English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 02 April 2015, 21:54   #21
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
I think it should have Kipper2k Logo

USB Ports, better cooling and maybe some option to mount other drive/s like Gotek.

Think of it like a modders case.
Old 02 April 2015, 22:18   #22
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
I think it should have Kipper2k Logo

USB Ports, better cooling and maybe some option to mount other drive/s like Gotek.

Think of it like a modders case.
haha, the purists would have a field day. i'll make some basic inquiries on an approx cost for an "official" looking case so as to get a baseline cost. With todays technologies there is no need for the huge 1.5ton molds anymore like the molds that are being used to recreate the commodore 64 cases (Am i allowed to say "Commodore" any more !) , a 3D image and a CNC can make an injection moldd pretty fast (and a lot cheaper)

One question for anyone/everyone to answer... how many cases do you think would sell if made ? pick a number and post it

Last edited by kipper2k; 02 April 2015 at 22:36.
Old 02 April 2015, 22:19   #23
eXeler0

More room between the keyboard and the trapdoor cards would be nice so that Apollo cards or future FPGA accelerator cards could get some proper cooling. ;-)

Also, some extra room for a slim CD drive would be a nice addition.

Not wanna promise stuff now, because time is rare commodity atm, but I could do a photogrametric 3d model to scale, both with top cover on and off.
Old 02 April 2015, 22:30   #24
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
More room between the keyboard and the trapdoor cards would be nice so that Apollo cards or future FPGA accelerator cards could get some proper cooling. ;-)

Also, some extra room for a slim CD drive would be a nice addition.

Not wanna promise stuff now, because time is rare commodity atm, but I could do a photogrametric 3d model to scale, both with top cover on and off.
if you have the chance to do the scan that would be much appreciated, for major changes to design it would need someone who can do design (and be willing) with a bounty obviously and as i mentioned before, a new case would be incomplete without new keys, as far as i know there are 2 different types of fastening arrangements for keys to the keyboards, and also multiple languages
Old 02 April 2015, 22:42   #25
tassel
Tassel / LaBaN

What about designing a new case with outlets for hdmi and usb?
Finding a way to use modern keyboards and build into the A1200 cases will make it easier to lower costs?

Anyway, I will definitely buy a few cases if they are going to be made.

Edit: Gotek outlet had also been great.
Old 02 April 2015, 23:56   #26
spudje

Don't wet our appetite too much, might lead to disappointment :P

Connections I would like to see are indeed HDMI (or DVI), USB and a CF slot.

Rumours are also starting that Amiga Inc. is in some trouble, so you never know, if rights end up at a more friendly party, it may cay the Amiga logo

And of course I will buy at least 1. When multiple colors are available I might be tempted to order more.
Old 03 April 2015, 00:22   #27
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudje View Post
Don't wet our appetite too much, might lead to disappointment :P

Connections I would like to see are indeed HDMI (or DVI), USB and a CF slot.

Rumours are also starting that Amiga Inc. is in some trouble, so you never know, if rights end up at a more friendly party, it may cay the Amiga logo

And of course I will buy at least 1. When multiple colors are available I might be tempted to order more.
no promises, i will at least go through the cost inquiry portion of this and try a couple of vendors, UK/China and mabbe even N. America but i think we all know where the best prices will come from

for the gotek, the board could be easily removed from its case and mounted internally and a usb port imprinted into the case. A HDMI cutout could easily be fitted either on one side or the rear (taking the place of the RF module) or located where the removable plate is.

for the case finish, i think a granular look and not gloss, as gloss will scratch very easily

Last edited by kipper2k; 03 April 2015 at 00:28.
Old 03 April 2015, 00:55   #28
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
no promises, i will at least go through the cost inquiry portion of this and try a couple of vendors, UK/China and mabbe even N. America but i think we all know where the best prices will come from

for the gotek, the board could be easily removed from its case and mounted internally and a usb port imprinted into the case. A HDMI cutout could easily be fitted either on one side or the rear (taking the place of the RF module) or located where the removable plate is.

for the case finish, i think a granular look and not gloss, as gloss will scratch very easily
If you can get a new case design then try to accomodate fpga boards like apollo etc.

Something along the lines of the Amiga fantasy case works for me barring any impractical design constraints.
I'm in for at least one if you can pull this off.

How many can be sold? Surely 100 in Amigaland but if there was a minimum manufacture volume some may buy two.
If you can distribute/sell it beyond the confines of Amigaland then who knows.

However, having the design on file means that more cases could be made in the future if there was demand, for example fpga arcade and a maybe standalone Apollo board.
Old 03 April 2015, 07:38   #29
Hewitson

I'd rather see the keyboards reproduced, new cases would be great though. I'd be surprised if you didn't sell 2 or 3 hundred of them, but they MUST have the Amiga logo whether it's legal or not.
Old 03 April 2015, 09:28   #30
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

A recessed slot on the case? Then a separate Amiga logo injection molded or otherwise.
Someone else other than kipper 2k then sells the logo sepatately.

That might work legally. Otherwise comoddore holdings have kippers for breakfast.
Old 03 April 2015, 10:15   #31
flype

Happy

I love the idea kipper2k

If quality is very good, count me in for 1 in original color and maybe 1 more in dark or translucent.

I'm sure you can sell maybe more than 1000.

You can first focus on a classic case with maybe some options, with minimal impact on the global design of the classic case ; which is good as it is (in my opinion).

There are yet some good ideas here, i'd love to have clean and well designed new holes for CF, HDMI/DVI for sure. A new LED activity for PCMCIA disk activity is also great idea.

Go for it kipper2k

After that, because i think there is a market for both classic and modernized cases, if project is successful, maybe talented 3d designers, in partnership with you kipper2k, can dream on some innovative designed cases like this one i saw long time ago :

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1971

Last edited by flype; 03 April 2015 at 10:21.
Old 03 April 2015, 10:44   #32
Riempie
Amiga freak

Definitely interested (1 or 2). It would be nice indeed to have holes for the DVI cables of the Indivision MK1/2 and usb holes for the rapidroad usb card.

But I guess you can not please everyone, a basic case (with new keys) would be nice already.
Old 03 April 2015, 11:21   #33
Hewitson

Sorry but I think the above case looks terrible.
Old 03 April 2015, 12:11   #34
voyager_1701e

I think the above case looks awesome!

There is the problem...cant ever please everyone
Old 03 April 2015, 13:03   #35
spudje

An idea that comes to mind. To increase sale potential, you may consider the case to support A1200 internals and maybe a Raspberry Pi as well or some other more mainstream platform...? Not at the same time of course, but to offer choice to the buyer to build in one or the other. No Amiga branding (and only a placeholder) would make even more sense then.
Old 03 April 2015, 15:01   #36
Steve T

Modularity might help it to meet different requirements, like a separate back panel which can be swapped out & customised - as simple to replace as finding a new piece of plastic or aluminium. Maybe other areas which can be hacked and modded without ruining the whole case, so for example making a new connector plate for a Pi or Amiga with DVI, or HDMI, or completely different model of Amiga. In the ideal world this might be a case for all Amiga's.

The keyboard issue, reproducing the look and feel of a genuine keyboard would be trickier than the casing.
Old 03 April 2015, 16:54   #37
eXeler0

SteveT, modularity is always a nice approach but getting it right AND flexible will require a lot of thought and work.
This project should be done as a kickstarter, but even before we get to that, there are a lot of ideas that need to be sorted out. Like with any other design ever made, there will be compromises and not everyone will get their wishes granted.
I believe the basic idea should revolve around a design that is easily recognizable as an A1200 while giving more room for various expansions and ports.
Laws of physics dictate this case will be bigger than the current A1200 but a couple variations of the top should be enough for most people.
Say.. one slight redesign with a little more space for expansions, new keyboard and new ports (hdmi, dvi, usb etc)..
And a second design that would also fit stuff like a FPGA Arcade motherboard or similar..
Maybe such a project could spin off in further directions where its not designed to hold the original A1200 motherboard at all... then it could have "modules'" for Raspberry Pi, FPGA arcade, Minimig, Mist, Chameleon or other future mystery FPGA projects.
Old 03 April 2015, 17:05   #38
kipper2k

for the "Amiga" logo, i think Cloanto own the Amiga name so i think before an actual model is published i would ask their permission to use the Amiga logo. This would prevent the problem the C64 kickstarter had with having to remove a copyrighted name.

an extra thought,

for the Gotek, it would be reasonably easy (i think) to create something inside the case so that an original drive and a Gotek co exist with a little bridgeboard circuit that could toggle DF0 and Df1 which would now be inside the case. This would make it ideal to make real floppies and vice versa

Last edited by kipper2k; 03 April 2015 at 17:40.
Old 03 April 2015, 17:45   #39
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

I'm 100% behind this idea if its feasible.
Old 03 April 2015, 18:01   #40
Steve T

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
SteveT, modularity is always a nice approach but getting it right AND flexible will require a lot of thought and work.
This project should be done as a kickstarter, but even before we get to that, there are a lot of ideas that need to be sorted out. Like with any other design ever made, there will be compromises and not everyone will get their wishes granted.
I believe the basic idea should revolve around a design that is easily recognizable as an A1200 while giving more room for various expansions and ports.
Laws of physics dictate this case will be bigger than the current A1200 but a couple variations of the top should be enough for most people.
Say.. one slight redesign with a little more space for expansions, new keyboard and new ports (hdmi, dvi, usb etc)..
And a second design that would also fit stuff like a FPGA Arcade motherboard or similar..
Maybe such a project could spin off in further directions where its not designed to hold the original A1200 motherboard at all... then it could have "modules'" for Raspberry Pi, FPGA arcade, Minimig, Mist, Chameleon or other future mystery FPGA projects.
Maybe it would be bulked out a little at the rear - perhaps to allow an extra 'deck' of connectors for expansions and more headroom. It might make sense in this regard to lose the step down to the grille completely.

How about mounting for internal optical drive? cooling fan - 120mm can be pretty quiet, but eats up space.

Since amiga floppy's are no longer manufactured, and goteks don't fit a normal casing without modding, perhaps the floppy support would be a pc standard? perhaps an insert piece could be optional to make a standard amiga drive fit with no gaps or issues.