English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 07 August 2020, 01:50   #21
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigatime View Post
Okay, it was difficult getting focused on the detail with my phone, but here goes.

CRT-Royale, Kurozumi preset on LG C8 @ 4K:

Emulated Mega Drive version of Flashback.
That does look good. I have played with the winUAE shaders but not this one. Definitely will give it a go. That might be the 80% I am looking for.

You make a good point about getting a high enough resolution to represent the analog feel. I have managed to create great analog looks in After Effects for some of my animation work, and having the resolution there to create blurs and chromatic deviations really helps.
Old 07 August 2020, 03:04   #22
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

The best CRT shader in Retroarch is by far "CRT-Guest-Dr-Venom". It has tons of options and supports several well known CRT masks. Looks good in 1080p and even better in 4K resolution. CRT-Royale Kurozumi is nice, but it simulates a Sony PVM/BVM with thick black scanlines. Not my cup of tea. But some likes it that way.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 07 August 2020 at 03:12.
Old 07 August 2020, 10:53   #23
amigatime

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeberbach View Post
OSSC is OK. It is not great for CRT use because it has HDMI output so then you will find yourself needing yet another converter to turn HDMI into component or HD15 VGA or whatever your CRT needs but unless you are extremely lucky it won't be HDMI! I have a 21" Trinitron here and an OSSC but it's just not as good as using a generic Dell LCD when I need to use the OSSC. It's not really for your use case.
Yeah, it's a shame. I just have to accept that if I want a CRT on this Amiga (and I really do), then I'll have to get hold of a PAL unit of some description. I'm thinking it's likely going to be a PVM or equivalent in the 14" to 20" range - whatever I can get my hands on without going silly - or possibly one of the classic consumer units of the time. I'd love a magic device that would do the whole range from PAL up to SVGA, and authentically, but I just can't see it at the moment. The OSSC Pro could be a solution in the future as it will have a frame buffer, so it may be possible to trade a frame's worth of latency for some processing that would make using an Amiga on an SVGA CRT bearable. There's also talk of a possible VGA expansion for the Pro to allow direct connection to a CRT.
Old 07 August 2020, 11:01   #24
amigatime

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxgogo View Post
That does look good. I have played with the winUAE shaders but not this one. Definitely will give it a go. That might be the 80% I am looking for.

You make a good point about getting a high enough resolution to represent the analog feel. I have managed to create great analog looks in After Effects for some of my animation work, and having the resolution there to create blurs and chromatic deviations really helps.
I'm not an Apple user, but I've read great things about the 5K iMac display when it comes to emulating CRT with the same shader. A user on the shmups forum posted a photo of his, and it looked very convincing.
Old 07 August 2020, 11:02   #25
amigatime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
The best CRT shader in Retroarch is by far "CRT-Guest-Dr-Venom". It has tons of options and supports several well known CRT masks. Looks good in 1080p and even better in 4K resolution. CRT-Royale Kurozumi is nice, but it simulates a Sony PVM/BVM with thick black scanlines. Not my cup of tea. But some likes it that way.
Oh, nice! I'll give that a go today, thanks
Old 08 August 2020, 11:32   #26
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

Quote:
I'm not an Apple user, but I've read great things about the 5K iMac display when it comes to emulating CRT with the same shader. A user on the shmups forum posted a photo of his, and it looked very convincing.
Me neither. I have not even seen one of those in action. Sounds devine.
Old 08 August 2020, 17:23   #27
Jope
-

Quote:
Do you have the OSSC connected to a CRT? My main concern is running an SVGA monitor at 50Hz, which I believe will have a lot of flicker. I remember that 60Hz was pretty awful on decent monitors and I used to prefer running at a minimum of 85Hz.
This is my experience also. The nicer the monitor (higher max refresh) the more flickery 50Hz will be.