English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 29 October 2012, 00:53   #21
lost_loven

@novacoder :

Does that mean all us ESC users are s.o.l. for updates? (its been awhile). I don't use the Graffiti mode at all unless tinkering around, but i don't think its pointless. The Indivision ECS did create a nice 256 color workbench which is a work in progress and i hope it continues to be developed. Never the less it did breath extra life in my Amiga and if i get a few more years out of it i will be happy.

lost
Old 29 October 2012, 01:05   #22
desiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiman99 View Post
I have A600 with ACA630 25MHz, could someone tell me why DoomAttack in Graffiti mode does not work?
So, there were 3 things I had to do to get it to work for me.
(Well, having a Graffiti or Indi ECS would be step 0).

1: Your Amiga has to be in the mode (PAL/NTSC) you are going to play the game. Sounds obvious, but if your Amiga is an NTSC Amiga, you choose NTSC Graffiti mode below. (Or boot your Amiga into PAL mode with the early boot menu, then you can choose PAL in DoomAttack)
2: Edit the .doomrc file to point to the c2p_graffiti file for C2P.
3: Launch DoomAttack and hold down the SHIFT key. That will pull up a screen choice menu. In that menu, choose the Graffiti mode that matches the mode your machine booted in (PAL/NTSC).

As for the IndiECS, I think I heard that there is a config tool to make sure that mode is enabled?????
(I don't have an ECS, but a real Graffiti card)

desiv
Old 29 October 2012, 01:34   #23
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiv View Post
Edit the .doomrc file to point to the c2p_graffiti file for C2P.

desiv
This bit is weird and shouldn't be needed with Graffiti? Maybe it that C2P routine doesn't actually do C2P (ie it's just a dummy that does a simple memory copy?).

I just had a look at both the DoomAttack and ADoom source code and couldn't see any mention of C2P with either of them (also discovered why ADoom's Graffiti mode is so slow )

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost_loven View Post
@novacoder :

Does that mean all us ESC users are s.o.l. for updates? (its been awhile). I don't use the Graffiti mode at all unless tinkering around, but i don't think its pointless. The Indivision ECS did create a nice 256 color workbench which is a work in progress and i hope it continues to be developed. Never the less it did breath extra life in my Amiga and if i get a few more years out of it i will be happy.

lost
256 color WB mode? Do you mean the ECS RTG driver? The ECS RTG driver didn't use Graffiti, it use the same direct chunky frame buffer routine that ADoom v1.4 uses. The author of the ECS RTG driver was waiting for some of Jens' valuable time to try and improve it last time I heard.

In summary, if you have an Indivision ECS use the direct chunky mode (which is still slow but anyway), if you have AGA then Graffiti is the way to go

Last edited by Graham Humphrey; 29 October 2012 at 09:31. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged
Old 29 October 2012, 01:38   #24
amiman99

It did not work, the colors are way off.
Same game folder works fine in A1200. Maybe my Graffiti is for AGA only.
Old 29 October 2012, 01:44   #25
desiv

I wonder if part of the problem is that these programs expect to perform C2P.
And the C2P routines have to do a C2P which doesn't actually do a C2P.

I just did a quick check and c2p_020_optimized is faster than c2p_graffiti.

I'm wondering if that's because they build a screen as planar, expecting a C2P for the functions??????

I really don't know, just thinking out loud..

desiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiman99 View Post
It did not work, the colors are way off.
Same game folder works fine in A1200. Maybe my Graffiti is for AGA only.
No, the Graffiti isn't AGA only, although I suppose it's possible that that DoomAttack's Graffiti support is AGA only...

desiv

Last edited by Graham Humphrey; 29 October 2012 at 09:31. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged
Old 08 November 2012, 11:08   #26
NovaCoder

Has anyone got ADOOM v1.3 to work in Graffiti mode? I can't get it to work using WinUAE.
Old 07 December 2012, 23:38   #27
desiv

Well, got around to trying 1.3.
Didn't work with my Graffiti.
I did (at least a few times) get some garbled graphics that looked abit like what I was seeing in Nemac IV before I changed its GRA-WINLEFT setting.
Of course, ADoom has no such setting, so I couldn't tweak that to get it working...

I haven't tried Trapped yet I don't think (I got a bit ill, so haven't poked at my Amiga for a few weeks and forgot where I left off), so I'll try to track that one down...

I never did find a version of Gloom that I could get to work with Graffiti, even tho there are mentions of it working. Maybe it was a demo version and never released?

desiv
Old 08 December 2012, 01:21   #28
NovaCoder

Thanx, that confirms what I was seeing in Winuae then
I will now try and update my Doom port to add Graffiti support and see if we can get it to run faster on your 1200 than using C2P
Old 09 January 2013, 00:59   #29
NovaCoder

Looks like Graffiti support won't be coming to the Indy Mrk2 anytime soon so I will put my plans to add Graffiti support to BOOM on hold for now.
Old 09 January 2013, 02:28   #30
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
Looks like Graffiti support won't be coming to the Indy Mrk2 anytime soon so I will put my plans to add Graffiti support to BOOM on hold for now.
Yes, that's a pity. BTW could you help him to develope the new core? If so, surely he would share with you what you need to use the graffity support.
Old 09 January 2013, 10:31   #31
NovaCoder

No, sorry the Indy core is not my area, I wouldn't have a clue.