English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 13 October 2023, 18:28   #21
supaduper

The only thing I can suggest is that some problems like this occur because the Floppy cable has been put into the connector while the A600 is on/HOT which is a recipe for disaster as this most times will blow a CIA chip and obviously you do not know what the previous owner did, I actually did this error myself in the early days with Amiga A600 and I blew the CIA (U8) and was someone helping me then who told me what can happen when HOT PLUGGING !
Old 15 October 2023, 12:23   #22
DXBLouie

well.... a few tests later, i was 100% convinced it's CIAA.
so i set on to swap it... and as i started warming up the board, the smell hit me... burning fish and rubber
went back under the microscope started looking for any dull solder joints, and found cancer.
The board had already been recapped.

https://i.imgur.com/Bo1nBoS.png
Old 15 October 2023, 14:21   #23
supaduper

Yaeh that looks a mess and probably took some via`s with it and the some of the pins on that CIA look very corroded, also you will need to have a good look around the other CIA(U8) as most times the rot has done some damage around that area and also around the Audio circuit below the U8 chip and will take traces and components out, really hope you save the board