English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 24 June 2009, 11:44   #21
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Crud! Coagulus is the winner. I am indeed brooding on a fun version of Wonderboy in Monsterland, this time in a gigantic all direction scrolling world with RPG quest elements and of course the ability to save your progress. Towns, hidden upgraded equipment that you have to quest for, secret caves, perhaps even a leveling system. Wonderboy lends itself wonderfully for such a setup, with some gameplay improvements like smoother jumping and collision detection and such. Personally I can imagine many a fun hour building additions to the game world. The game itself is quite easy to build as a tile based platformer, the only thing that will be a challenge is to make the quest system flexible enough.

Well now that the secret is already out, what do you guys think?
Old 24 June 2009, 11:51   #22
Shoonay
Global Caturator

gimme gimme!
Old 24 June 2009, 11:56   #23
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post

It sounds awesome (always loved WiM even with its flaws) and look forward to see what you come up with Be prepared that I'll kick your ass if it becomes too quiet
Old 24 June 2009, 12:26   #24
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

my idea is to release constant progress updates that are actually "playable" Even if it only shows the main menu and then quits. Makes testing a lot easier also.

While we discuss ideas to put in the game, I finish the LevelBuilder app.
Old 24 June 2009, 22:10   #25
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Crud! Coagulus is the winner. I am indeed brooding on a fun version of Wonderboy in Monsterland, this time in a gigantic all direction scrolling world with RPG quest elements and of course the ability to save your progress. Towns, hidden upgraded equipment that you have to quest for, secret caves, perhaps even a leveling system. Wonderboy lends itself wonderfully for such a setup, with some gameplay improvements like smoother jumping and collision detection and such. Personally I can imagine many a fun hour building additions to the game world. The game itself is quite easy to build as a tile based platformer, the only thing that will be a challenge is to make the quest system flexible enough.

Great idea. It's probably easy to beat the lously Amiga/C64 versions. RPG quest elements sounds nice. Good luck with it.
Old 24 June 2009, 23:24   #26
Cammy

Quote:
I am indeed brooding on a fun version of Wonderboy in Monsterland, this time in a gigantic all direction scrolling world with RPG quest elements and of course the ability to save your progress. Towns, hidden upgraded equipment that you have to quest for, secret caves, perhaps even a leveling system. Wonderboy lends itself wonderfully for such a setup, with some gameplay improvements like smoother jumping and collision detection and such.
Hey, that sounds just like three of the official sequels that came out of Wonderboy in Monsterland; Wonderboy and the Dragon's Trap, Wonderboy in Monsterworld, and Monsterworld IV. They all play similarly to Wonderboy in Monsterland, except they have more RPG-style quests, save states, towns, upgrades, caves and a levelling system, as well as improved collision detection and smoother jumping! They also have nicer looking graphics than Wonderboy in Monsterland, so might provide some better blocks and sprites to rip than the old Amiga port of Wonderboy in Monsterland. If you haven't already played them, I'd highly recommend it. These games have been the main inspiration behind two of the current game projects we're working on at Underground Arcade, and I believe the RPG/Adventure elements of the Wonderboy games are what sets them well above most other platform games.
Old 25 June 2009, 08:03   #27
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammy View Post
Hey, that sounds just like three of the official sequels that came out of Wonderboy in Monsterland; Wonderboy and the Dragon's Trap, Wonderboy in Monsterworld, and Monsterworld IV. They all play similarly to Wonderboy in Monsterland, except they have more RPG-style quests, save states, towns, upgrades, caves and a levelling system, as well as improved collision detection and smoother jumping! They also have nicer looking graphics than Wonderboy in Monsterland, so might provide some better blocks and sprites to rip than the old Amiga port of Wonderboy in Monsterland. If you haven't already played them, I'd highly recommend it. These games have been the main inspiration behind two of the current game projects we're working on at Underground Arcade, and I believe the RPG/Adventure elements of the Wonderboy games are what sets them well above most other platform games.
Yes I'll certainly look into replacing some graphics with that of the sega versions. But I like to stick to the Amiga graphics more because that is what we are all freaky about here But I'll certainly give those games a play again to get some more ideas.

Anybody else have some burning desires that they just want to see in a game like this? Feel free to share! Tell your friends! (IE. the dudes that don't seem to even give the amiga game factory forum a look for some reason or another).
Old 25 June 2009, 16:20   #28
Egg Shen

A Wonder Boy in Monsterland port for the Amiga ?
Wow !
WBML is actually one of my 5 all times favourite arcade games !!

I remember, back in 92, just after finishing my last high school year, I spent my summer working and finally bought an arcade cabinet, a dream becoming true, since my first arcade experience when I was 12 or so. The cabinet was second hand and sold with Black Dragon (jp version of Black Tiger). And soon after I bought the WBML jamma card. I played it countless time !
I got my first Amiga (a A1200) some months after and I was very disappointed when I saw most of arcade port (Black Tiger, Double Dragon, Vigilante, Altered Beast, Shinobi... and WBML !! Aaarg ! It was terrible !!).

Although you want to make a modified conversion (more on the RPG side), I have a question : would you be willing to port the game faithful to the original ? At least, a version for the original WBML fans out there, that plays the same than the jamma one, so that fans could enjoy the arcade experience again, but on their Amiga.
And using this engine you could enhance it to make your RPG version.
Would it be possible ?

Old 25 June 2009, 16:24   #29
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Sorry to burst you Bobble Bubble there matey, but see post #6
Old 25 June 2009, 16:28   #30
Egg Shen

Damn !

Old 25 June 2009, 16:34   #31
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

besides, there already is a port for the Amiga Not too good, but it works and is somehow still a lot of fun. I just abuse the Amiga version's assets for my own project.
Old 25 June 2009, 16:50   #32
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
besides, there already is a port for the Amiga Not too good, but it works and is somehow still a lot of fun. I just abuse the Amiga version's assets for my own project.
I hope you don't use the ugly Amiga graphics for this project? Ripping some arcade/console graphics from the Wonder Boy series would be better.
Old 25 June 2009, 18:29   #33
Coagulus
Gets there in the end...

cool! I nearly got round to coding a Wonderboy III type game but after doing graphics and music never got to the coding stage due to "procrastination issues"! Hope you get it done!
Old 26 June 2009, 08:27   #34
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
I hope you don't use the ugly Amiga graphics for this project? Ripping some arcade/console graphics from the Wonder Boy series would be better.
Yes I will But I will use some graphics from console/arcade versions where it works better. The Amiga graphics are not that bad.
Old 26 June 2009, 08:33   #35
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
The Amiga graphics are not that bad.
But the PC Engine ones are a lot better : http://www.mobygames.com/game/turbo-...nd/screenshots
Old 26 June 2009, 09:37   #36
Leffmann

Would love to see a game similar to Wonderboy and the Dragon's Trap on the Amiga. It's interesting how console games often had more depth and feeling than Amiga games, and computer games in general. I think the console developers had bigger visions and focused on the experience whereas computer developers seemingly focused more on technical details.
Old 26 June 2009, 12:32   #37
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
But the PC Engine ones are a lot better : http://www.mobygames.com/game/turbo-...nd/screenshots
In some ways yes, in others no. To me this is a clear case of overusing the extra colors, in some bobs/sprites they are really screaming at you. But for example the simple background graphics, like trees or clouds, I find very usable. So thank you for informing me of the existence of this version
Old 26 June 2009, 12:39   #38
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

You right about the colour abuse in some sprites, but overall the design looks more sophisticated. I'm sure you'll find the right balance
Old 26 June 2009, 18:10   #39
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
In some ways yes, in others no. To me this is a clear case of overusing the extra colors, in some bobs/sprites they are really screaming at you. But for example the simple background graphics, like trees or clouds, I find very usable. So thank you for informing me of the existence of this version
It's nearly an 1:1 port of the arcade version, minus some shopkeeper and boss sprites. The Amiga look is complety different. Anyway, i'm in the hope for a good platformer with fantasy RPG elements.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 26 June 2009 at 18:21.
Old 29 June 2009, 09:02   #40
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

in any case, here are some gameplay/overall improvements I aim to make. Feel free to add a few ideas of your own you know!

- remove any "technology" stuff (no conveyor belts, the dragon will not be robotic)
- improve jumping to be more "mario" like, giving you more control
- improve collision detection so the game's attack system is less frustrating
- bounce back when an arrow/bubble hits your shield will be far less severe
- ability to switch between secondary weapons (bombs, fireballs, etc.)
- colored equipment like in the arcade version - the color determines the strength
- no time depletion
- save "houses" (no saving just anywhere, that is too easy)
- you keep all the swords you find and you can switch between them at save "houses". Maybe the same for armor. Could give the possibility of having fire resistant armor and such to help you get through a specific lava section.
- to aid in the quest system that will be added, you will have a "quest inventory" that will show you all active quests, and a short, probably cryptic, description of the next step to be taken.

More improvements will follow.