English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 17 July 2006, 07:20   #21
keropi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_ Kal
>>>Duke Nukem is one that is a pain, and many games from 1996 onwards can be slow no matter what.

That's because DosBox emulates a 486 DX. (You couldn't run Duke Nukem on a 486 I think). But you can run these games using a Win98/WinMe Partition or Microsoft Virtual PC 2004. With Virtual PC you can have multiple machines running at the same time. I even use it for AROS.
not true. I played DN3D on my 486/66 when it was out, and at full framerate on an onbard CL5428... the problem is the engine it is using, the BUILT engine... it is so strange , full of hacks etc that is difficult to be handled, that's why there aren't many DN3D ports available...
also QUAKE run on a 486DX too , and has FULL framerate (vesa 320X240 ofcourse... lol) on a 486/100 and upwards...

also, DOOMSDAY rocks, makes DOOM a whole new game... especially with the MD2 models...
Old 05 August 2006, 21:02   #22
mtb

Quote:
so after all that now i have in my front room (in a small media case) a TRUE DOS box (under 98se) with 1.4Ghz CPU and 512MB ram, 64MB GFX and AC97 sound all through my big TV!!!!! MMMmmMMM
Imho quite trashed for a dos box, unless you have a lot of $$$$ , in fact it's a windows box...

I have recently received a quite old p3 450 with 192 mb of ram, i have installed an sb16 on the only isa slot, and installed freedos on a secondary very very old 320 or so MB hd, the primary is dedicated to linux that makes the computer usable if i'll ever need it.

Cpu is so fast that some games ( probably not well programmed ) are unplayable , especially the only one i was a bit interested in ( one must fall, i quite like it ) .

Ended up installing zsnes and playing a bit with it, maybe i'll try also mame for dos and i would like to give a try to grand theft auto when some friend will download it for me ( 330 or so MB... with 56 kb days... ).

Quote:
You could probably run a DOS game on a DOSBOX running on a PPC
I have tried on an imac g3 233mhz running linux and it's wasn't that fast, anyway i really like dosbox, it's really simple to be used and installed.

As for doom, i played some years ago with prboom, a linux opengl port that handled extended, like 1280x1024, resolutions.
Old 05 August 2006, 21:19   #23
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

I've had no problems with the Linux version of DOSBox. Interesting looking at some old games I had on the Amiga like Flashback. The PC one doesn't have as good music but it has better graphics and it has a longer intro too! Just make sure you set the core to Dynamic (major speed boost) and the cycles to automatic.
Old 17 November 2012, 09:46   #24
k9dog

It runs fine on pegasos amigaos 4.1 and my smartphone :-). But I can really recommend scummvm 68k for the more adventure based games if you are using a 68k. I also saw dosbox was available for my Samsung TV if I use SamyGO.
But I can still see some potential in a dosbox emulator for the later versions of 68k's (at least 68040 and '60). I believe if a JIT version with a reverse memory model is developed, that it can run all DOS games available up till those made for 386/486SX and DOS specifically and a few of those made for the 486DX. With Windows I believe things will get a lot harder especially because the memory limitations was broken and the graphics card developed at that time really began to drive the way for new kind of games for PCs with DirectX (not just for 3D). Even topend games for DOS will be a problem if they really push a graphics card to its fullest, but I think those kind of games are 'rare' and should have been set on a Windows platform instead.

Last edited by k9dog; 17 November 2012 at 11:16.

Old 17 December 2012, 04:31   #25
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9dog View Post
It runs fine on pegasos amigaos 4.1 and my smartphone :-). But I can really recommend scummvm 68k for the more adventure based games if you are using a 68k.

But I can still see some potential in a dosbox emulator for the later versions of 68k's (at least 68040 and '60). I believe if a JIT version with a reverse memory model is developed, that it can run all DOS games available up till those made for 386/486SX and DOS specifically and a few of those made for the 486DX.
I'm already on it BUT I need a JIT 68k core developed (I'm a useless assembly coder), hopefully I'll be able to get some help with this.

http://eab.abime.net/attachment.php?...9&d=1355462049
Old 17 December 2012, 10:17   #26
OlafSch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
I'm already on it BUT I need a JIT 68k core developed (I'm a useless assembly coder), hopefully I'll be able to get some help with this.

http://eab.abime.net/attachment.php?...9&d=1355462049
Is JIT necessary if using it on WinUAE? 0.58 is fast enough for many games (at least when running it on a fast hardware). So 0.74 without JIT (a kind of UAE edition) would be great, expecially if the version with JIT still needs some time.