English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 26 April 2023, 21:15   #21
Photon

Love to see this, many games for Amiga left palette planning as afterthought (or if port from ST, added no work).
Old 27 April 2023, 02:56   #22
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai_Crow View Post
Palette cycling is quick. You can change banks with the background palette in a single copper instruction.
Ah ok. Using copper I expect. I guess its something to consider when i get a coder for it-
Old 27 April 2023, 17:42   #23
Master484

Quote:
Would it be plausible to do animated water tiles in an ocean level?
Yes, if not all tiles are updated at once, then this sort of thing can be done with directly drawn animated tiles. So some kind of slowly moving waves could by possible. But as already mentioned, palette cycling is usually a better way to do it.
Old 27 April 2023, 17:48   #24
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Browne View Post
Ah ok. Using copper I expect. I guess its something to consider when i get a coder for it-
Have you considered using an engine for your game? RedPill on the Aminet is an Amiga program that allows you to create games or prototypes using point-and-click style "reduced coding" experience.

Edit:
Here's a thread about RedPill http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=108100

Last edited by Samurai_Crow; 27 April 2023 at 19:12.
Old 30 April 2023, 06:02   #25
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master484 View Post
Yes, if not all tiles are updated at once, then this sort of thing can be done with directly drawn animated tiles. So some kind of slowly moving waves could by possible. But as already mentioned, palette cycling is usually a better way to do it.
AH, Samurai Crow was referring to colour cycling like D-paint used to do- yes its easy to do with Pro-motion NG. I can do that
Old 30 April 2023, 06:12   #26
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

Attached is a Quick and very unfinished mock-up for an ocean level.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SEA& GREEN SHIP EAB MOCK-UP.png
Views:	89
Size:	8.0 KB
ID:	78802  
Old 30 April 2023, 07:45   #27
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

Quote:
Have you considered using an engine for your game? RedPill on the Aminet is an Amiga program that allows you to create games or prototypes using point-and-click style "reduced coding" experience.

Edit:
Here's a thread about RedPill http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=108100
I may play around with Red pill on my A1200 at some point yes. For this game Nivrig who made Turbo Tomato will likely code it later.
Old 01 May 2023, 16:14   #28
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Quote:
I may play around with Red pill on my A1200 at some point yes. For this game Nivrig who made Turbo Tomato will likely code it later.
Cool!
Old 02 May 2023, 18:00   #29
DanielAllsopp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master484 View Post
No, there is no need to do that.

To clarify:

On AGA you can always make the sprite colors separate from your main palette. So in 64 color mode your palette setup will look like: 64 + 16. So you'll still have your four 16-color palettes, and in addition to them a separate 16 color sprite palette. So in total you have 80 colors, of which 16 is for sprites only.

So: when sprite colors are outside of the main palette, only then they're reserved for sprites only. And when they are inside the main palette, then they simply use the same colors as your other graphics do.
This isn't possible with a 6 bitplane, or 64 colour setup. Your (attached) 16 colour sprites have to share 16 colour entries of the available 64. Those colours can also be used for BOBs, but you definitely don't get 64 unique colours for the bitplanes, and an extra 16 colours for sprites I'm afraid.

You could raise the number of bitplanes to 7, or 128 colours and have a separate bank for the sprites and 112 unique colours for the bitplanes but that will be slower again.

Last edited by DanielAllsopp; 02 May 2023 at 18:11.
Old 02 May 2023, 18:03   #30
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

AND that should answer the guy that in the Flying Shark thread asked "Why only 16 colours"?
Old 02 May 2023, 20:58   #31
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAllsopp View Post
This isn't possible with a 6 bitplane, or 64 colour setup. Your (attached) 16 colour sprites have to share 16 colour entries of the available 64. Those colours can also be used for BOBs, but you definitely don't get 64 unique colours for the bitplanes, and an extra 16 colours for sprites I'm afraid.

You could raise the number of bitplanes to 7, or 128 colours and have a separate bank for the sprites and 112 unique colours for the bitplanes but that will be slower again.
Extra halfbrite mode and AGA true 6-bitplane are two different modes. On AGA modes, you can relocate the sprite banks up to the end banks.
Old 02 May 2023, 21:27   #32
DanielAllsopp

Quote:
Extra halfbrite mode and AGA true 6-bitplane are two different modes. On AGA modes, you can relocate the sprite banks up to the end banks.
I know, I never mentioned EHB, I’m writing a game in 6 bitplanes on AGA hardware right now; you can’t have a 6 bitplane screen, or 64 colours, and then add another 16 colours (making 80) just for sprites.
Old 03 May 2023, 14:14   #33
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

Quote:
I know, I never mentioned EHB, I’m writing a game in 6 bitplanes on AGA hardware right now; you can’t have a 6 bitplane screen, or 64 colours, and then add another 16 colours (making 80) just for sprites.
Is that definite? Well then I guess I'll go with 64 colours and share some of those for sprites?
Old 03 May 2023, 15:38   #34
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

Quote:
Is that definite? Well then I guess I'll go with 64 colours and share some of those for sprites?
You can select between 16 sets of 16 palette entries for both even and odd sprites using BPLCON4, independently of other screen mode features (ham,dpf).
Old 03 May 2023, 20:28   #35
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

Quote:

So, can I use any of the 64 colours freely for sprites then? Or do i designate a fixed set of 16 colours from the total 64 colours?
Old 03 May 2023, 21:03   #36
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

You can use an independent 16 colors for sprites and 64 colors for BOBs. I don't know what's going on with the code that's being written by the other guy.
Old 03 May 2023, 21:05   #37
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Quote:
You did something wrong then. You can bank select any of the 16 banks of 16 colors for sprites.
Old 03 May 2023, 21:27   #38
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

Quote:
You can use an independent 16 colors for sprites and 64 colors for BOBs. I don't know what's going on with the code that's being written by the other guy.
Ok- cool.
Old 03 May 2023, 23:38   #39
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Quote:
Oh that's nice. Nivrig has done an amazing coding work with Turbo Tomato, so you're definitely in good hands

Still, if you're interesting in prototyping or trying something yourself, I'd strongly suggest to check the Scorpion Engine instead of Redpill. More so since you're planning for a Megadrive release. Scorpion recently got Megadrive support as well, so you can have a project exported for Amiga AND Megadrive. This way you can also directly start testing whatever you're planning to do with gfx.
Old 04 May 2023, 10:23   #40
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsak View Post
Oh that's nice. Nivrig has done an amazing coding work with Turbo Tomato, so you're definitely in good hands

Still, if you're interesting in prototyping or trying something yourself, I'd strongly suggest to check the Scorpion Engine instead of Redpill. More so since you're planning for a Megadrive release. Scorpion recently got Megadrive support as well, so you can have a project exported for Amiga AND Megadrive. This way you can also directly start testing whatever you're planning to do with gfx.
Yes, I'm doing the graphics for his new R-Dek game and I suggested doing a multi platform shmup- he seemed interested- I'm not sure I could get my head around scorpion-tbh.