English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 14 October 2006, 21:23   #21
Doc Mindie
In deep Trouble

Sidenote... isn't StormC based on the GCC compiler? And, if so, isn't it "illegal" to not have the sourcecode to StormC available, acording to the GNU GPL?

Also, Which version of GnuC was StormC based upon?
Old 14 October 2006, 22:13   #22
rgen

Send a message via ICQ to rgen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mindie
Sidenote... isn't StormC based on the GCC compiler? And, if so, isn't it "illegal" to not have the sourcecode to StormC available, acording to the GNU GPL?

Also, Which version of GnuC was StormC based upon?
Yes, StormC 4 is based on a modified GCC (don't know which version).
The availabilty of the source code according to GPL does not force you to deliver the source with the binary, it's enough to give it out on request and only if you have the binary. It is not necessary to give it to you even if they give the binary to billions of other people but you. Furthermore they are allowed to charge a small fee to cover their costs (media or online costs). If the above points are valid then mail them and only then it's illegal if they don't give out the code.
Old 08 November 2006, 11:38   #23
Doc Mindie
In deep Trouble

That would at least mean I could get the sourcecode to the demoversion that was given away with CUAmiga sometime ago...... right? From said sourcecode, according to GNU GPL, I could modify it to make a fully functional version.... as long as I follow the GNU GPL and such and so forth......

Or have I completely misunderstood the concept?
Old 08 November 2006, 13:01   #24
rgen

That's right. But if your thoughts are that you get the source to the whole StormC package, then I must disappoint you.
You will only get the sources to the compiler itself and in consideration of its age, I think it's an older version than what is currently available and don't worth the hassle.
Old 13 November 2006, 09:52   #25
Doc Mindie
In deep Trouble

My main concern here, isn't wether or not I get the "full complete sourcecode and such and so" it's more the "according to the GNU/GPL, what do they have todo" kinda thing, if that makes any sense?

I'm just fairly certain the GNU GPL says "Sourcecode shall be made available to anyone upon request" which mean, if they don't follow that up, they'll be breaking the GNU GPL, and thus the GNU people can take action against them.

Anyways... I'm not a coder, can't make "hello world" if me life depended on it, but it's the principal. And I'm tempted to request the sourcecode for StormC just to check if they follow the GNU/GPL
Old 13 November 2006, 12:50   #26
rgen

Okay, I thought you wanted to be productively and do something with the source, that was what I meant with not worth the hassle.

Anyway, I got the pleasure to visit their web site and look what I've found: http://www.haage-partner.net/downloa...nu_sources.lha
Old 21 November 2006, 03:48   #27
cdoty
RasterSoft Dev

Send a message via ICQ to cdoty Send a message via AIM to cdoty
Is there something in Amiga OS before 2.0 that make using C difficult? None of the gcc compilers I've seen can target 1.3.
Old 23 November 2006, 01:02   #28
rgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdoty
Is there something in Amiga OS before 2.0 that make using C difficult? None of the gcc compilers I've seen can target 1.3.
Quite the opposite. There is something not in OS 1.x
Seriously, there were compilers that work on and for OS 1.x but Kickstart 1.3 is very very old and was already declared obsolete by Commodore. Kickstart doubled its size from 1.3 to 2.0 and although the requirements that a compiler wants from an OS are simple, give me memory and some file I/O, there were huge improvements in this area like buffered I/O and lots of smaller ones like the introducion of stderr or path handling and pattern matching functions which are interesting for a compiler, too. So, when gcc was ported its requirements like a harddisk and for serious work several MB ram and a turbocard were big for an Amiga and these users usually had Kickstart 2.0 and there was no reason not to use it.

So your best chance is to ask for a older SAS/Lattice C compiler here. Maybe also DICE works, I don't know.

If by target 1.3 you only mean that the output of gcc works under 1.3 not the compiler itself this should be possible if you use the -noixemul switch and avoid linking with any startup code and runtime library but you have to setup it somehow.
I would recommand vbcc as it have a minstart.o startup module which only setup register a4 and ExecBase thus running everywhere.