English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 27 September 2010, 14:09   #21
Cloudane

I've never had a problem with using an air line so far. Much cheaper than buying the cans if you already have one around. You wouldn't use either of them on things like camera sensors as you wouldn't want even the tiniest molecule of moisture, oil or propellant landing on it, but AFAIK anything that is in most forms of compressed air shouldn't be enough to do any damage to normal everyday electronics.

As for IPA, I get mine from CPC.co.uk for next to nothing. They do delivery.. I'm not sure if they actually deliver IPA (transportation of potentially hazardous substances? Might depend on their courier), I always go down in person, but I find it a great place to stock up on things like IPA, compressed air cans, tools, cleaning cloths etc. You need to open an account, but don't need to be a trader to do so.
Old 27 September 2010, 23:53   #22
Allen1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudane View Post
As for IPA, I get mine from CPC.co.uk for next to nothing. They do delivery.. I'm not sure if they actually deliver IPA (transportation of potentially hazardous substances? Might depend on their courier), I always go down in person, but I find it a great place to stock up on things like IPA, compressed air cans, tools, cleaning cloths etc. You need to open an account, but don't need to be a trader to do so.
That's good news, my neighbour and friend has an account there and often gets various deliveries and has just said if I ever want anything, just ask saves the need for me to join another place

A litre of IPA for under £11 is a sound investment for anyone tinkering with circuit boards and soldering.
Old 28 September 2010, 00:11   #23
Peter
Still an Amiga user

I got the A1200 MB cleaned today and I have to say the Diluted Car Screen Wash is great - the board has come up a treat... silly thing I didn't take a before and after picture which I'm annoyed about as there is a startling difference... here is a picture of the board cleaned.

Off Topic - I used Wet&Dry on the Lower Tin Shield as it did have a few small rust spots - this has worked well.

Thanks everyone for taking an interest here.... (cheers Z for the great tip!!)

Last edited by Peter; 28 September 2010 at 09:40.
Old 28 September 2010, 12:55   #24
8bitbubsy

Looking clean!
Old 28 September 2010, 13:59   #25
Allen1

Nice and clean M8, it looks brand new
Old 22 August 2014, 12:10   #26
Xtal

For some of the recent flux'es developed, Isopropylalcohol (IPA) doesn't work. For this, I use CAS 64742-49-0 (here in sweden it's called chemical clean petrol, "Kemiskt ren bensin"), but it's a easier way to use the CAS ID so you can translate it to your local trade name).

For those using expensive combos for a small amount of cleaner to clean up thermal compounds, this also works flawlessly. In a controlled environment, it's a excelent washing fluid for PCBs, and most covering laquers is unaffected. But as usual, try with a cotton tip on a piece of PCB you're cleaning to make sure. And don't even think of using Acetone.
Old 22 August 2014, 14:02   #27
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
yes alcohol is the best way. When i buy a jamma board, full of dust and greasy crap, i use a brush first to remove as much dirt as possible, and then i use alcohol. The result is that i get a brand new looking like PCB board