English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 26 April 2022, 13:29   #21
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I think some of these games have also made a sort of resurgence of late. Darkmere for example I have seen pop up in quite a few videos now that the mini is a thing.
Old 24 May 2022, 22:47   #22
ImmortalA1000

F1 by Domark is an often overlooked racing game but it is a lot of fun I discovered the other day.

I used to play F1 Championship Edition on my A1200 so I don't know what that's like on an Amiga 1000 etc.
Old 25 May 2022, 00:58   #23
d4rk3lf

Funny how our perspective is so subjective and limited.

For example, I had a lot's of friend that owned Amiga, and Amiga was very popular in my country, and most popular computer magazine was full of Amigan's journalist, making text's about Amiga games, app and hardware.

Not even once, that I remember, that someone even mentioned Lionheart in the whole 90's.
I discovered it by accident, and when I tried it, I was like: Oh WOW! This is some extremlly polished and hidden jem.
Played it a lot.
I was convinced that it wasn't popular anywhere, and only after I joined this forum, I realized how (wordly) popular it was.
Old 25 May 2022, 04:49   #24
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
Funny how our perspective is so subjective and limited.

For example, I had a lot's of friend that owned Amiga, and Amiga was very popular in my country, and most popular computer magazine was full of Amigan's journalist, making text's about Amiga games, app and hardware.

Not even once, that I remember, that someone even mentioned Lionheart in the whole 90's.
I discovered it by accident, and when I tried it, I was like: Oh WOW! This is some extremlly polished and hidden jem.
Played it a lot.
I was convinced that it wasn't popular anywhere, and only after I joined this forum, I realized how (wordly) popular it was.
I suppose Lionheart is one of those games that maybe borders on being a little fussy for some regards to it's control which is actually rather well done once you ae familiar. Challenge too might have been a little much for some but it's of a time when I think people we're just beginning to wane concerning somewhat challenging games. It's a fair game though I think challenge wise but will requires you are familiar with the controls and feel which is why I guess some people didn't take to it

It's definitely a vey polished game on all fonts though and deserves mention as a gem
Old 25 May 2022, 04:56   #25
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalA1000 View Post
F1 by Domark is an often overlooked racing game but it is a lot of fun I discovered the other day.

I used to play F1 Championship Edition on my A1200 so I don't know what that's like on an Amiga 1000 etc.
Yeah I like it too as it feels different to Vroom in that more conventional turning way like most games have ie the motion doesn't jolt when you're breaking in a turn. I like both but F1 wasn't just the clone most people seem to have it down as. I find these games a lot of fun still even though I enjoy diving around in Forza Horizon 5
Old 25 May 2022, 12:08   #26
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Youtube randomly pointed me to Castle Kingdoms yesterday, a game I had never heard of myself. That looks like its fun:

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 25 May 2022, 13:02   #27
Torti-the-Smurf

PP Hammer
Old 25 May 2022, 13:39   #28
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
That looks like its fun:
Indeed it looks very interesting.
I wonder if that engine could be used for some sort of Diablo clone.
Old 25 May 2022, 16:31   #29
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Castle Kingdoms would be fun without constantly respawning enemies.
Old 26 May 2022, 00:50   #30
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

Ghost Battle? [ Show youtube player ]
Old 27 May 2022, 11:23   #31
ImmortalA1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adropac2 View Post
Yeah I like it too as it feels different to Vroom in that more conventional turning way like most games have ie the motion doesn't jolt when you're breaking in a turn. I like both but F1 wasn't just the clone most people seem to have it down as. I find these games a lot of fun still even though I enjoy diving around in Forza Horizon 5
A true gaming connoisseur like me

There is something different, it's like the difference between driving a car with terrible steering vs amazing steering, I will try and explain how it feels to me. When the steering wheel auto-centres in F1 it is sort of adding in the tiny corrections a good driver would do in a car with good steering via the feedback of a real steering wheel, in Vroom it's more like somebody on their first driving lesson.

My F1 Championship Edition original disk would not load when I had the CDTV set up (CDTV floppy is duff, my own external drive at the time was a so-so condition mechanism). It might be like Lotus II vs Lotus III though, where to get the response times/frame updates of the prequel it needs to be run on an A1200....which is the only way I played F1 Championship Edition as I had sold my A1000 by then.
Old 27 May 2022, 11:27   #32
ImmortalA1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Youtube randomly pointed me to Castle Kingdoms yesterday, a game I had never heard of myself. That looks like its fun:

[ Show youtube player ]
We're in the Matrix!

I watched exactly the same game the other day, except in my case I saw some clueless channel talking about very late in the commercial life of Amiga games and noticed a certain game I remember surely was after Commodore had been sold off in 95. I just had to first google video search 'Amiga isometric dungeon' to remember the actual name of the game.

Another reason to get that Gotek into the trashed external FDD I have so I can write out some decent ADFs via X-Copy.