English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 31 August 2021, 08:15   #21
Jope
-

Ok, it seems you speculated with a CIA swap before, but haven't reported you actually did it?

The CIA at U350 is responsible for the disk change signal. If you swap it with U300, the problem would move into the serial port handshake signals.

Best would be to take a known good CIA and swap that into U350 instead, but if you don't have any spares, then you need to make do with what you have installed in the machine.
Old 31 August 2021, 15:43   #22
RDP

Jope,

Before I go taking apart the 3000 again to perform the CIA swap (I do not have an extra CIA) I'd like to reconfirm that all my drives work fine when connected externally. In my case would a CIA swap still be worth trying, or do both internal and external drives use the the CIA's in the same fashion?

thanks,
RDP
Old 31 August 2021, 16:18   #23
Jope
-

Ah yes, I forgot you already mentioned that.

The disk change signal is shared across the entire floppy bus. It should thus not be possible to have diskchange working for external drives and not internal drives if the CIA IO line is stuck. Sorry for that hasty conclusion.

The disk change line is only driven by a drive that is selected. Have you checked whether your drive selects are working as they should? No situation where multiple drives are selected and fighting for the floppy bus?

If you can boot into amiga test kit, you could use that to toggle the various signals on the floppy bus and measure to see that they are behaving as they should.
Old 31 August 2021, 21:05   #24
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDP View Post
Jope,

Before I go taking apart the 3000 again to perform the CIA swap (I do not have an extra CIA) I'd like to reconfirm that all my drives work fine when connected externally. In my case would a CIA swap still be worth trying, or do both internal and external drives use the the CIA's in the same fashion?

thanks,
RDP
Assign drive DF?: to DF?

Only asking cos if you ever have only one Floppy drive, it will always ask you for the Disk it booted from when performing an operation from the installed Disk....

The External thing is screwing me up?
Old 01 September 2021, 13:54   #25
RDP

Kin,

Sorry if I am confusing. I only mean that when I connect any of my three available drives to the external port they work. Not sure if my explanation is helping!

thanks,
RDP
Old 01 September 2021, 14:21   #26
RDP

Jope,

Well, this is pretty amazing software. I'm not sure what exactly I should test but here are a few "discoveries".

I have two pictures attached one shows as DF0: active, then F5 Signal Test is selected. The other is DF2: active, then F5 Signal Test is selected.

Findings:

1. Those floppy IDs, does that seem correct?

2. If I go into F5 Signal Test and select DF1, my DF0 motor responds. If I select DF3: it notes "Drive not present?". Seems to be some ghost response from DF1:..... however, a READ TEST on DF1 fails.

3. The most "hint"?: When I select DF2:, then Signal Test, the drive starts sending index pules immediately. If I select DF0: is does not send any pulses immediately. I can go back and forth between F1 DF0: and F3 DF2: and I will not get any index pulses from DF0:, only from DF2:. The messages for each drive are (both have floppy inserted, both pass the Read Tests perfectly):

DF0: (Chinon FZ-357A) on selection
CIAAPRA=0xfc ( )
MTROFF->RDY1 0us
No index pulses

DF2: (FlashFloppy) on selection
CIAAPRA=0xcc (TKO RDY)
MTROFF->RDY0 0us
index pulses present

NOTE: If I force the MOTOR on for DF0 then it responds, and sends the pulses.

Two pictures attached.

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY: I think the culprit is DF0 does not provide any messages at CIAAPRA= (DFO remains in 0xfc state) when ejecting or inserting. With DF2 the status of CIAAPRA= changes when disks are ejected or inserted. Only by forcing motor on DF0 can I get updates.

DF0 states
disk in motor off = 0xfc
disk out motor off = 0xfc
disk in motor on = 0xc8
disk out motor on = 0xe0

DF2 states
disk in motor off = 0xc4
disk out motor off = 0xc8
disk in motor on = 0xc0
disk out motor on = 0xe8

Another finding: Inserting a HD disk into the Chinon FZ-357A has Amiga Test Kit report it as DS-DD 40 instead of 80. Should it not be DS-HD 80?

As well, when I boot with a HD disk in DF0, Workbench, and Amiga Test Kit thinks it is a DD disk.

thanks,
RDP
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5358.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	73068   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5357.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	73069  

Last edited by RDP; 01 September 2021 at 15:59.
Old 04 September 2021, 19:14   #27
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

Quote:
Kin,

Sorry if I am confusing. I only mean that when I connect any of my three available drives to the external port they work. Not sure if my explanation is helping!

thanks,
RDP
No need to suggest you are confusing RDP....

I'm just out of my depth & after reading your following post, I kinda see where you're going with this.

Quote:
As well, when I boot with a HD disk in DF0, Workbench, and Amiga Test Kit thinks it is a DD disk.
Very interesting.
Old 19 February 2022, 14:33   #28
RDP

And now, I can finally update you after a trip to the good Dr. kinmami:

BOTH of my floppy cables were bad the one that was in use, and the spare I had, it took a working cable at the Dr's. to remedy the issue.

Additionally, while it was removed during the testing it was also discovered that the DF0/DF2 selector was causing issues of its own (but not the sense on eject issue).

So, it seems you sometimes need even more than one additional cable to bring into the testing arena......

thanks all!
RDP