English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 28 September 2009, 13:09   #21
8bitbubsy

Another way is to twist the capacitors (if you're SURE you have the replacement parts) so they break off, then take off the little black plastic socket, then desolder the remaining pins. Then it's easy to solder on the new ones! If you want to to an even better job, make sure you remove the old solder with a solder wool, add flux, then add some new and dilicious solder on the pads.
Good luck, I'm actually going to recap my A1200 mobo now, as we speak. First time!
Old 28 September 2009, 16:46   #22
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bitbubsy View Post
Another way is to twist the capacitors (if you're SURE you have the replacement parts) so they break off
Now that's some bad advice

Do not twist any parts off, ever, or you'll risk damaging the circuit board Always desolder the parts you want to remove, even if it takes more time
Old 28 September 2009, 17:34   #23
8bitbubsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post

Do not twist any parts off, ever, or you'll risk damaging the circuit board Always desolder the parts you want to remove, even if it takes more time
Not easy if you don't have two soldering irons. I bent/twisted all of the SMD caps now, they all went off fine. Desoldered the remaining pins too.

Old 28 September 2009, 18:31   #24
DoogUK
Doogster

Fortunately the little black sockets protect the board, otherwise you WOULD risk tearing tracks up off the PCB surface.
Old 06 October 2009, 02:46   #25
ami_junkie

Thanks for all the advice guys, at the moment I am waiting for an ATX cable to arrive and I will see if that will fix the problem with the sound, I have a feeling that perhaps the PSU is weak and then using a step up transformer is not powerful enough. Will let you guys know what happens with the new ATX cable.

Old 25 October 2009, 03:48   #26
ami_junkie

Right well I finally got the ATX PSU hooked up and powered up the miggy but the sound is still crappy, really low and fuzzy sounding. So I guess I need to replace the CAPS but to be honest I dont trust myself with an iron, is anyone interested in selling me their a1200 motherboard or who can change the caps?

Old 25 October 2009, 04:03   #27
coze
hastala vista winny vista

Send a message via ICQ to coze Send a message via Yahoo to coze
if you cover the shipping I can change them for you.
Old 25 October 2009, 04:12   #28
ami_junkie

that would be great mate, when would be a good time for you?

Old 25 October 2009, 04:25   #29
coze
hastala vista winny vista

Send a message via ICQ to coze Send a message via Yahoo to coze
you've been pm'ed !
Old 25 October 2009, 11:34   #30
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post

Not true, if you debraid the contacts first. If you dont debraid then yes, I would agree and say its bad advice.
Old 25 October 2009, 11:36   #31
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ami_junkie View Post
Right well I finally got the ATX PSU hooked up and powered up the miggy but the sound is still crappy, really low and fuzzy sounding. So I guess I need to replace the CAPS but to be honest I dont trust myself with an iron, is anyone interested in selling me their a1200 motherboard or who can change the caps?
Cap leakage could have also damaged the sound circuit, I have seen a few boards with this problem and the preamp has been damaged. So changing the caps had no effect.
Old 25 October 2009, 13:29   #32
AlfaRomeo
A1200 040 SAM440EP 667

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
Not true, if you debraid the contacts first.
What that means??
Old 25 October 2009, 13:45   #33
AlfaRomeo
A1200 040 SAM440EP 667

Quote:
Cap leakage could have also damaged the sound circuit, I have seen a few boards with this problem and the preamp has been damaged. So changing the caps had no effect.
After clean the mobo I changed all my A600 caps but it still as beginning, when power on the power led still flashing strongle/weak and my monitor doesn´t have image seems that the A600 doesn´t have composite out and my tv doesn´t detect the A600 RF. The CapsLock key seems work ok, when I press it still with the led on until next reboot..
Could the acid damaged some circuits??

Last edited by AlfaRomeo; 14 January 2013 at 21:48.
Old 25 October 2009, 13:47   #34
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaRomeo View Post
What that means??
Its a tool if you like, you heat the braid against the solder with the iron. The braid then sucks / mops up the solder. Basically it removes the solder from the component legs.

Quote:
After clean the mobo I changed all my A600 caps but it still as beginning, when power on the power led still flashing strongle/weak and my monitor doesn´t have image seems that the A600 doesn´t have composite out and my tv doesn´t detect the A600 RF. The CapsLock key seems work ok, when I press it still with the led on until next reboot..
Could the acid damage some circuits??
Yes, cap leakage can eat the tracks of the circuit away, over time.

Not 100% sure about what your saying.
Do you mean the A600 has always been faulty?

By your pictures a few ic's have their legs messed up by cap damage, hence the green around the legs. Also there appears to be alot of track damage.
If the ic's arent damaged then it will be the holes between the top and bottom of the board that have corroded.
Best way to tackle the holes, is to the scrape the green / black stuff off them, to reveil the copper. Then put a thin piece of wire through the hole and solder it. Doing this should repair the connection, between the top and bottom layers (aslong as the board is double sided, if its multi-layered, then your going to have problems).

Last edited by FOL; 25 October 2009 at 13:56.
Old 25 October 2009, 14:19   #35
AlfaRomeo
A1200 040 SAM440EP 667

Quote:
Not 100% sure about what your saying.
Do you mean the A600 has always been faulty?

..aslong as the board is double sided, if its multi-layered, then your going to have problems.
Thanks by your explanation FOL
Not always, it worked but was stored many years and when I unpacked and test it doesn´t works any more and when opened the case it was like the photos describes.

There are boards with 2 layers and others with more than 2 for the A600 and A1200?
Old 25 October 2009, 14:30   #36
AlfaRomeo
A1200 040 SAM440EP 667

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkauer View Post
Pending in your abilities with a soldering iron, not a very hard job.

If you have two soldering irons just heat the two legs of the capacitor and it will sack out the board quite nicely.
How do you grab two irons at same time and still desolder with the precision that is needed in this case?
I think if I try to desolder the SMD caps legs with 2 irons I will broke something
Old 25 October 2009, 15:14   #37
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
How do you grab two irons at same time and still desolder with the precision that is needed in this case?
I think if I try to desolder the SMD caps legs with 2 irons I will broke something
Its possible, if you have good soldering abilities as Rkauer put it.

Quote:
Thanks by your explanation FOL
Not always, it worked but was stored many years and when I unpacked and test it doesn´t works any more and when opened the case it was like the photos describes.

There are boards with 2 layers and others with more than 2 for the A600 and A1200?
Im not sure with A1200 or A600 boards, havent really had to go that deep into to find out wether or not they are multi-layered. I just know from past experience of working on other electrical devices. The Amiga, may have been just before multi-layer came out. Maybe someone else could give a dafinitive answer.

I know the Index Access is definately multi-layered, atleast the 1's I worked on were.
Old 30 October 2009, 16:35   #38
AlfaRomeo
A1200 040 SAM440EP 667

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkauer View Post
If you have two soldering irons just heat the two legs of the capacitor and it will sack out the board quite nicely.
I have tried this technic and it works great to take out smd caps from mobo
For anyone who don´t want to spend too much money in soldering equipment it´s the best bet.

@ rkauer
Great technic
Old 06 November 2009, 06:00   #39
ami_junkie

I met with Coze yesterday and handed him the A1200, what a nice bloke! It is so rare to meet other Amiga users in Japan and it is great to see how nice they are. Anyways my A1200 is now is his capable hands ... and he managed to fix it! I here by crown Coze as the Amiga Don of Japan!

Old 06 November 2009, 08:49   #40
chiark
Needs a life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ami_junkie View Post
I met with Coze yesterday and handed him the A1200, what a nice bloke! It is so rare to meet other Amiga users in Japan and it is great to see how nice they are. Anyways my A1200 is now is his capable hands ... and he managed to fix it! I here by crown Coze as the Amiga Don of Japan!
Tip top stuff

It's rare to meet fellow Amigans in the UK, so I imagine in Japan it's almost impossible!

I send virtual hugs to Coze for being a true forum hero

And now, before Z says it... Pics?