English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 19 October 2023, 20:35   #21
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by retropassionuk View Post
yes you can the extra leads are £14.99 and we done the same for another customer, so 3 leads in total and then mix and match.

And if you dont ask...

eab5 = 5% off amiga psu's valid until 30th november 23
Wicked!
Old 19 October 2023, 23:28   #22
pandy71

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdr View Post
Please keep in mind that the connector/socket becomes a bottleneck above certain current values. Those pins and especially often oxidised "receptacles" are neither meant for nor are performing well at 5A+ In fact they expose problems already at much lower currents
But generally oxidation is not a problem due of connector design - if you reinsert connector few times then all oxidation should be removed (connector self cleaning capability).
Pin load and power capability are other topic - current rating may highly depend on standard applied by connector vendor, usually older standards are more tolerant than newer ones. It will be good to measure voltage drop at particular current - i don't expect significant voltage drop under normal load conditions.
Old 20 October 2023, 14:38   #23
silverdr

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy71 View Post
But generally oxidation is not a problem due of connector design - if you reinsert connector few times then all oxidation should be removed (connector self cleaning capability).
Pin load and power capability are other topic - current rating may highly depend on standard applied by connector vendor, usually older standards are more tolerant than newer ones. It will be good to measure voltage drop at particular current - i don't expect significant voltage drop under normal load conditions.
With completely new and clean plug and socket and suggested 8A, drop is up to 0.25V. Can be somewhat – but not very much – smaller, depending on the insertion. This translates already into a rather considerable amount of heat generated at the tiny contact surfaces. With older components the numbers can only go northwards. And I am not theorising here. I know that from both long-term experience as well as more recent experiments.
Old 20 October 2023, 19:48   #24
pandy71

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdr View Post
With completely new and clean plug and socket and suggested 8A, drop is up to 0.25V. Can be somewhat – but not very much – smaller, depending on the insertion. This translates already into a rather considerable amount of heat generated at the tiny contact surfaces. With older components the numbers can only go northwards. And I am not theorising here. I know that from both long-term experience as well as more recent experiments.
Once again - nowadays parts quality is inferior to old one - el cheapo chinese materials and planned obsolescence makes huge difference.
Ok, lets assume 0.25V drop at 8A (quite high current for Amiga) means 2W of power losses in connector - this is quite high but acceptable loss.
Old 12 February 2024, 23:08   #25
jman

I'm also on the market for a PSU replacement for my 2 freshly recapped Amigas.

I lost the train to get a PowerShark USB-C PSU, so if I understand at the moment the second best option are these PSUs from retropassion.co.uk, correct?

Note: I need to power a stock A600 and an A1200 with a 030 card, both with CF card readers (so I guess nothing fancy).

thanks
Old 12 February 2024, 23:55   #26
wiz12

The CA-PSU should be available again shortly.

https://icomp.de/shop-icomp/en/shop/product/ca-psu.html
Old 15 February 2024, 15:44   #27
jman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz12 View Post
The CA-PSU should be available again shortly.
https://icomp.de/shop-icomp/en/shop/product/ca-psu.html
Thanks! I'm not very technically versed about PSUs but:
- the CA-PSU can provide up to 60W and 5A on 5V and 4A on 12V
- the one on retropassion.co.uk provides a little less. Up to 50W and +5VDC up to 8.0A rated output (total, 4A per channel max) or stabilized +12VDC up to 1.2A rated output (0.6A per channel max).

IIUC the CA-PSU has slightly better specs though the one from retropassion.co.uk (the DUO edition) can power 2 Amigas at the same time (which is nice).

Happy to receive corrections and opinions

Last edited by jman; 15 February 2024 at 15:59.