English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 21 July 2009, 22:29   #21
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Well if you leave the 'Private information' bit completely empty (which I would prefer), this pops up :

Sure I can fake all that, but guess I just keep my A500 for myself then

P.S. : Can't see what my email has to do with this.
Old 21 July 2009, 22:54   #22
klx300r

im in too
Old 21 July 2009, 23:40   #23
peo

I have so far accepted a couple of fakes (private information), based on the usefullness of the other information entered.

A name and at least the (street), city, state and country would be nice to have for later grouping and counting of the users. I will never give (or sell) any of the information entered in these fields away to others.

The e-mail address is probably the most important of these fields. This is where I will send you the link to the 'edit' page (when finished), so you can add/remove and change information as needed.

Besides, some people misunderstand the (according to me) clear instructions on what to enter where.. The field "Other public information" is the one that seems causing trouble:

Other informationFree-text field for other information to share with the users of the map. Here you can type your contact information (if you want to have it displayed on the map) or something other useful.
Do not enter your Amiga systems here, as this will be done in the next step.
I get a lot of system information in this field, and a few does not enter the Amiga systems at the next step at all. This gives me some problem when checking through the newly added users.

And yes, I check that the point on the map somewhat matches the given address, and that all the information is somewhat useful. I also have (so far) moved Amiga-systems from the "Other public information" to the correct field (which makes it easier to filter out MiniMig and other systems)

This also means that some of all the near 200 submitters have sent their information twice, or up to six times, thinking there's something wrong when the point didn't appear on the public map directly.

I will always have to check that the information is ok. Javascript is somewhat picky about how the strings are entered (illegal characters that breaks the script and leaves an empty map - which must not happen at the public map). Broken submissions will have to be fixed, not by what you entered, but in my code (as far as possible).

/PeO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Well if you leave the 'Private information' bit completely empty (which I would prefer), this pops up :

Sure I can fake all that, but guess I just keep my A500 for myself then

P.S. : Can't see what my email has to do with this.
Old 22 July 2009, 00:42   #24
peo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoonay View Post
Nope, those aren't the one I live in.
Mine are much bigger () and located right next to the czech border, near Karvina.

---=== EDITED ===---
Wut? You mean I can easly drag it where I want? ... *goes to check*
Yup, on the first page (when you search for the location)..

Most of the progrmming time for this project has been put on this page, and on the public map (which displays all validated users). I hope to find some time to make it possible to edit information during this week.

/PeO
Old 23 July 2009, 20:12   #25
illy5603

Send a message via MSN to illy5603
Sorry, this is waaaaaaaaaayyyyy too complicated... I signed up twice and it doesn't seem to work. Also asks for too much private information.
Old 23 July 2009, 21:18   #26
peo

Quote:
Originally Posted by illy5603 View Post
Sorry, this is waaaaaaaaaayyyyy too complicated... I signed up twice and it doesn't seem to work. Also asks for too much private information.
You're there (not validated yet, but twice as you tell). Your first submission is the one I will validate, because this is the one where you have the "puiblicinfo" right

/PeO
Old 24 July 2009, 11:48   #27
DH
Global Moderator

Hang on a minute. If a person can sign up twice or more, then the whole thing could end up falling flat on it's face if some unscrupulous people decide to make a mockery of the system. Half the Amiga owners could already be duplicates but with different private information.

How do you know who signs up are genuine?
Old 24 July 2009, 15:12   #28
peo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonHellraiser View Post
Half the Amiga owners could already be duplicates but with different private information.

How do you know who signs up are genuine?
There is no (easy) way to tell if the sign ups are genuine, other than trusting the submitted information, and checking that the point on the map is somewhat correct against the address (street,city,country) given.
As I check data for duplicates (based on the map point and private information), I will notice if someone signed up twice (or seven times as one did), and try to select the profile with the most correctly formatted information (or the latest sign up).

This is where the importance of getting as much (non sensitive) private data as possible, because a very few people really have enough imagination to make enough fake sign ups to destroy the purpose of the map.
Old 25 July 2009, 03:05   #29
illy5603

Send a message via MSN to illy5603
Quote:
Originally Posted by peo View Post
You're there (not validated yet, but twice as you tell). Your first submission is the one I will validate, because this is the one where you have the "puiblicinfo" right

/PeO
Ok I filled it out twice because I thought I had done something wrong. For what it is worth, I am not giving out my phone number. I can live with giving out a valid hotmail address (As it doesn't come bother me on my iPhone, I check it once a week or so) but I am under no circumstances giving out my real phone number.
Old 25 July 2009, 08:24   #30
Rixa

Not suggesting you're necessarily compiling a hit list, but I find it odd how many people are eager to pinpoint themselves on a publically accessible map
Old 25 July 2009, 09:07   #31
klx300r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rixa View Post
Not suggesting you're necessarily compiling a hit list, but I find it odd how many people are eager to pinpoint themselves on a publically accessible map
if you put actual info ie. address etc. then yes ..if you generically point to a city then ...if you are writing this at 3:30am on a Amiga Board when normal people are sleeping then
Old 25 July 2009, 14:10   #32
Leffmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rixa View Post
Spoken just like a paranoid! I'm surprised how many people view this project with scepticism and suspicion. Is anyone here really squatting out or hiding from the law? Is anyone here really out of the system? Google maps, public phone listings, other publically available censuses etc. will tell you who lives in which house in what city anyway, and the only information this map adds is what Amigas they own. How is anyone going to hurt you with that information?
Old 25 July 2009, 15:09   #33
DH
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leffmann View Post
...Is anyone here really squatting out or hiding from the law?...
Yes

In the UK you have to pay for information like that, unless you have a rough idea where those people actually live and you also need to know more than just their names etc... to be able to home in on their whereabouts.
Old 26 July 2009, 11:41   #34
mihcael
Zone Friend

there is a link on the site listing the Top Countries, but it is a bit fooked!

Quote:
Top countries of signed up Amiga owners

List of countries with 5 or more users.
Sweden 35
USA
UK
Spain 17
Italy 14
Finland 12
Canada 12
Australia 11
United Kingdom
France 9
England
Norway 6
Germany 6
Croatia 6
Denmark 6
Italia 6
United States
Old 26 July 2009, 16:27   #35
DH
Global Moderator

So the UK actually has 40 users signed up It is a bit fooked
Old 26 July 2009, 16:35   #36
coze
hastala vista winny vista

Send a message via ICQ to coze Send a message via Yahoo to coze
maybe sweden invaded UK while you were not looking
Old 26 July 2009, 21:27   #37
peo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mihcael View Post
there is a link on the site listing the Top Countries, but it is a bit fooked!
This is because this table is a summary of the "country" entered in the private information fields. Depending on what (and if something useful) was written there, this summary can be more or less incorrect.

A more advanced sum up would be necessary to count in the different ways to enter your country.
Old 28 July 2009, 15:05   #38
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Registered, I didn't hurt one bit, and when I didn't want to enter some info about me I've just typed "retertrtrtdfg"
Old 28 July 2009, 15:51   #39
blade002
Zone Friend

I know Peo has already explained why, but yes for me its WAY TOO much private info to give out. Count me out
Old 04 August 2009, 10:58   #40
mihcael
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade002 View Post
I know Peo has already explained why, but yes for me its WAY TOO much private info to give out. Count me out
the only personal info i entered was my hometown!?

Peo, can you create a filter for AROS?