English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 08 December 2001, 16:20   #21
Bloodwych

Was hired guns a first person shooter?

Never had the game but remember reading a review a few years back thinking the 4-player action looked cool.

One of the absolute original FPS has to be Hostages, where you storm the building and kick ass, first-person style! I remember trying to write my name on the walls with bullets, real tricky. The suspense was great as you looked for the terrorists and BAMB, hitting that joystick button never felt better!

Why do PC owners think Wolfenstein and Doom were the original FPS? The Amiga had them way before the PC............
Old 08 December 2001, 16:57   #22
oldpx

Can Line of Fire be considered as an FPS? You did not control the movement but it was in first person and you were shooting

It's surprising that no one mentioned Breathless yet

Old 10 December 2001, 13:43   #23
Tim Janssen

Wink My Dictionary of Games

Hmm, defining 'First Person-shooter' can be very subjective. For me a a FPS is a game where you can move freely in 3D, shoot as many baddies as you want and doesn't require much thinking.
The 3D levels in Hostages are a good example of it. When I come to think of it, the Vietcong tunnel-sections in Platoon can also be regarded as a FPS!

Line of Fire is nothing more than a scrolling shooting galery for me like countless other games: the duckshoot at the local Fair, POW, Operation Wolf on Amiga and Time Crisis 2 on PS2.

Personally I think Hired Guns is a RPG. For me RPGs are equal to 'games that require too much thinking'. HG is one of the creepiest, scariest RPGs that has ever graced my Amiga. The levels are H-U-G-E. There are so many hidden corridors and traps you could spent hours in. My experience in this game is that most of my partymembers get drowned or fall to death in endless pits. Very scary. :eek
Old 10 December 2001, 14:49   #24
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Well, while the genre came into popularity due to several popular 3D FPS on the PC, I don't think a FPS has to be 3D. That very correlation is what makes me hate the genre so much. FP defines the perspective, and S defines the game style.
Old 05 December 2022, 22:42   #25
oscar_ates

This is an old thread. But Amiga is known to be bad at texture mapping because of planar graphics. Alien breed 3d was too chunky. Fears was very weird. I think Gloom was ok.among them except there is only a ball firing gun. Real Doom was best fps on Amiga but you need a 68060 to play it full speed. So.it was end of Amiga
Old 05 December 2022, 22:49   #26
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Behind The Iron Gate deserves more attention. Especially the color palette.
Old 05 December 2022, 22:52   #27
oscar_ates

That game all blue was terrible
Old 05 December 2022, 22:57   #28
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Behind The Iron Gate deserves more attention. Especially the color palette.
Soothing palette though
Old 05 December 2022, 23:01   #29
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Here's an amazing story of something I came across yesterday at work. We have a large network with a lot of peoples back-ups on it from years ago. I was looking through them when I came across one which said AlienBreed. When I looked inside it was all original graphics and artwork from Alien Breed 3D II: The Killing Grounds. 46MB worth of artwork to be exact. I was so amazed. There was loads of art that I haven't even seen in the game. I'll have to ask the guy all about it. Find out if they're any interesting Alien Breed 3D II stories. I can't post any of the graphics by the way for obvious (copyright) reasons so don't ask please!
There were a lot of assets in the source release that weren't in the game. Any crossover?

Damnit, I just realised I replied to a 21 year old post...
Old 05 December 2022, 23:01   #30
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Soothing palette though
Makes you want to drink a Rooibos tea and look at the Ikea catalogue, doesn't it?
Old 05 December 2022, 23:03   #31
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Makes you want to drink a Rooibos tea and look at the Ikea catalogue, doesn't it?
Well, blue is a soothing colour. It's supposedly why the blue screen is death is blue.
Old 05 December 2022, 23:07   #32
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlos View Post
Well, blue is a soothing colour.
Yes, it is. A soothing FPS is something special. The rest of the color choice fits right in.
Old 06 December 2022, 01:59   #33
ImmortalA1000

Fears has the most creepy atmosphere due to the ambient sounds but I play Gloom more often on WinUAE.
Old 06 December 2022, 06:38   #34
oscar_ates

Genetic species graphics were really good but gameplay did not do it for me. There were also some 3d car racing games like virtual car racing and flying high. Graphics and/or gameplay were very bad. At this time ridge racer came to ps1
Old 06 December 2022, 08:22   #35
Reynolds
Alien Breeder

Both Flying High and Turbo Racer would be a better game with a bit more care of the playability. Flying High seems like the very first Need For Speed, as it has textured road and polygon-like buildings along the road, with no turning camera viewpoint, While Turbo R. had a more polygon based landscape but awful physics and control.
Old 06 December 2022, 09:18   #36
StevenJGore
Amiga Fanatic

Breathless was my favourite. With some fast RAM and an accelerator (even just a full 020 like the Apollo 1220 which I had) it became much more playable. AB3D was a close second. Both very playable and atmospheric games.
Old 06 December 2022, 09:46   #37
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenJGore View Post
Breathless was my favourite. With some fast RAM and an accelerator (even just a full 020 like the Apollo 1220 which I had) it became much more playable. AB3D was a close second. Both very playable and atmospheric games.
Notice a complete lack of the word "fun" or a variation of it though. You don't see that word used a lot in this thread. I get why, we didn't think in terms of gameplay fun when it came to FPS games. They were judged based on technology first. And that seems to persist to this day.
Old 06 December 2022, 09:47   #38
roondar

The only Amiga FPS's I played for any length of time back in the 90's were AB3D-II and Breathless. I didn't have AB3D, but I've heard good things about it.

I did play others, a whole bunch of them really, including 'big hitters' such as Fears/Gloom. But AB3D-II/Breathless were the only ones I actually liked playing. AB3D-II was a bit of an obsession even for a while (even with the super low FPS as I played it in 'high-res' mode/full screen on a 68030 ). Spend many an evening hunting aliens in it.

Edit: yes, that does mean I found those two to be the most fun of the lot I played
Old 06 December 2022, 11:09   #39
oscar_ates

Doom was fun with variety of maps, enemies and gun. AB3D 1-2 was too hard, first game was very pixelated with small window with AGA base machine in mind. A1200 was not up to the task. Breathless was ok, only gun was missing
Old 06 December 2022, 11:56   #40
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar_ates View Post
Doom was fun with variety of maps, enemies and gun. AB3D 1-2 was too hard, first game was very pixelated with small window with AGA base machine in mind. A1200 was not up to the task. Breathless was ok, only gun was missing
I dispute this. I completed AB3D1 on a stock A1200 with just chip ram. Admittedly, the later levels were tough. With even a modest ram expansion the game was much more playable and on accelerator it was very fluid. Sure the resolution was low but it was par for the course for the first wave of doom clones. And it had full RGB rendering, unlike the C2P engines that followed.