English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 14 December 2022, 22:03   #21
Orionis5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidgerry View Post
I was a little shocked to find out there is a GBS8220 in there and also an OSSC albeit optional! I was hoping to hear something new and special that usurped both of these devices.
That is a shock for me to. For this project I would expect more superior option not only monitor frame with regular available options.
Old 15 December 2022, 10:13   #22
Daedalus

The GBSControl software makes a significant difference to the GBS8220 over the standard firmware, so it's worth bearing in mind that that's what is being used for this project.

4:3 is often just used in a more general sense to mean "not widescreen". Some monitors have a setting marked "4:3" that perfectly displays 5:4 and 4:3 resolutions without distorting, for example, and it's only used because the other option is "16:9". I suspect that's what has happened here. As for pixel ratios, monitors like the 1084S aren't perfectly 4:3 either, they're even closer to square than that. Everyone will have had a slightly different pixel ratio - I know I adjusted mine for square pixels back in the day and used Workbench's overscan preferences to fill the screen.
Old 18 December 2022, 16:38   #23
Signman

Looks like Kickstarter is a success. Nostalgia Nerds channel has serious reach and gave it a good last minute push.
Old 19 December 2022, 11:52   #24
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
The GBSControl software makes a significant difference to the GBS8220 over the standard firmware, so it's worth bearing in mind that that's what is being used for this project.
I know it would and agree. Cost me about £25 after mods! Mind you it's a pain in the hole as I cannot get a case for it as I have no 3d printer and anyone selling a case is charging more for it than the dam board cost! I think it's one of the best solutions in all honesty, particularly after you do the clock generator mod. But I have one already and it wouldn't be enough to sell this monitor to me. Besides, if I did by this monitor I would probably go with the standard "pod". Not sure I'd need a GBS as well. Not if could go in VGA and it was upscaled.

I wish it was something I would want to go in on but I don't think I can. Motion blur would need to be eliminated I think for me to be able to commit.

However I did see this video on Saturday night and I very nearly considered jumping in on the go fund me hours before it ended on the 18th.

[ Show youtube player ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilwshu View Post
This is highly unlikely to solve any existing problems that LCDs have, but nobody knows for sure as there have been no independent reviews of it from reliable sources.

50hz>60hz conversion is unlikely to cause motion blur but it would cause tearing. You are best off getting something like the Dell P1917S with an OSSC etc which does support 50hz natively rather than waiting to see what this turns out like (after putting your £300+ down).

No way! OSSC one of the worst devices I have had the misfortune to ever own. I dunno how many monitors I tried with the dam thing and how many settings. I even went as far as buying the exact same monitor as fellow user on here MrClump and then asking for his settings an still could not get the OSSC to play ball.

GBS8220 with GBS Control is definitely in my opinion the best option.

I have an NEC monitor which actually supports 15khz signal but it always has part of the screen cut off at the bottom and this is un-correctable.

If motion blur can't be resolved on an LCD (I am near certain someone told me is was the conversion from 50hz to 60hz on here but perhaps I misunderstood them) then I am not going to bother changing monitors and stick with GBS8220 and GBSControl because the amount of correctability you can do with this is excellent and the picture I get is great, however some games have noticeable motion blur like in Switchblade, and BC Kid when you ride the palm tree.

I have a few other monitor I can try with the GBS board and split the difference on which looks the best but the NEC is handy since it has speaker.

So if I have a CRT but it only supports 60hz, does that mean I would not get motion blur with it? I obviously need to use the GBS to have it converted to 60hz to work on this monitor, but I am just asking as currently it resides in my loft and I don't use the dam thing.

Last edited by rabidgerry; 19 December 2022 at 12:02.
Old 19 December 2022, 12:41   #25
donnie

Good luck to him and his backers!

I thought his cases where pretty nice. This one looks a bit weird thought. Its an ips lcd panel in an bulky crt-esque box? why would you want an flat screen in an bulky ass box?

I way prefer crt over any modern flatpanel for image quality. But crt being bulky, heavy and large is not something i like about them. Flatscreens being flat is the whole selling point..

Anyway good luck to them again. Everyone has different tastes.
Old 19 December 2022, 15:10   #26
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnie View Post
Good luck to him and his backers!

I thought his cases where pretty nice. This one looks a bit weird thought. Its an ips lcd panel in an bulky crt-esque box? why would you want an flat screen in an bulky ass box?

I way prefer crt over any modern flatpanel for image quality. But crt being bulky, heavy and large is not something i like about them. Flatscreens being flat is the whole selling point..

Anyway good luck to them again. Everyone has different tastes.
As he states in his video it's to allow for the modular add on's he describes as "Pods"
Old 19 December 2022, 21:36   #27
RoC

Happy the Kickstarter made it.

Personally, with a OSSC and Framemeister didn’t really make any sense, since they both work just fine (or great, in case of the more expensive FM) with any decent LCD I tested.

But then again, the more hardware available for our miggies, the better.
Old 10 December 2023, 17:29   #28
dreadnought

Has anybody got one of these?

I'm a die-hard CRT user but do like to keep tabs on new monitor developments too. This KS is somewhat hard to process for me though...far as I understand they are selling just the chassis, with some "modular inputs", whatever that means?

So assuming I buy this, I have to also buy a separate monitor, then fit it in, and then their "modules" would somehow convert the image from something like Amiga via SCART?
Old 10 December 2023, 17:51   #29
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post

I'm a die-hard CRT user but do like to keep tabs on new monitor developments too. This KS is somewhat hard to process for me though...far as I understand they are selling just the chassis, with some "modular inputs", whatever that means?

So assuming I buy this, I have to also buy a separate monitor, then fit it in, and then their "modules" would somehow convert the image from something like Amiga via SCART?
They're IPS Panels bud.... Not CRT....

I'm registered for updated info, but I've not heard anything yet.

These guys are main-framing all things Checkmate.....

https://dragonbox.de/en/checkmate-products/

....but go here for Quarter 2 2024 Kickstart backers.....

https://www.checkmate1500plus.com/

....So Retro....

So Amiga....

Last edited by Kin Hell; 10 December 2023 at 18:28.
Old 10 December 2023, 18:23   #30
hiho

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post

The monitors are at least a three more months away from production as work continues on the prototypes.
Old 10 December 2023, 19:21   #31
dreadnought

Wow, this is so confusing

The KS looked like it's for the frame/chassis only. But now I gather they are actually manufacturing monitors, ie IPS panels, too? If that's the case then the lack of proper specs for these is rather confusing (unless I'm missing something).
Old 11 December 2023, 12:21   #32
lilwshu

The intention was always to pay for the chassis upfront and the panels later (I can see no reason for that except avoiding a chunk of Kickstarter fees for the seller) but you would always receive a fully assembled monitor with panel. They appear to have done quite a lot of work on the usability and connectivity over the last year assuming you buy the modular backplane and “retro scaler” (gbs-c) module for more money.

The way the updates are buried in lengthy videos don’t help with trying to figure out what is going on with this project.
Old 11 December 2023, 13:06   #33
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I am a buyer and a fan of Steve but had I known how much the price would explode to when I backed the Kickstarter I probably would have passed.

19" Chassis + Checkmate IPS Panel + Scaler (GBS based) + HDMI Switcher + Backplane + VAT ~= £620 (and that is the Kickstarter price!)

Significantly more than a RetroTink and practically any monitor of your choice.

But it is black and approx 4:3 and will look excellent partnered with my CDTV.
Old 11 December 2023, 13:44   #34
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
I am a buyer and a fan of Steve but had I known how much the price would explode to when I backed the Kickstarter I probably would have passed.

19" Chassis + Checkmate IPS Panel + Scaler (GBS based) + HDMI Switcher + Backplane + VAT ~= £620 (and that is the Kickstarter price!)

Significantly more than a RetroTink and practically any monitor of your choice.

But it is black and approx 4:3 and will look excellent partnered with my CDTV.
I was looking at selling my Boxed Black 1084S Monitor. - But now you say how much these have ballooned, I might consider keeping it some more.

I dropped Steve an Email....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve @ Checkmate via personal Email
List is still the same, I have not emailed yet because I do not want to spam.

Nothing to do yet, we will be in touch.

Last edited by Kin Hell; 11 December 2023 at 13:52.
Old 11 December 2023, 14:13   #35
seb132
French in Australia

Send a message via MSN to seb132 Send a message via Yahoo to seb132
Checkmate monitors kickstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilwshu View Post
The intention was always to pay for the chassis upfront and the panels later (I can see no reason for that except avoiding a chunk of Kickstarter fees for the seller) but you would always receive a fully assembled monitor with panel. They appear to have done quite a lot of work on the usability and connectivity over the last year assuming you buy the modular backplane and “retro scaler” (gbs-c) module for more money.

The way the updates are buried in lengthy videos don’t help with trying to figure out what is going on with this project.

Totally agree that Steve doesn’t know how to make marketing videos… I’m unable to watch any of his!!!
Old 11 December 2023, 16:06   #36
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Hell View Post
I was looking at selling my Boxed Black 1084S Monitor.
I have a Black CDTV 1084S-D2 (not boxed and the front panel cover is 3D printed reproduction) but like all monitors of this age it needs recapping and will need a new LOPT at some point. Not something I am comfortable to do myself.
Old 12 December 2023, 08:13   #37
hiho

The most unexpected development is the possibility of a MiniMig variant that slots into the card chassis.
Old 12 December 2023, 09:28   #38
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Minimig v1.x wasn't that accurate a recreation. It was a series of compromises given the technology of the day. Development has come a long way since then with MiSTer playing a big role. Can the improvements be back ported to fit in such an old FPGA? If it can't lots of demos won't look exactly correct. A 12-bit video DAC means no AGA. PWM based audio DAC means it won't sound identical to an Amiga. PIC based uC means HDD and FDD will be slow and support only the most basic formats.

The idea is cool. Minimig v1.x shouldn't be the starting point

Unless it's dirt cheap
Old 03 January 2024, 05:49   #39
hiho

A working board was demonstrated in today's update video. This is the latest variant of the MiniMig with the 68000 socket populated with a PiStorm.
Old 03 January 2024, 17:26   #40
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

The problems stack up though, the original MiniMig's controller (PIC microcontroller) was pretty bad, it was replaced by an ARM but that also wasn't great. The original Minimig chipset re-creation wasn't particularly accurate, perhaps with enough users the MiSTer OCS/ECS MiniMig code can be back-ported? All depends on price.