, either. If you hate that boss, you mustn't have got too far in that game, as level 1 is nothing.

Rainbow Islands, boss 3: this one's reasonable, all though it must be said if you've got 3 fast rainbows and stand in my "special place" , he goes down faster than any boss in the game, every time.

Chrono Trigger? wtf? This isn't an Amiga game! anyway no SNES RPG is hard, and this one's the most childish of the lot. you just weren't levelled enough. There's nothing necessarily tactical in it (I played that puppet, on 5x fast forward).

the most punishing games with hard bosses in my exp are always SEUs. I remember back in the old days, one e.g. _Last Resort_ (Neo Geo)had killer guardians that made you break down in tears
Old 29 March 2010, 01:07   #36
Falcon Flight
evicted psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_a500 View Post
I never even heard the term "boss" used in gaming until I started visiting EAB. It must be a European term or a "Nintendo generation" term, because in all my gaming experiences in the 80's I never once heard the term "boss". We just said things like, "Watch out! There's a big fucking guy at the end of the level!"
not sure when I first heard the "boss" term, if memory serves twas Double Dragon in the arcades. before that, "end of lvl guardian" was common, but a mouthful.
Old 29 March 2010, 10:39   #37
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_a500 View Post
I never even heard the term "boss" used in gaming until I started visiting EAB. It must be a European term or a "Nintendo generation" term, because in all my gaming experiences in the 80's I never once heard the term "boss". We just said things like, "Watch out! There's a big fucking guy at the end of the level!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
"End level boss" is the common term here for 30 years
In Germany we even have our own word : Endgegner (which kinda translates to 'last enemy')
Old 29 March 2010, 11:18   #38
zipper

Or final foe
Old 29 March 2010, 11:22   #39
deicidal
Registered Insane

The angel thing at the end of Final Fantasy 7, i was starting to loose the will to live it went on that long.
Old 29 March 2010, 22:17   #40
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by deicidal View Post
The angel thing at the end of Final Fantasy 7, i was starting to loose the will to live it went on that long.
its all about the materia configurations. The thing attacked one of my chars once, that char did 12 counter attacks at 9000+ damage each (of course that requires some level grinding in the northern crater, but counter attack is really easy to master). Then I threw a knights of the round after it for kicks and it was dead. Took at most 2 minutes I'd say.

Leveling in this game is not hard, as long as you never sell the double/triple AP weapons.