Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > Amiga websites reviews

Old 10 September 2002, 00:21   #21
Jim

hehe - I got the first Guestbook entry

Old 10 September 2002, 01:41   #22
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Speedball 2 review added.
Cheers Jim n Djay for signing the guestbook, it looks a lot better with those entries
@Djay
This site is mainly to learn the basics about website building so Im only adding reviews of BBros games at the minute. Im thinking about adding a "second opinion" addition for the games Ive already done. So if your interested, let me know.
Old 10 September 2002, 01:48   #23
Djay
95th User

is the screen grab of gods from Amiga version?
Old 10 September 2002, 01:49   #24
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

All grabs are from the Amiga versions yes
Old 10 September 2002, 01:51   #25
Djay
95th User

k, didn't reconize the rather stretched enemies

--- i'm writing my Frontier review ---

Old 10 September 2002, 01:54   #26
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

lol, if you look very closely its actually 2 enemies overlapping each other. One is obscured but slightly ahead of the other.
Old 10 September 2002, 12:43   #27
Kodoichi
Banned

Location: I'm the smiling face on your TV, I exploit you still you love me
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim
Don't be so negative. We were negative against Superfrog9's site becuase it was basically shit. It looked horrible, was too gimicky and had crap unfunny content.

I've come to the conclusion that I don't really give a s**t how a site was made. Yes we could sit and call people lamers and laugh at them if it did make us feel better. But things are different to back when I was 13 and it was cool to laugh at a lamer.

Dastardly's content is brief. But this is a start. What is there is good. It's like when you move into a old house. You don't decorate everything in one go - you work on one room at a time.
1. You don't get it. I'm sure that 90% of all the sites done with this EasyCreator look the same...

"Click here to upload your favourite photo."
"Write some nonsense text here."
"Write your e-mail address here."
"List your favourite links here."

2. There are enough webspace providers out there that don't show ads.

3. Some constructive critic:
- Get rid of the ads
- Do something takes makes your site look different from other sites and a Word document.
Old 10 September 2002, 13:13   #28
oldpx

Dastardly, why don't you grab the trial version of macromedia dreamweaver mx from macromedia.com and play with it? It's a WYSIWYG program but you can edit the code directly as well. This is just for better looking and original pages, I don't think everyone should be adept at web design to have a website, after all, goal of the design is to display the content which is the thing that has value.

Edit: I tried this easynightmare now, it's not even easy to use

Old 10 September 2002, 13:24   #29
Jim

Quote:
Originally posted by Kodoichi
"Click here to upload your favourite photo."
His photos are good photos, uploaded photo = uploaded photo however you do it.

Quote:
"Write some nonsense text here."
Not nonsense. These are good reviews.

Quote:
"Write your e-mail address here."
Every webmaster needs a email addy.

Quote:
"List your favourite links here."
Could do with some more links maybe.

Quote:
2. There are enough webspace providers out there that don't show ads.
Why not point Dastardly in the direction of free website providers that don't show ads ?

Quote:
3. Some constructive critic:
- Get rid of the ads
I agree - ads suck.
Quote:
- Do something takes makes your site look different from other sites and a Word document.
Different is nice, but content is better.

Old 10 September 2002, 15:03   #30
sarek2k
E.A.B Addict and Proud

Send a message via MSN to sarek2k
Hey Dastardly,

Version 1.1 is looking better

anyway here i'll give you some ideas on your site not the way it's designed or owt yet but the way your hosting it.

1: Drop that AOL shite it's only 2mb anyway and plasterd with a banner (we don't like banners do we john) AOL is ok for none cut off surfing (i use it too)

2: Host your site on www.brinkster.com it's advert free ok they have file limits but unless your going to put adf's/images on it your ok for now and it's 25 times more space than you have now on AOL

3: If your not happy with the address you get from brinkster then use cjb.net to re-direct it you could probably get www.dastardly.cjb.net

4: also get surfpal this will stop the advert re-direct if you do use cjb.net (point your uses on the site to it too)

5: As an alternative to Macromedia MX i suggest Frontpage 2002 ok ok enough laughing but as jim and others pointed out it's not what it's coded with it's what it looks like in the end and really that is how high can your imagination go

if you want any logo's etc ask here some of us will help as proved by the superfrog.co.uk thread

here is a quick image/logo i did sort of a take on Bitmaps own logo
it's only a rough version and can be customised should u need it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bbdast.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	3527  
Old 10 September 2002, 15:08   #31
Jim

Quote:
Originally posted by sarek2k
3: If your not happy with the address you get from brinkster then use cjb.net to re-direct it you could probably get www.dastardly.cjb.net
A advert-free redirector is www.da.ru, no need to put dodgy code to block popups/banners then. The only thing is a little black bar at the bottom of the browser.

Try this website I've parked - it points to TOSEC at the moment but sometime soon contents will change, and guess what to !

www.completeroms.da.ru

Old 10 September 2002, 15:11   #32
Big-Byte
Long time member

Are you going to do a review of Superfrog? Im sure Jim has got some pictures etc.. going cheap!!
Old 10 September 2002, 16:03   #33
Kodoichi
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim
His photos are good photos, uploaded photo = uploaded photo however you do it.
Not nonsense. These are good reviews.
Every webmaster needs a email addy.
Could do with some more links maybe.
*shakes head*
I was quoting how the program probably works. You get a form where you just write in your text.

Quote:
Why not point Dastardly in the direction of free website providers that don't show ads ?
http://www.freewebspace.net

Quote:
Different is nice, but content is better.
Yeah, but what content? All I see are some reviews that could have been copied & pasted from anywhere else :|
Sorry for being so harsh, but it's the truth.
Old 10 September 2002, 18:26   #34
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Hey Koidichi, Dastardly did say he was starting out. This is Dast's first website. You were a newbie to this stuff too, once. So cut the elitist fuck-talk.
Now Dast, as for the way the background colors match the game, such as a cool, metallic blue for Speedball or earthy tan-gold for Cadaver....KEEP IT UP!! It gives your website personality with minimum input. Less is more, and that's my style.
Old 10 September 2002, 20:55   #35
Mr Creosote
Evil Mastermind

Quote:
Yeah, but what content? All I see are some reviews that could have been copied & pasted from anywhere else :|
Sorry for being so harsh, but it's the truth.
A good review can take up to several hours to write. And the reviews on Dastardly's website are of top class For me, a website doesn't need anything more. And insinuating he has stolen contents is not very fair, don't you think?
Old 10 September 2002, 22:06   #36
Kodoichi
Banned

@ Fred: A person still should make a quality check itself... When I started experimenting around with HTML, I surely didn't put all that crap online. That would be disastrous if everybody would put the their first steps of HTML. The first site I put online was (in my eyes) better than the ones I did before and had a consistent design AND content (it was a Mod-site).

If I find the files of my first steps and my Mod-site I might upload them.

@ Creosote: I absolutely didn't insinuate that. But to set you apart from the rest you have to do something more than just a second AGDB
Old 10 September 2002, 22:54   #37
Jim

Quote:
When I started experimenting around with HTML, I surely didn't put all that crap online. That would be disastrous if everybody would put the their first steps of HTML.
I tend to disagree. As soon as someone put their 1st HTML page online they'd soon be changing it or ditching the idea of creating a website all together. I only wish that many websites I had seen had been posted in a forum inviting criticism. Maybe the creators would have learned some stuff and followed advice. There are so many shit websites out there - they'd be even more if people weren't smart enough to ask for constructive critisicm of their sites.

Speaking of content.....

I've just checked out your website ( http://www.kodoichi.tk/ ). I have to agree, it is neat, professional looking and it is functional. I especially like that little pop-up guestbook thing you have, I'll have to investigate that provider sometime.

I expect this is not your first website

But... there is not much content. I presume you did draw the graphics yourself, I mean they could have been stolen from anywhere That was a joke Kodoichi, so smile before flaming me !

Old 10 September 2002, 23:03   #38
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim
I've just checked out your website. I have to agree, it is neat, professional looking and it is functional.
Old 10 September 2002, 23:31   #39
Mr Creosote
Evil Mastermind

Quote:

@ Creosote: I absolutely didn't insinuate that. But to set you apart from the rest you have to do something more than just a second AGDB [/B]
You absolutely did insinuate this, maybe involuntarily, but that is how the majority of people understands such a remark. And just to make this clear once and for all: this is the worst thing you can throw at a real webmaster is telling him he has probably stolen contents. See Jim's little joke about your site. What would it feel if anyone said that in a serious way about what you've spent a lot of time on?

As to 'setting oneself apart': what tells you this is just a second AGDB? As you can easily see, Dastardly's site has unique contents - reviews and screenshots. In his reviews, he's providing his own view on these games in a detailed way. That already sets it apart from all other sites.
Following your logic, there should be only one website reviewing all computer games, one games magazine and all this would be perfect if it'd be run by just one person. After all, that would cover everything perfectly, wouldn't it?

Conclusion: Comparing your website with Dastardly's, I'd prefer his over yours at any time! For the simple reason that all you care about is design and your site has no contents.
Old 10 September 2002, 23:35   #40
Jim

No comment.

Last edited by Jim; 10 September 2002 at 23:55.