English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 14 June 2023, 14:24   #21
eXeler0

Memory could be failing me here but I played Malice some 25 years ago and Im pretty sure it was a ”standalone release” and I seem to have memories of playing it networked with null modem cable beteeen my Amiga (060) and my first PC.
Was Malice ever released as stand alone or was it a Quake mod you had to install manually, I really cant remember.
Old 14 June 2023, 14:30   #22
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Seems like it was a standalone release: https://hol.abime.net/5446 (check the reviews tab)
Old 14 June 2023, 17:28   #23
Karlos
Alien Bleed

No entry for Enforce ?

Sure I realise it wasn't a game and that it wasn't advertised as a quake engine project, but disassembly of early versions shows otherwise
Old 14 June 2023, 23:18   #24
Sani11

Malice was indeed a standalone release, but it was also known as a total conversion mod for Quake. What made Malice unique was that it came with its own CD and packaging, so it felt like a separate game, even though you needed Quake to play it. I remember those null modem cable days too, the good old times of gaming. It's fascinating to see how far we've come since then.
Old 15 June 2023, 02:23   #25
James

One more for the list - LibreQuake, a more recent attempt at a full replacement like OpenQuartz:

https://github.com/MissLav/LibreQuake

Will add an entry to the OP later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlos View Post
No entry for Enforce ?

Sure I realise it wasn't a game and that it wasn't advertised as a quake engine project, but disassembly of early versions shows otherwise
I hadn't heard that before. But the point of this list is to show what can be run on an Amiga Quake engine source port without needing the Quake data files, and Enforce already runs on Amiga anyway. Interesting fact though, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sani11 View Post
What made Malice unique was that it came with its own CD and packaging, so it felt like a separate game, even though you needed Quake to play it.
Which is why Malice and many other "Total Conversions" are not listed here.
If I remember rightly the zombie model is used for one of the enemies dead bodies. If you run Malice under OpenQuartz dead zombie trees pop up when you kill this enemy.
The X-Men TC uses the demon sound effect for Wolverine, using OpenQuartz this becomes "bite me" (could be mishearing this - my hearing is not great).
Old 15 June 2023, 10:28   #26
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

If anyone still has that standalone release of Malice it would be great if they could scan it for HOL
Old 15 June 2023, 11:07   #27
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
I hadn't heard that before. But the point of this list is to show what can be run on an Amiga Quake engine source port without needing the Quake data files, and Enforce already runs on Amiga anyway. Interesting fact though, thanks.
The engine had been modified heavily, to improve performance on 68K and allow hardware rasterisation via Warp3D (at least in a later version). The developers had forgotten to strip symbols and they'd either coincidentally named loads of things (including functions and structures not yet in use in their demo) the exact same name as they are named in Quake, or they'd just obtained the code and used it. I suspect the latter and this goes back to before the source code was GPL'd, i.e. they'd been a bit naughty.
Old 16 June 2023, 14:44   #28
Sani11

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
One more for the list - LibreQuake, a more recent attempt at a full replacement like OpenQuartz:

https://github.com/MissLav/LibreQuake

Will add an entry to the OP later...

Which is why Malice and many other "Total Conversions" are not listed here.
If I remember rightly the zombie model is used for one of the enemies dead bodies. If you run Malice under OpenQuartz dead zombie trees pop up when you kill this enemy.
The X-Men TC uses the demon sound effect for Wolverine, using OpenQuartz this becomes "bite me" (could be mishearing this - my hearing is not great).
As for the Malice and X-Men TC, your insights about their unique features and quirks are quite amusing. Total Conversions often add a new layer of depth to the games, but they require the original Quake files, so they're not suitable for this list.