English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Language > Coders. AMOS

Old 28 December 2015, 19:09   #21
Amiten
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
If you can't make a map editor, you can't make a game either. Everytime I've begun a game project (without advertising it all over the place), I've made a map editor in tandem — because a map editor is basically just the same routines as those used in your game with a different set of input routines (mouse for placing tiles) and a function to save your maps as well as loading them.

The attached editor was used for the above demo. It's very ad-hoc and rough around the edges since it was a throw-away thing for just mocking up a map for this demo. I'll leave it as a coding exercise for the user to make sense out of it.

Well, I've been playing around with the program and this is what I found, congratulations to your code is fine,if you could also make the map walk to the right and left would be great.

Export the source to ascii and Detect is Swedish translate to Spanish I found this

right and left arrow: change the tile image

Up / Down: moves the map

key L: load a file from the RAM: Bana

S Key: Save a file into RAM Bana

Q key: exit the application

Key 1: Delete all
Key 2: grid

Help: menu

I've forgotten something?

If you do not mind I going to try to improve and add features such as left and right movement on the map some icons or interface and then I'll upload it here for you to see.

All the best
Old 29 December 2015, 02:42   #22
idrougge

Use it to your heart's content.
Old 29 December 2015, 15:32   #23
Amiten
Banned

Thanks for dont care I can Reuse your stuff . On another side of this thread I dont see the problem on ask money for what one person think is necesary ask (production,pay artist etc...). Not intent to use this for ask money later for sure I like stuff like that in my humilde world And I ejoy examine the code looking what other write and learn more about. So if you can write the left and right move sure more easy and more quick than me it will be many apreciate.

I found another Map/Tiles stuff for Amiga hipoonios other thread share these days and is great too. So 2016 its a Tile Time for me never use before my self. Thanks for all the help here and others places.

I hope my english is not very bad and whiss all the best to all amiga comunity in the World.

Grettings from Canary Island
Amiten
Old 31 December 2015, 16:23   #24
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudasEZT View Post
I have problems when the screen wide exceeds 600 pixels or less. Bitplanes are displaying graphics from workbench and corrupted stuff.
That's what happens when you scroll past your own bitmap, and into unallocated chip memory junk.
Check that your Screen Offset never passes (size of bitmap - visible screen size).
Old 31 December 2015, 19:10   #25
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

it's what happens when you scroll off the bottom or top, scrolling too far sideways mostly just makes the screen wrap around (it goes up a line for every time you scroll a whole screen to the right, like a screw). However i remember having problems when using negative X offsets, and dual playfield mode in AMOS is next to useless.
Old 01 January 2016, 21:49   #26
JudasEZT

Thanks, idrougge and Mrs Beanbag.
I'll take in mind those memory allocation issues next time I try to fix the routine.

Mrs Beanbag. you are very right about dual playfield mode in Amos.. its a pity is bugged when tying to move offset left or right.. it jumps 16 pixels... not being able to have a smooth horizontal parallax scroll.. =(

I really hope AmosPro re-development may fix that problems. As I said before, I'll make a donative or contribution without a doubt. ( moreover, BlitzBasic doesn't seduces me )
Old 02 January 2016, 21:24   #27
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
About text format: It makes sense in an early development stage when you may be editing maps by hand. Of course it isn't a good idea in the long run.
I would say that even in the long run, text formats are very often an excellent choice.

When activity ramps up on a project a full fledged editor is useful to obtain a good productivity but that does not mean the text format should be thrown to the bin: it can still be used to do quick minor tweaks and prototype small tests which would be unpractical to code into the editor.

Flexible data is always a good idea because code is way more inflexible and harder to modify than raw data. And the only way to always be able to modify data whatever the circumstances is to use text to encode it.

Unity3D offers the possibility to save its data files in YAML (a very nice text based data encoding format) and that "saved my life" (*) several times. My colleagues know how much I wish the Unreal Engine offered the same since they hear me complaining about it about once every week if not more.

(*) not litteraly
Old 02 January 2016, 21:32   #28
Amiten
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudasEZT View Post
Thanks, idrougge and Mrs Beanbag.
I'll take in mind those memory allocation issues next time I try to fix the routine.

Mrs Beanbag. you are very right about dual playfield mode in Amos.. its a pity is bugged when tying to move offset left or right.. it jumps 16 pixels... not being able to have a smooth horizontal parallax scroll.. =(

I really hope AmosPro re-development may fix that problems. As I said before, I'll make a donative or contribution without a doubt. ( moreover, BlitzBasic doesn't seduces me )
Have you try to use the fixed amos library???
Old 02 January 2016, 21:42   #29
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadOnlyCat View Post
I would say that even in the long run, text formats are very often an excellent choice.
It often is, during development at least, but binary formats are a lot smaller and easier to read, so make sense for the release version of Amiga games.

But especially maps, where the data is really very simple and there is nothing wrong even with a straight dump from memory, since it is just an X by Y matrix of bytes or words, which you can even edit in a hex editor if you need to.
Old 03 January 2016, 02:00   #30
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
It often is, during development at least, but binary formats are a lot smaller and easier to read, so make sense for the release version of Amiga games.

But especially maps, where the data is really very simple and there is nothing wrong even with a straight dump from memory, since it is just an X by Y matrix of bytes or words, which you can even edit in a hex editor if you need to.
I often wish there was a way to simply signify that "ReadOnlyCat absolutely agrees" (with your post) without encumbering the forum with another post such as the one you are reading now.
Old 03 January 2016, 06:23   #31
Vot

Quote:
Originally Posted by readonlycat View Post
i often wish there was a way to simply signify that "readonlycat absolutely agrees" (with your post) without encumbering the forum with another post such as the one you are reading now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451798574.506331.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	46803
Old 04 January 2016, 00:00   #32
idrougge

Quote:
Not if your target platform is so slow that parsing text takes a measurable amount of time. You may still keep text as an intermediate format, with some other program handling the final conversion to a more low-level format.
Old 04 January 2016, 01:00   #33
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Whats the most colours on a sprite I can have in Dualplayfield? 7?

Last edited by Retro1234; 04 January 2016 at 01:48.
Old 04 January 2016, 04:40   #34
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post
Whats the most colours on a sprite I can have in Dualplayfield? 7?
16 color sprites.
Old 04 January 2016, 11:50   #35
Retro1234
Phone Homer

I should of tested this first but thats not so bad - 7*8 + 16 colour sprite and rainbow.

Ill have to do some tests I think I had some problems with the patched Amos.library DualPlayfield and some sprite colours being invisible but I might be wrong

forget that gibberish it all seems to be working fine.

Last edited by Retro1234; 04 January 2016 at 16:11. Reason: wrond coulors
Old 04 January 2016, 13:42   #36
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
Not if your target platform is so slow that parsing text takes a measurable amount of time. You may still keep text as an intermediate format, with some other program handling the final conversion to a more low-level format.
"ReadOnlyCat absolutely agrees"
Old 09 January 2016, 13:27   #37
Vot

Quote:
"ReadOnlyCat absolutely agrees"

I still think the cat picture is better
Old 21 January 2016, 14:31   #38
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
it's what happens when you scroll off the bottom or top, scrolling too far sideways mostly just makes the screen wrap around (it goes up a line for every time you scroll a whole screen to the right, like a screw). However i remember having problems when using negative X offsets, and dual playfield mode in AMOS is next to useless.
Wow corkscew described without a essay and diagram Wow.

but hang on dont you need to be a university graduate wow amazing or borring.
Old 22 January 2016, 14:35   #39
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post
Wow corkscew described without a essay and diagram Wow.

but hang on dont you need to be a university graduate wow amazing or borring.
Seriously?
What are you trying to achieve here aside from making clear that you dislike my interventions?

I said before that I am willing to listen to constructive criticism of my behavior but you seem to have nothing to offer but spite.

If my contributions are not useful because they are too long or have diagrams or whatever, please, act like an adult and explain me how I can fix it, everyone will benefit from it.
Old 22 January 2016, 17:48   #40
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Take it easy dude meow meow. Its just the way you went on "Boo Boo" said this and that he didnt give you the corkscrew and hes wrong blah blah im the only one right listen to me etc very patronising - actually Mrs Beanbag told me many years ago about screw affect and ive been using it ever since, obviously alot easier for horizontal scrolling but meow meow.

Now Back to the thread with screw affect added to idrougge code full 8 way............

Last edited by Retro1234; 22 January 2016 at 18:07.