English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 22 November 2017, 20:04   #21
jotd
This cat is no more

I mean a version of JST, with better whdload support (like CD32load), with joypad control (same options & same way of doing it as CD32load). Basically what CD32load does, but with fastmem file cache like JST/WHDload.

Would be perfect on a keyboardless TF equipped CD32. At least a real console without keyboard & fast loading / no CD errors.

And retains kick 1.3 Compatibility.
Old 22 November 2017, 20:34   #22
Amigajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
I mean a version of JST, with better whdload support (like CD32load), with joypad control (same options & same way of doing it as CD32load). Basically what CD32load does, but with fastmem file cache like JST/WHDload.

Would be perfect on a keyboardless TF equipped CD32. At least a real console without keyboard & fast loading / no CD errors.

And retains kick 1.3 Compatibility.
I see, so what are the benefits over cd32load with fastram, if you have the filecache option selected isn't this the same thing?
Old 22 November 2017, 20:40   #23
solidcore

Akira even better performance can be had when the fastram is 0 waitstate (1 clock cycle) over 2 waitstate (3 clock cycles).
Old 22 November 2017, 21:03   #24
spudje

Sounds very nice JOTD!
Old 22 November 2017, 21:57   #25
jotd
This cat is no more

CD32load doesn't support multiple file caching. It only caches one file, then loads another when needed (and I'm not sure that it even uses fastmem since it's designed to fit in 2MB or even 1MB chip). So it could work with 1-disked games, but on other formats (file-based games, multi-disk game) as soon as CD32load wants to load the other disk, it fails because of the CF-card which isn't supported (I tested that both on WinUAE and on real HW and it doesn't work)

This new JST version is in the works, but as usual work gets in the way, so don't expect it until Xmas (that will be a perfect time though I remember releasing CD32load 2 years ago around december the 28th or something...)

Last edited by jotd; 22 November 2017 at 22:16.
Old 22 November 2017, 23:29   #26
Marchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
I'm confused as to why you want to upgrade it as soon as you got it anyway. You can play tons of games already, just burn them and go. No need for upgrades.
I think you speak wisely Akira.
Old 22 November 2017, 23:44   #27
Marchie

Another (more hardware related) question -

The machine seems to be Mint, ie: unopened, possibly unused - The overwhelming advice I have had from other forums is before I do anything else: GET IT RECAPPED!!!

I am aware there a couple of caps that are on the wrong way or some such as usually blow - since I haven't even turned it on yet, is it a wise idea not to do so until I know I have time to recap if there's a problem? If it works fine is it better to leave an unopened machine alone?

I've heard conflicting advice in this issue with regards to A1200's as well - some say recap, recap, RECAP NOW! as a preventative measure, some say don't risk damaging the motherboard with a bodged recap job if it's working fine.

What say you wise men? (and women?)
Old 22 November 2017, 23:47   #28
Amigajay

I live on the edge, never recapped never will, it will live and die like any of my consoles in its original form!
Old 23 November 2017, 00:46   #29
Glen M

My CD32 is original from 1994 and has never been recapped. I've had to tweak the laser pot a bit in the last few years to keep that going and to be honest there is now an occasional sound issue in that 1 channel seems to drop out. I've inspected the caps and I don't see any leakage etc but I will be recapping in the new year just to be sure.

I suppose what I'm saying is my machine has been fairly well used for the past 23 years or so (I just scared myself with that statement) and its only now looking to need a recap.
Old 23 November 2017, 01:24   #30
dalek

It's a well known fact the caps, in particular the 22uF SMD ones will fail and leak. Recap. Why destroy good hardware through willful ignorance?
Old 23 November 2017, 07:23   #31
supaduper

If you value your CD32`s then I would recap it as the CD32 is a 4 layer PCB and its not if but when those caps leak it could/will cause a world of pain..prevention is always better than cure
Old 23 November 2017, 09:50   #32
Daedalus

There's a truth to both statements Marchie. Yes, you really, really should replace the capacitors before they do damage (and they will, sooner or later). Regular use prolongs the life of the capacitors, but they're of poor quality and will fail and leak corrosive electrolyte sooner or later. Conversely, if the machine hasn't been used for long periods of time, it's likely that at least some of the capacitors have already started leaking.

It's also true that it's possible to damage the board during recapping, and that whoever does it should be experienced in SMT reworking. It's not particularly difficult with the right tools, but it's not for a soldering beginner, or someone without the correct tools. Plenty of boards have been damaged by people not knowing what they're doing during a recap, so it's a balance thing: If you're competent and experienced, you should do it as soon as you can. If you're not, find someone who is to do it for you.

The A1200, 600 and 4000 are all in a similar situation as they all use the same sort of capacitors.
Old 25 November 2017, 17:23   #33
Amiga1992

Advice:
- Recap the CD32. Send the motherboard to someone used to do these repairs, so the risk of damaging it nears zero. There's no point in trying to do it oneself if one is not used to do it.
My CD32 was just fine but recapped it along with all my 1200/600 gear a couple years ago to be on the safe side.

- NEVER touch the laser potentiometers as Glen M described. If the laser starts to act up, just replace the whole thing. The pots are not meant to be touched and if the laser packs up for good eventually, replacing it might never solve the issues because you touched those pots and never recorded the position they were at originally.
Old 26 November 2017, 16:51   #34
Glen M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
NEVER touch the laser potentiometers as Glen M described. If the laser starts to act up, just replace the whole thing. The pots are not meant to be touched and if the laser packs up for good eventually, replacing it might never solve the issues because you touched those pots and never recorded the position they were at originally.
I only adjusted the 1 pot on the laser itself. I agree you'd be best never touching the 4 other pots on the cd drive circuit board. If you replace the laser you'll also be replacing this pot so nothing to worry about. If you mess with those other pots good luck getting it working again.
Old 26 November 2017, 21:59   #35
Daedalus

If you must adjust pots, make a note of the measured resistance between the centre leg and one of the side legs with the power off, rather than the physical position. That way you can be sure you're able to put it back as it was afterwards when it doesn't work.
Old 26 November 2017, 22:10   #36
kipper2k

dont forget, the laser will NOT work good if you dont replace the EMF shield on both the cd32 and the laser circuit board. so adjusting on the fly is not a good idea, you should replace covers after every tweak, very tedious, yes.
Old 27 November 2017, 00:27   #37
Glen M

The pot I'm referring to is on the laser itself. It's not under any shielding. I only moved it maybe an 8th of a turn and everything reads again. If I turn it back only maybe 50% of discs work. The point I was trying to make above is I agree not to adjust the pots on the cdrom controller board. This pot (I think) only controls the voltage to the laser. The thing is 20+ years old and is getting tired. I've simply gave it a bit more voltage to continue working for now. It is only a short term fix and will in the long run burn the laser out quicker but if I can get another few months out of it then I'm happy. The laser is only £5 - £10 on eBay and looks very simple to replace so I'll do that along with the recap.
Old 27 November 2017, 17:13   #38
Amiga1992

I forgot there is a pot on the laser itself. Good call, that will not be affected by a laser replacement, so I guess in worst case scenario, go crazy at it.
But yeah replacing the laser is very cheap and easy so there's no reason to fiddle.
Old 30 November 2017, 23:13   #39
Marchie

Just realised I should probably say thanks for all the help people!

I'm sure my next thread will be "How to fix CD32 after a botched home recap job?"
Old 14 December 2017, 23:57   #40
Marchie

FYI in case any one cares - finally got a chance to power it up - lo and behold wobbly bad video, followed by no video at all.

Inside: blown caps.

So there ye go...get it fixed it I shall.