English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 20 January 2021, 15:25   #21
kremiso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
Personally I think any game remake can be worthwhile if it does something a bit different with the original game. What I don't get is remakes that are totally faithful to the original - I remember an Apidya one a while back that was exactly (and I mean exactly) the same as the Amiga version. I mean, what's the point when you can just play the original game on the emulator?
Quote:
Originally Posted by laffer View Post
A remake of Lost Patrol would be GREAT! That game had so much potential but due to Ocean rushing it, it's nothing more than a shell of what it should have been.
necropost, just because completely agree with both
darn, fixing the mechanic and developing/improving a little more all the various phases of the game, would lead to a true masterpiece imo
Old 20 January 2021, 16:40   #22
dreadnought

Lost Patrol is an interesting one. It was one of the games seeing which made me need (not want) an Amiga, but, yeah...when I actually got to play it my reaction was rather mixed. I was obsessed with Vietnam war then and it oozed atmosphere, but the minigames were fairly weak.

Not sure how fixable it is, perhaps get rid of the action bits and concentrate purely on strategy/survival aspect?
Old 20 January 2021, 17:45   #23
mcgeezer

Sometimes you just want to remake a game for the pure of purpose of finding out if you can do it, and that's all there is to it. The fact that the game might be great to see on a particular platform is a side effect of the person developing it.
Old 20 January 2021, 18:47   #24
nobody

Myth

Ranarama

Old 20 January 2021, 19:36   #25
kremiso

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
Lost Patrol is an interesting one...

Not sure how fixable it is, perhaps get rid of the action bits and concentrate purely on strategy/survival aspect?
That would be indeed an interesting approach, well ORIGINAL for sure
i think not too distant from the main developer idea, a survival game in first

now i'm wondering how the early release (censored from Ocean) was, if different in some way...

in reality i think that at least the sniper action sequence was ok, and well, the scout vietcong-fight one could be improved a lot, as the others (mine-field, vietcong-platoon etc)
an action sequence when your scout enter in the bunkers/underground tunnels would be great too
personal opinion, of course

just such a shame seeing that raw diamond forgotten
Old 20 January 2021, 20:13   #26
Cherno

I could see Lost Patrol being remade as sort of interactive novel with a focus on character interactions, evens and choices.
Old 20 January 2021, 20:46   #27
Havie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody View Post
Myth

Ranarama

Played and finished Rana Rama on both Speccy and ST so would love an updated remake especially for the Miggy.
Old 21 January 2021, 09:28   #28
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
Sometimes you just want to remake a game for the pure of purpose of finding out if you can do it, and that's all there is to it. The fact that the game might be great to see on a particular platform is a side effect of the person developing it.
True, but people also like to see their favorite games on their favorite platform. Just look at all the "Can the Amiga do it" threads.

But I can relate to the "for the fun of it / see if you can do it" argument. I like to hobby with making games but I am merely a programmer; I can't do art, I can't do music and I wouldn't even know where to begin with game sound design. So my best bet is to take what already exists and try to make it my own - why not my favorite games from my youth then.

You might say: why not create new levels then? Well... making levels is a skill in itself too and I'm a programmer, not a game designer... I can build the tool to make levels but I just can't bring up the patience to do a whole set of levels, I usually tap out at a handful. Remaking existing levels is far easier and quicker, especially if you figure out a way to automate it.