Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 22 September 2022, 03:07   #21
Pyromania

Only 380 views?
Old 22 September 2022, 03:36   #22
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelord View Post
Ok, it gets worse, by which i mean no disrespect to mates from rokkerdale but seriously [ Show youtube player ].
The attendees were so blown away by the end that when DP asked "What are your thoughts?" And nobody had anything to say, 100% agreement the vision is sound. I'm sure they just stopped filming there because they didn't want to accidentally capture an image of every one of those guys' credit cards being whipped out at once.

I'm willing to contribute £5 to send a community member to Hollywood to try to pitch the idea of Amiga - The Movie. Naturally, I would like someone eloquent like XBoxown. There is also a rider that the person pitching it also gets to star as Jack Tramiel. Also a second rider that I get to play the part of Petro Tyschtschenko in the movie.

Last edited by grelbfarlk; 22 September 2022 at 04:07.
Old 22 September 2022, 04:11   #23
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by stairmand View Post
I thought this website covered most of this already. When I needed recap work, I found it here. When I needed repair, I got help here.

I'm confused what it would offer even if didn't cost anything?
One big website with all the Amiga info is not such a bad idea, we could use a solid and organised Wiki of sorts. Sure, EAB and other forums are great but do require some trawling and sifting through. But, such website is certainly not something that requires an annual 30 quid subscription. It's a kind of thing that fans/volunteers usually build for free.

All the other ideas of CAGA are a pipedream (from DP) and props for a hopeful lil' cash grab (from some of the others). I do believe DP acts in good faith and really believes, but folks like him are usually kinda disconnected from reality and have others egging them on and abusing the naivety. Sort of like Nolan Bushnell, who will speak up for any old shady operation (eg Atari SA, Athena Worlds) as long as there is some veneer of branding and publicity involved.

EDIT: oh lord, that new vid is really painful. The barman's side eye at 16:03 says it all.

Last edited by dreadnought; 22 September 2022 at 04:16.
Old 22 September 2022, 04:27   #24
grelbfarlk

Right, they just need to buy, Bigboookofamigahardware, amiga.resource, aminet, A1k, amigapcb, amigawiki, amiga.org and EAB's, icomp, pulll all of the old sites in the waybackmachine, the Amiga IP and source code, board layouts and chip tapings, have Matze and Stephen of Terriblefire, CSLAB, E3B, Elbox, Quikpak, Macrosystems, Matay, those CDTV guys, A-EON, Hyperion, Cloanto, Villagetronic, GVP, Newtek, MBoehmer, Thomas Richter, Toni Willen, Chris Hodges, Nonarkitten, Majsta, Kipper, Dan Babcock, Ralph Babel, Amidog, Bzili, Novacoder and Cowcat and pay for the retirements of all of those people to own all of that IP and concentrate it in one place.

Last edited by grelbfarlk; 22 September 2022 at 04:48.
Old 22 September 2022, 06:52   #25
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

You forgot wardens with big sticks to prevent riots among the inmates.
Old 22 September 2022, 10:11   #26
OlafSch

Quote:
This... seems 20 years late for me. And charging press outlets twice the cost of other retailers seems counterproductive. But hey, maybe it just might work.

[ Show youtube player ]
for me such ideas come much too early... common marketing perhaps makes sense at some point but not now. It would make sense if the legal dispute about the brand "Amiga" have ended and it can be legally licensed and used. And when we have attractive products that can be sold using the brand. That could be after transition of Aros to Linux and the ISA change of MorphOS. For "retro" alone we do not need big marketing efforts. People would propably look at it and either go away without interest or at least discuss about it. But only few would start to buy something.... And the project proposed is much too vague to me. It sounds like "give me money and I will look what I can do with it"...
Old 22 September 2022, 12:20   #27
stevelord

I did some domain digging.Commodorealliance.com appears to use the NWAG logo and appears to be site in progress and was registered with Tucows on the 10th of September according to Domain Whois.

Commodoreamigaglobalalliance.com was registered with IONOS on the 17th of August but doesn't appear to have a website.

The .net and .org are free for registration.
Old 22 September 2022, 12:29   #28
Pyromania

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
I'm willing to contribute £5 to send a community member to Hollywood to try to pitch the idea of Amiga - The Movie. Naturally, I would like someone eloquent like XBoxown. There is also a rider that the person pitching it also gets to star as Jack Tramiel. Also a second rider that I get to play the part of Petro Tyschtschenko in the movie.
I 1000% approve of this idea and post.

Old 22 September 2022, 15:05   #29
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
AmigaBill believes in this? I am a bit surprised.
Old 22 September 2022, 15:48   #30
Pyromania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
You must believe, look into the Amiga Boing Ball, you must believe. I'm willing to throw in 35 Euro or even 70 Euro for the first year to see where it goes. I think they should take advantage of properties that Trevor already owns like Amiga.org & Amigaworld.net. Maybe that's a better idea then making another Amiga website. The best Amiga website already exists for many years. It's called EAB.
Old 22 September 2022, 17:18   #31
OlafSch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromania View Post
You must believe, look into the Amiga Boing Ball, you must believe. I'm willing to throw in 35 Euro or even 70 Euro for the first year to see where it goes. I think they should take advantage of properties that Trevor already owns like Amiga.org & Amigaworld.net. Maybe that's a better idea then making another Amiga website. The best Amiga website already exists for many years. It's called EAB.
I can give you my bank data and then you throw in 70 EUR too and see where it goes
Old 22 September 2022, 22:10   #32
TEG

Quote:
In unrelated unfortunate naming news, Caga is the feminine singular form of the Spanish verb for crapping.

And in French it's not far, caca mean poo.
Old 23 September 2022, 00:38   #33
AmigaBill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
Well....I think the website is a good idea and would be helpful especially to folks who are new to the Amiga community. I get people coming to me very frequently asking the same questions and it would be great to point them to that site. I will list WAUG on it. I wasn't aware of the pricing structure at the time I recorded the video as well as all the details of the "stretch goals." I am hoping we get the website even if those goals aren't met. I agree with the concerns about funding projects and the other topics. We already have things like IndieGoGo, Kickstarter, Patreon, etc to help projects and creators so those details and the allocation of money to those projects needs to be flushed out and then he can decide if he thinks that idea would work.
Old 23 September 2022, 01:16   #34
cookieninja

I think the responses are a bit harsh,there is definitely something of a "beautiful mess" in terms of where we need to wonder around to find news and useful information and resources.

I'm not sure this is the answer to that, however does anything honestly think our community is in the best possible shape for new people to enter and our hobby to thrive? Honestly? I think our biggest problem improving things is probably money, to help people dedicate the time needed to come up with some great new ideas.

As for the name, I think I can hear the sound of AmigaKit and Cloanto lawyers cackling, they might be responsible for around 1/2 of the views of the video to help them take notes and write some legal paperwork
Old 23 September 2022, 07:11   #35
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
And Hyperion of course.
Old 26 September 2022, 16:10   #36
salteadorneo

Please change the name of this initiative. The acronym CAGA can be misunderstood in Spanish.
Old 26 September 2022, 16:28   #37
Robbie

he has a spinning logo and now he's going to create what is known in the industry as a 'website'. "it's an incredibly exciting concept".

I just hope some of the funds can go to upgrade his 320x240 webcam.

For anyone in the UK, this reminds me of one of Brian Butterfield's adverts.

Donate NOW!
Old 27 September 2022, 19:40   #38
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

This is unbearable to watch. True friends tell you when you're heading down a rabbit hole with only a mouldy carrot at the end. Hopefully David isn't surrounded by yes-men (and/or women) who are doing him a major disservice by reaffirming what he would like to be true.
Old 27 September 2022, 20:27   #39
Gorf

Wow ... full 20% of the money will go back to the community!
I guess we all should be eternally grateful!

On a site from and for the community

Well it seems David is still a business man through and through ...
Old 27 September 2022, 22:24   #40
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorf View Post
Wow ... full 20% of the money will go back to the community!
I guess we all should be eternally grateful!
You know it's all down to administration and stuff. He really pushed hard to make it 20, but if it wasn't him it would be 15 or 10. He's just that amazing.