English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.UAE Wishlist

Old 08 March 2010, 14:47   #21
Maren
Banned

Oh no, the bloody input panel, my nemesis

Will see if I can get anything working there. Thanks anyways.
Old 08 March 2010, 14:59   #22
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maren View Post
Oh no, the bloody input panel, my nemesis

Will see if I can get anything working there. Thanks anyways.
Hehe If you need some help just drop me a PM.
Old 08 March 2010, 15:16   #23
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Another update: dms and some other archives work now.

About shortcuts, how do YOU suggest to default map them? (hint: there are not many combinations left and you can have 4 drives..)
Old 08 March 2010, 15:47   #24
Maren
Banned

I can't really suggest anything because I don't even know how to operate the input panel to begin with, that's the point I actually thought of using wheel-up and wheel-down for next disk and previous disk respectively.

@TCD: if you can PM me a sample config, I'd really appreciate that, would give me a starting point
Old 08 March 2010, 17:30   #25
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

You have to edit the config yourself because wheel up/down "button" numbers are mouse type specific.

Open Input-panel. Switch to configuration#1, select your mouse from select box (mouse that is enabled by default has checkbox ticked next to device's name, select that one).

Find "Wheel [-]" and "Wheel [+]" (bottom of list), map them to "Next disk image in DF0:" and "Previous disk image in DF0:".
Old 08 March 2010, 17:36   #26
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Is there a way to assign functions to key combinations (like Shift & +) either in the GUI or the uae file?
Old 08 March 2010, 18:11   #27
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Is there a way to assign functions to key combinations (like Shift & +) either in the GUI or the uae file?
No (yet?). Problem is simple: you press shift, Amiga shift press event is generated (in 99% cases you have shift mapped), you press some other key and now "shift and plus" event is detected.

Now we have two events, normal shift and "shift and plus" mapped to something else. Everyone expects only single "shift and plus".

Normal shift press can't be anymore removed without time machine. (and do not suggest "wait a bit before sending the event". You REALLY don't want any extra key lag..)

In games this may not be a problem (keyboard is not commonly used) but games isn't everything. Unfortunately I have to think about all use cases..
Old 08 March 2010, 18:15   #28
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Unfortunately I have to think about all use cases..
No worries I just wondered if there was a hidden feature already. It isn't that important anyway.
Old 08 March 2010, 21:45   #29
Maren
Banned

Quote:
You have to edit the config yourself because wheel up/down "button" numbers are mouse type specific.

Open Input-panel. Switch to configuration#1, select your mouse from select box (mouse that is enabled by default has checkbox ticked next to device's name, select that one).

Find "Wheel [-]" and "Wheel [+]" (bottom of list), map them to "Next disk image in DF0:" and "Previous disk image in DF0:".
That's one of the problems I'm having, switching to Configuration#1 seems to interfere with the default "Game ports" config in a way that I'm unable to use the numpad as a joystick, so even when I can swap disks, I can't proceed if I'm asked to press fire afterwards.
Old 09 March 2010, 08:03   #30
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
That's one of the problems I'm having, switching to Configuration#1 seems to interfere with the default "Game ports" config in a way that I'm unable to use the numpad as a joystick, so even when I can swap disks, I can't proceed if I'm asked to press fire afterwards.
Input panel = "you are on your own", simple mouse and joystick selection in game port panel is ignored, you have to map everything manually. (or get joystick or game pad)

Including game port settings in input configuration is planned but it is easier said than done.
Old 09 March 2010, 12:12   #31
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I think "on the fly" disk swapping should be designed from scratch. Currently it uses too many valuable shortcut keys.

There needs to be way to remove global shortcuts. (I mean shortcuts that are hardcoded like END+Fx, Input panel shortcuts are not included here)

Perhaps single shortcut that opens basic disk "GUI" (perhaps even non-GUI "window" that appears over current emulation window/screen, emulation can even be allowed to run when this "GUI" is open) and another (ESC?) that closes it. Only when this "GUI" is open, extra disk swapping shortcuts are enabled.

Perhaps similar "GUI" can work with statefile shortcuts, disk swapper etc..
Old 09 March 2010, 12:52   #32
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Interesting idea Looking forward to see how it'll work.
Old 09 March 2010, 13:20   #33
Maren
Banned

Thanks for the answer.

I was wondering, how realistic would I be if I suggested something like a new Input panel where everything WinUAE emulates (keyboard, mouse and joystick) plus WinUAE's internal features (like Pause) were available as a list on the same screen, allowing the user to click on any entry, then press anything connected to the PC hardware in order to have the function assigned?
Old 09 March 2010, 13:49   #34
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
I was wondering, how realistic would I be if I suggested something like a new Input panel where everything WinUAE emulates (keyboard, mouse and joystick) plus WinUAE's internal features (like Pause) were available as a list on the same screen, allowing the user to click on any entry, then press anything connected to the PC hardware in order to have the function assigned?
Actually this has been partially implemented long time ago but I think I lost interest too quickly. (yet another easier said than done feature)
Old 09 March 2010, 19:12   #35
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Input panel = "you are on your own", simple mouse and joystick selection in game port panel is ignored, you have to map everything manually. (or get joystick or game pad)

Including game port settings in input configuration is planned but it is easier said than done.
winuae.zip updated.

I am not sure if this was good idea but now Game Ports panel settings are merged with Input panel settings (="slot 0" is always overridden)

Perhaps this needs to be optional because this can break old input panel configurations..
Old 09 March 2010, 20:25   #36
Maren
Banned

It sure is a good idea, don't let anyone convince you otherwise Now I can swap disks in DF0: with the mousewheel and have joystick mapped to the numpad all without lifting a finger, thank you again
Old 10 March 2010, 08:14   #37
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
It sure is a good idea, don't let anyone convince you otherwise
I am quite sure it isn't good idea without being optional. (but I don't want to add new GUI elements)

Guess what happens when someone loads his/her carefully created input configuration and suddenly some keys stop working? Only because some KB layout setting is selected in GamePorts panel (which did nothing in older versions)
Old 10 March 2010, 09:27   #38
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
I am quite sure it isn't good idea without being optional. (but I don't want to add new GUI elements)
Hmm, yes. Would be nice to have a checkbox. There is some free space left of the 'Swap 1<>2' button
Old 10 March 2010, 17:23   #39
Maren
Banned

I was talking about the feature itself. As I always take a few seconds of my life to create a fresh config for every new .exe I try, it wouldn't be an issue for me one way or the other
Old 10 March 2010, 21:35   #40
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

winuae.zip updated (newer than b16), now includes "More files.." in right click pop up menu that scans whole directory and lists all files that have similar file name. (for example includes alternates, different cracks etc that normal version can't detect but can be slower)