English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 16 March 2015, 00:44   #21
lesta_smsc

Bump...
Old 16 March 2015, 04:01   #22
Zippy Zapp

Your board is different for sure. I wonder why those instructions say to solder bridge Den2 while my revision has a jumper wire from Pin 2 to wire on pin 34? What does Den2 do, I wonder? Looks like it goes to the same pin on both boards, of the IC. That would sure be easier then the pain getting the jumper wire to stick to the trace.

I manage to finish mine and it did indeed work but it was a pain. I ended up lifting the trace on pin 34, lol but it stayed connected to the rest of the trace I managed to solder the wire to it and I will get some hot glue to make sure it doesnt move. uggh.

I powered up and it started the old click click. Put in Xcopy and it booted to the Workbench. have not tried a trackloader or formatting yet but it seems to read all the disks i put in it.
Old 16 March 2015, 14:28   #23
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy Zapp View Post
Your board is different for sure. I wonder why those instructions say to solder bridge Den2 while my revision has a jumper wire from Pin 2 to wire on pin 34? What does Den2 do, I wonder? Looks like it goes to the same pin on both boards, of the IC. That would sure be easier then the pain getting the jumper wire to stick to the trace.

I manage to finish mine and it did indeed work but it was a pain. I ended up lifting the trace on pin 34, lol but it stayed connected to the rest of the trace I managed to solder the wire to it and I will get some hot glue to make sure it doesnt move. uggh.

I powered up and it started the old click click. Put in Xcopy and it booted to the Workbench. have not tried a trackloader or formatting yet but it seems to read all the disks i put in it.
My does the clicking... It just won't recognise the disks once inserted! Tried cleaning the head in case that was the issue... no idea why mine won't work yet unfortunately lol
Old 16 March 2015, 15:10   #24
Zippy Zapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
My does the clicking... It just won't recognise the disks once inserted! Tried cleaning the head in case that was the issue... no idea why mine won't work yet unfortunately lol
Sorry if this is a dumb question but was it working fine as a PC drive and how long ago?

I have an epson external that I picked up with an A500 and it would click but not read disks. I took it apart and cleaned it with no joy. I was going to put this converted drive in the case it came in but the stupid power connector is part of the PCB and obviously made only to fit that models unusual power plug location. Anyway I tried moving the heads on the rail manually and putting some lubricant on it and I plugged it in and it started reading disks again! lol. hasn't worked in years.

Could it be the drive itself?
Old 16 March 2015, 15:13   #25
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Sorry if this is a dumb question but was it working fine as a PC drive and how long ago?

I have an epson external that I picked up with an A500 and it would click but not read disks. I took it apart and cleaned it with no joy. I was going to put this converted drive in the case it came in but the stupid power connector is part of the PCB and obviously made only to fit that models unusual power plug location. Anyway I tried moving the heads on the rail manually and putting some lubricant on it and I plugged it in and it started reading disks again! lol. hasn't worked in years.

Could it be the drive itself?
Good question. It worked when I last removed it from the PC. It was virtually brand new... I'll try lubricant and see... how did you move as it is stuck to the motor!
Old 16 March 2015, 16:12   #26
Zippy Zapp

Quote:
Good question. It worked when I last removed it from the PC. It was virtually brand new... I'll try lubricant and see... how did you move as it is stuck to the motor!
I Just physically slid the head on the rail. Maybe on some drives you cannot do that but this one moved easily. For lubricant I used vaseline, as mentioned in another thread.
Old 16 March 2015, 16:34   #27
lesta_smsc

Quote:
For lubricant I used vaseline, as mentioned in another thread.
Are we still talking about the floppy lol... sorry couldn't resist!
Old 16 March 2015, 16:36   #28
Zippy Zapp

Lol.
Old 17 March 2015, 07:10   #29
Jope
-

Quote:
The head's capability to read has nothing to do with disk detection. There's a switch near the write protect switch that does this. There is also a pin reserved for it on the data connector.

It could be the switch itself, it could be the drive, it could be your cable and it could also be the CIA chip that handles disk changes.
Old 17 March 2015, 08:49   #30
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
The head's capability to read has nothing to do with disk detection. There's a switch near the write protect switch that does this. There is also a pin reserved for it on the data connector.

It could be the switch itself, it could be the drive, it could be your cable and it could also be the CIA chip that handles disk changes.
The original A500 floppy disk drive appears to work okay with the same cables...

I suspect it is the wiring... but the Pin 2 is what is bothering me as it is not connected to anything and pin 12 of IC does not have a cut trace which is what the guide mentioned but not shown on the picture of the MSX mod.

Last edited by lesta_smsc; 17 March 2015 at 14:44.
Old 19 March 2015, 00:42   #31
Zippy Zapp

When you put the solder jumper on Den2 then arent you re-routing the pin to a different pin on the IC? That would seem to take the place of putting a jumper from pin 2 to wherever it needs to go on other drives.
Old 19 March 2015, 02:26   #32
lesta_smsc

I'm not sure ... wondering whether to try the other mod as it is for the same model but different motherboard.
Old 19 March 2015, 02:36   #33
Zippy Zapp

That mod was for a different PCB though so I don't think it would work as components are not in the same place and not even in the same orientation. I suppose if you new which pin on the IC needed to go to pin 34 then that might work.

I just pulled another drive out of a recycle PC and found another Mitsumi D359M3D drive. This one looks different from the one I modded and I can't easily get to the PCB without disassembling the whole stupid drive. The front bezel was connected to the top cover. Weird my other drive was a simple two screws and the cover slid off to reveal the PCB. Same model, many variations. That seems to be the norm with floppy drives.
Old 19 March 2015, 22:20   #34
lesta_smsc

Quote:
That mod was for a different PCB though so I don't think it would work as components are not in the same place and not even in the same orientation. I suppose if you new which pin on the IC needed to go to pin 34 then that might work.

I just pulled another drive out of a recycle PC and found another Mitsumi D359M3D drive. This one looks different from the one I modded and I can't easily get to the PCB without disassembling the whole stupid drive. The front bezel was connected to the top cover. Weird my other drive was a simple two screws and the cover slid off to reveal the PCB. Same model, many variations. That seems to be the norm with floppy drives.
This is like the one I have most certainly! You have to take it apart completely just to get to motherboard. Can you do me a favour and take a picture of where the eject spring goes?!
Old 23 March 2015, 17:33   #35
Zippy Zapp

Hi Sorry for late reply, have been battling the blasted flu. Did you figure this out or do i need to take a picture?
Old 24 March 2015, 01:36   #36
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Hi Sorry for late reply, have been battling the blasted flu. Did you figure this out or do i need to take a picture?
Please take picture.

Still cannot get drive to read!
Old 02 April 2015, 14:35   #37
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Bump...
Old 19 April 2015, 12:30   #38
lesta_smsc

Quote:
You still there? Lol
Old 19 April 2015, 19:15   #39
Zippy Zapp

Oh, Man. Sorry! After being sick for what seems like forever, I lost track of this thread. I'll slide the face off today and post a pic of the inside.
Old 19 April 2015, 22:24   #40
Zippy Zapp

Here is what I could get pics of. I had one screw that I couldn't remove. It was covered in Loctite or thread lock. Weird head too, i didnt have a match. This drive is funky and it looks like if it is not put back together just right it might throw the alignment off. Weird drive.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0162.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	217.9 KB
ID:	44028 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0163.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	297.8 KB
ID:	44029