English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 06 July 2001, 05:27   #21
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I agree with Akira 100% ... if make it more real means make it unplayable, then I prefer to make it unreal. Take a look at the Winning Eleven series in the PSX, they are rather realistic and still very playable.

Also, I think Goal is as realistic as Kick Off 2, and much more play playable

Goal would be much better with a kind of analogic joystick, so you would have better control of the speed of the player (Instead of running like hell, or have to tap the joystick to a direction, so you don't get full speed and have more control of the ball)
Old 06 July 2001, 19:58   #22
Amiga1992

Ahhh good ole tapping! I remember that technique, from when I played Goal! to no end (that was before I tried Sensi). I remember we got to play it in the MANIC speed mode... now ICant even play it I have to try to master that game again.
Old 04 September 2004, 18:05   #23
Marcuz

eye of the Beholder for sure; the first time until half game then back and forth. there it was a time it was becoming like my house, i was firing it up like a modern mmorpg and reserving different floors of the dungeon for different stuff to stash; i had my training area in the kenku levels, my living room in the dwarf' area, i also had, you know, the places in your house where as a kid you had fear to go, like the cellar with huge spiders...
Old 04 September 2004, 21:43   #24
spiff
Oh noes!

Aah.. Civilization, lemmings and EOTB2.

I still remember sitting in school all the day doing nothing else but counting down the minutes until I could load up civ, dreaming of the disks and so on. And then friday came 2.5 whole days of NOTING but CIV! Hallelulea!!
Unfortunately my mum dragged me away on some “parent activity” on saturday.. I couldn’t believe she didn’t understand that I HAD to play.. or I would die right there on the spot or something…

Seeing it now, classic gaming addiction. I probably was high enough on dopamine to chew off my right leg if it would get me out of there and back home to civ.
Old 06 September 2004, 14:58   #25
oldpx

Eye of the Beholder 2.

I was stuck with a puzzle for 2 years

Old 06 September 2004, 16:38   #26
Hillsy_

Hmmm....alot...

Formula 1 Grand Prix.
Civilization.
SWOS.
Player Manager. (maybe ST version, Can't remember!!)
Xenon 2.
Blades of Destiny.
Might & Magic III.
Elite.
Superfrog.
Eye of the Beholder.
Eye of the Beholder 2.
Bloodwych (not data disk).
Captive.
Knightmare.
Turrican 1+2.
Apidya.
Kick off 2.
SSI AD&D games, especially Curse of the Azure Bonds.
UFO Enemy Unknown.
Speedball 2.

I use to play games alot!!

- Hillsy.

PS: Yes, I got stuck on a puzzle too on EOTB2, it was a bug in the game!! I found a solution in a magazine so I could pass it.
Old 10 September 2004, 02:41   #27
Freakyweakywoo
(c) killergorilla 2007

Elite, though after Frontier I never played it again. The idea of having to manually dock with the space station was a turn off. My best Elite moment was surviving a mis-jump after fighting my way through quite a few thargoid ships.

EOTB II and Settlers also hermitised (I think I just created a new word) me for days on end.
Old 10 September 2004, 11:21   #28
StarEye
Zone Friend

SWOS
Lotus II
Civilization perhaps
The Settlers have taken some of my time too.
Pirates! is one of my most played games of all time, just like the first two on this list.
Old 10 September 2004, 11:26   #29
wlcina

frontier 2 - I was hemeroiditized when I was playing this game 8 hours per day 7 days per week ;-)
Old 10 September 2004, 11:37   #30
Bloodwych

Flippin' Heck! Who revived this old thread from the deep recesses of EAB’s bowls......

*checks dates*

Marco! Must have been diggin' deep to find this one!

This is my second ever thread from back in mid-2001 when I first joined up. And not surprisingly, it's a cheap push for Bloodwych! Nice to see my opinion hasn't changed so I needn't post anything new. First was some rambling about StuntCar Racer

Back then you could come up with loads of new threads - since the board had just opened conversation was fresh n kicking! Must have posted several new topics a week and you'd instantly be greeted with loads of replies.

Can't believe I'm going off-topic in my own thread. Oh well, interesting to read all these recent posts. Better get back on-topic:

Marco - nice comparison. Glad to hear you kept a tidy gaming Dungeon!

Spif - so true. People say games aren't truly addictive in that you don't get withdrawal symptoms. Try letting someone tell you that when you're in the middle of finishing an absorbing game.

Burseg - never got stuck on EOTB 1 or 2 although I can empathize - I've got a Black Crypt save disk somewhere from back when it first came out, TOTALLY stuck near what must be the end of the game. I always meant to go back and finish it. Still haven't.

Hilsy - Grab an old friend and finish the datadisk - now!

Freaky - nice new word.
Stareye – Games known as life suckers.
Wlcina – I’m not even trying to pronounce that!

Many past games "hermitised" me, resulting in a little natural and understandable build up in my room:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	messyroom.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	7432  

Last edited by Bloodwych; 10 September 2004 at 11:52.
Old 10 September 2004, 18:04   #31
wanderer
I want an A1000

Ahh, nostalgia time... For some reason right now I can only remember "weird", not-so-blockbuster, games played to death...

Sinbad (I just love this game, my no.1),
Mission Elevator ( ha ha ha the sound samples,
the crazy-lady: "Guilllaaaard.... Guillllaaooorddd" or sth.),
One-on-one Basketball (recently discovered a working adf, )
Captain Planet,
PoweStyx,

Of course Turrican 1+2, Kick Off 2 etc. but I am in
an underrated-games mood now.
Old 10 October 2004, 06:43   #32
Repetition

Following on from some previous posts in this thread.

Wizball came free with my Amiga. I didn't play it for ages cuz I thought it was bound to be cr*p (cuz it was free). What a fool! I was completely addicted when I finally got around to playing it. It was VERY hard to complete, I think I only managed it once or twice. Quite recently, I found a PC conversion... but it was graphically inferior and, worse, no amount of slowing it down slowed it down to Amiga-speed. UNplayable.

My g/f and I would play Pirates! for days on end; often without sleep until we couldn't stay awake any longer....... OR... when my hands were complete agony from endless swordfights or walking on land. My g/f wasn't much good at the fights, so I did all things joystick while she dictated strategy. We'd play for weeks... quit for a few months... then play for weeks again. Brilliant game. Got a PC version of this too but can never be bothered to re-learn it. Sea battles seem too fast.

F1GP - LIke somebody above, I'd do full seasons at full race distance... with damage ON when I got to the point that it was too easy to win with it off. My fave track was Portugal. I'm still miffed that it's missing from the REAL GP calendar. Seems they get rid of all the good overtaking tracks. SOMEWHERE I'll have a notebook with my best laps and race times in it... but I can't say I've seen that particular one recently. I have enough notebooks to build a house extension! Kickstart scores from my Commodore 16 days.... REAMS of planet documents from Elite (C64 - never did get a copy for Amiga)... right up to lap/race times from my Gran Turismo 3 (PS2).

Only game(s) I can remember being addicted to that haven't been mentioned already (that I noticed) were the Microprose X-Com ones. Oh... and Gunship 2000. They rocked.

Old 10 October 2004, 15:43   #33
Macca
Zone Friend

Hmm what games do I keep going back to well in no particular order:

Turrican 2 - obvious why
Speedball 2 - just enjoy a game or two now and again
Kick Off 2 - as above
SWOS - as above above
Bloodwych - as first post really - never completed it but will do one day
Dungeon Master - well - do I need to say anything?
XCOM: UFO Enemy Unknown - completed and still damn addictive

+ Many others...

Macca
Old 12 October 2004, 16:55   #34
kolorabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiff
Aah.. Civilization, lemmings and EOTB2.

I still remember sitting in school all the day doing nothing else but counting down the minutes until I could load up civ, dreaming of the disks and so on. And then friday came 2.5 whole days of NOTING but CIV! Hallelulea!!
I recognize the feeling. For me it's probably a tie between The Settlers and Civilization, and when I wasn't playing one of those games, I was probably thinking about them. For some reason or other, I still think about The Settlers every time I have to carry lots of stuff around..

I'm really curious about the new Settlers-game. I'm glad they've gotten rid of the sugary cute look that plagued the third and fourth game in the series, but I'm kind of afraid that they'll turn it into yet another RTS (which I don't need, now that I have Rome: Total War to play).
Old 13 October 2004, 11:58   #35
Freakyweakywoo
(c) killergorilla 2007

Sometimes I didnt bother to wait for school to finish, just went home and played anyway, didnt do me any harm. I got caught a few times but that was all part of the fun. I really glad my parents didnt take the Amiga off me, maybe they knew what trouble I could get up to if I was out on the street causing mayhem.

Discalimer: Skipping school is not cool, education is very important. (or you can just catch up in later life )
Old 13 October 2004, 13:11   #36
Marcuz

heh... i was so nice to go to school everyday
Old 22 December 2004, 13:23   #37
Sid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker
Well, that´s exactly my point!

I have never had the ball glued to my feet when playing. My passes don´t always find a team mate. It doesn´t help screaming "Slower!" when an opponent outruns you. If it was like this, football would be utterly boring.

SWOS may be a good game, but it has very little to do with the real thing.
Totally agree!
SWOS is a great game ... KO2 is more realistic and not as predictable to score.

GOAL! was supposed to be the new KO3... somehow that got changed with Anco demanding rights off Dino Dini... and that is also a class game!
My bro could never figure out my expert dribbling!