English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.WHDLoad

Old 23 April 2008, 23:53   #21
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironclaw View Post
Whdload doesn't give speed increase, only loading speed increase.
try something like Stunt Car Racer, where the speed increase is allowed to be pushed into extra smoothness, and you will find you are wrong
Old 23 April 2008, 23:56   #22
Ironclaw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Horace View Post
try something like Stunt Car Racer, where the speed increase is allowed to be pushed into extra smoothness, and you will find you are wrong
So SCR gives fps increase with whdload compared to using floppy?. Well, rare I think and maybe only that game + a very few others that get a speed increase from whdload, or maybe the speed increase you are talking about is a mere 1-5fps, that's nothing then . I can play SCR smooth/faster with some changes in WinUAE instead and using floppy .
Old 23 April 2008, 23:57   #23
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
WHDLoad is good for people who want to play games from harddrive to run faster, I mainly play adventure games and put them in RAD instead for equal fast loading speed with the bonus of using savestates aswell.
WHDLoad offers much more than faster loading times. It makes older games compatible on all Amiga machines, you have selectable cheats, highscore saver, second button support etc.
Old 23 April 2008, 23:59   #24
Ironclaw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
WHDLoad offers much more than faster loading times. It makes older games compatible on all Amiga machines, you have selectable cheats, highscore saver etc.
I know, and some games have bugs fixes that aren't fixed in floppy versions. but as I use WinUAE, Amiga machine compability is no problem for me , I just select the machine I want so all games works .
Old 24 April 2008, 00:02   #25
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

There are too much AGA/OCS chipset bugs (or not implemented features) left, so i prefer my real A1200 for gaming and WinUAE for tranfering and testing stuff.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 24 April 2008 at 00:13.
Old 24 April 2008, 00:13   #26
Ironclaw
Banned

Quote:
There are too much AGA/OCS chipset bugs left, so i prefer my real A1200 for gaming and WinUAE for tranfering and testing stuff.
I can't find any bugs in the games I play , not even if I tried, only a small handfull of games have these bugs that it doesn't make up for it to use the real thing.

So, you rather use the real thing without savestates, all systems built-in, faster loading times, more harddrive space and memory than you could ever need for an amiga, audio/video recorder, 4 floppy drives etc etc etc-................................. than WinUAE that has everything, BUT could if you tried really really hard have some AGA/OCS bugs in very very few games????

Or maybe your are unlucky that those few games that has some bugs are the ONLY ones you like to play? .
Old 24 April 2008, 00:15   #27
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
So SCR gives fps increase with whdload compared to using floppy?. Well, rare I think and maybe only that game + a very few others that get a speed increase from whdload, or maybe the speed increase you are talking about is a mere 1-5fps, that's nothing then . I can play SCR smooth/faster with some changes in WinUAE instead and using floppy .
i'd love to know what Codetapper and Galahad would make of your 'made up' figures, since you are trying to claim it is pointless, even though i doubt you have tried it.

you will find you get it far smoother with their excellent patches AND the use of the extra speed options offered by WinUAE, and you will by adamantly sticking to the disk version.

"some games" have bugfixes IC? lol... i'd like to see any that didnt have some kind of fixing - even if you cant see it.

p.s. - the savestate arguement is BS, since you can save-state a whdload game in RAD: too if you want.
Old 24 April 2008, 00:21   #28
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

I would find more than a handful bugs for sure (no matter if OCS/AGA games), but i'm too lazy to check them all.

But of course i enjoy WinUAE to bits too, no doubt. Amiga emulation isn't trivial, compared to C64 or Mega Drive emulators. Toni did a brilliant job so far.
Old 24 April 2008, 00:23   #29
Ironclaw
Banned

Quote:
i'd love to know what Codetapper and Galahad would make of your 'made up' figures, since you are trying to claim it is pointless, even though i doubt you have tried it.
I havn't said WHDLoad is pointless, it's ´very good for real Amigas.
Quote:
you will find you get it far smoother with their excellent patches AND the use of the extra speed options offered by WinUAE, and you will by adamantly sticking to the disk version.
I said I didn't know how much speed increase the games get, so I just figured it could be like 1-5fps or something, NOT saying IT IS. And if WHDLoad isn't used with WinUAE, those "extra" speed options are not an option (winuae ftw!).
Quote:
"some games" have bugfixes IC? lol... i'd like to see any that didnt have some kind of fixing - even if you cant see it.
Well, I phrased that wrong then I guess, by "some games" getting bugfixes I mean bugs making the game NOT run, or crash sometimes, or give graphical errors.. I don't mean fixes in general like trainers, speed tweaks etc.

Quote:
p.s. - the savestate arguement is BS, since you can save-state a whdload game in RAD: too if you want.
Yup, I know, but not on a real amiga .
Old 24 April 2008, 00:29   #30
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

i'm not gonna bother. you're not reading it right, and seem to be getting a few things clearly wrong - just for starters, I was talking about using WHDLoad on anything, winuae included, rather than your adamant 'disk' approach. and it was the SCR patch you called pointless that i was responding to.
Old 24 April 2008, 00:29   #31
Ironclaw
Banned

Quote:
i'm not gonna bother. you're not reading it right, and seem to be getting a few things clearly wrong
Quote:
and it was the SCR patch you called pointless that i was responding to.
Again, I didn't call ANYTHING pointless. Who's the one not reading it right? .

-------------------------------
Come on, more posts please!

Bring it on bitches!

I love these arguments .
Old 24 April 2008, 00:33   #32
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
Again, I didn't call ANYTHING pointless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironclaw
I can play SCR smooth/faster with some changes in WinUAE instead and using floppy
same difference.
Old 24 April 2008, 00:38   #33
Ironclaw
Banned

Quote:
I can play SCR smooth/faster with some changes in WinUAE instead and using floppy
By that I of course meant using whdload for more speed is not necessary when you can set any speed you want in winuae. That doesn't make whdload pointless, it's good for real amigas.
Old 24 April 2008, 00:40   #34
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

you can have some replies when you've gone back and read my posts correctly.
Old 24 April 2008, 00:43   #35
Ironclaw
Banned

Quote:
you can have some replies when you've gone back and read my posts correctly.
I wouldn't understand them more if I read them more times.
Old 24 April 2008, 08:02   #36
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
There are too much AGA/OCS chipset bugs (or not implemented features) left, so i prefer my real A1200 for gaming and WinUAE for tranfering and testing stuff.
Show me one bug or non-implemented feature.

I thought so...
Old 24 April 2008, 08:47   #37
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Toni, you've been shown such bugs already, with examples to replicate the problem, and have not bothered to fix them, eg. the audio bug. Is it any wonder that others are not going to bother to be specific about the bugs?

Re. unimplemented features, the Caps Lock light is not even supported properly.
Old 24 April 2008, 08:57   #38
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
Toni, you've been shown such bugs already, with examples to replicate the problem, and have not bothered to fix them, eg. the audio bug. Is it any wonder that others are not going to bother to be specific about the bugs?

Re. unimplemented features, the Caps Lock light is not even supported properly.
I ignore "bug reports" that include attitude problems. (=just do not bother to report anything anymore, thanks, I either ignore it or reply something annoying. Check your posting history here and other Amiga forums.)

Before this gets too out of topic, edit number 2:

- audio problem you "reported" has already been fixed. Or there is another one left somewhere.
- controlling keyboard leds is not officially supported and depends on too many variables. (keyboard type, windows version etc..) and it conflicts badly when user needs to press caps lock key and led needs to be toggled programmatically. (not necessarily simulataneously) Not worth the trouble.

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 24 April 2008 at 09:19.
Old 24 April 2008, 10:25   #39
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Quote:
ignore "bug reports" that include attitude problems.
This seems a silly basis on which to make technical decisions. It shouldn't matter if it was Mehdi Ali himself that reported it. IIRC my original bug report was quite unemotional and was based on technical issues, I even went to the trouble of writing for you a new program specifically to demonstrate and isolate the issue. Your annoyance at me seems to stem from my annoyance at you that you confirm and then deny the existence of such bugs. (I don't actually care whether you fix it or not, the new version wouldn't run on my setup anyway.) But the point is that you are now claiming that there are no bugs when clearly there are.

Quote:
audio problem you "reported" has already been fixed. Or there is another one left somewhere.
No, I just retested and the bug is still there.

Quote:
controlling keyboard leds is not officially supported
This is odd, Word and Excel both do this and they are Microsoft products.
Old 24 April 2008, 10:56   #40
Marcuz

this thread is completely OT since post 12...