English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 30 June 2009, 21:41   #21
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by fc.studio View Post
PLEASE STOP TO REPORT LCDs DON'T FLICKER!!!
I'm interested in a 15" / 17" / 19" LCD monitor to connect with an AMIGA RGB -> SCART cable able to display 640x256 AND 650x512 with 100% rock steady image on my basic A1200 (without scandoubler and/or flickerfixer).
Perhaps I don't know/understand the meaning of "flicker", but I can confirm you that my LG LCD Monitor / TV has 99% rock steady image in 640x256 (100% is in 1084S / M1438S / M1538S Amiga monitor) and unfortunately everybody can see differences and flashing screen in 640x512. In this last resolution you can use it only for a few minutes.

...SO PLEASE STOP TO REPORT LCDs DON'T FLICKER!!!
Probably it depends on the brand / model. Mine does in 640x512, so I'm searching for other models.

About MagicTV I know it. It does the job but NOT enough fine (and it is limited in colours number). A 100% rock steady image is other...
Hmmmm, you have completely lost me, 1084S etc etc are CRT's, NOT LCD's.

LCD's DO NOT FLICKER. Simple as that.

If your talking about the slight movement fomr left to right, then thats not flicker.
Old 01 July 2009, 00:18   #22
fc.studio
Cat lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
Hmmmm, you have completely lost me, 1084S etc etc are CRT's, NOT LCD's.

LCD's DO NOT FLICKER. Simple as that.

If your talking about the slight movement fomr left to right, then thats not flicker.
I know that my LCD TV (LG M1921A 1024x768) is OK with standard PAL 640x256 but IT IS NOT USABLE in PAL 640x512 resolution. It's not a personal opinion, everybody can immediately see how bad it is working and I'm not talking about slight movement, but about a simple static image too.
...and why Amiga users should be so crazy to buy an expansive Indivision AGA 1200 scandoubler flickerfixer if *ALL* LCD TV work fine?
Old 01 July 2009, 00:25   #23
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
I know that my LCD TV (LG M1921A 1024x768) is OK with standard PAL 640x256 but IT IS NOT USABLE in PAL 640x512 resolution. It's not a personal opinion, everybody can immediately see how bad it is working and I'm not talking about slight movement, but about a simple static image too.
...and why Amiga users should be so crazy to buy an expansive Indivision AGA 1200 scandoubler flickerfixer if *ALL* LCD TV work fine?
Ermmmm, lol, thats right, its a £100 flicker fixer, nothing else.
Obviously they buy it for the higher resolutions.

Point is, you aint explained properly.

Again are you talking about the whole picture moving 1 pixel left then 1 pixel right, constantly?

Regarding flickering, say you opened and closed your eyes very very fast, it would give the effect that flickering gives.
This is basically what flickering means.

Im just having trouble, understanding it, as I have worked on LCD's since their release (main brands and cheapo brands).
I have never ever seen 1 flicker.

Last edited by FOL; 01 July 2009 at 00:30.
Old 01 July 2009, 01:41   #24
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit80 View Post
Now that I have my 68030 /40Mhz Apollo card how do I tune Workbench for maximum performance?

I have 3.0 Roms - Can I run OS3.5?
How do I make sure all caches are on?
Can I boot from my drive if I convert it to SFS?
Can I relocate my kickstart into Fast Mem?
Any libraries optimised for 68030 that improve performance?
Other suggestions?

Currently running in 640x512x32 screenmode and using ClassicWB ADVSP as a base.

Cheers

Rabbit
Hiya,

A couple of things to think about, the more patches you put on the less 'stable' your system will be (in theory).

My current setup (AGA only A1200):
  • 3.1 ROMS
  • OS 3.9 + BB2
  • BlazeWCP
  • IconBeFast
  • FBlit + FText
  • BlizKick with various performance enhancements
I run this at 640x480 (Multiscan + VGA only monitor drivers) which gives a rock steady progressive VGA display on my CRT thanks to my IndivisionAGA. Because of these patches I can also run in the maximum 256 colour mode with reasonable speed (030 @ 50mhz with 64mb ram) and chipram usage.

Last edited by NovaCoder; 01 July 2009 at 04:03.
Old 01 July 2009, 03:32   #25
Cammy

What do you plan on using your A1200 for?

If you want the fastest performance you should use Workbench 3.1. The only real advantage of running 3.5/3.9 is the better Datatypes and Icons systems, which are the main reasons why 3.5/3.9 are so slow! Just about everything else can be provided with free apps and patches.

I'd recommend running your Workbench in 16 colours and locking the palette with FullPalette, enhancing the look with VisualPrefs.

You don't have to believe me if you don't want, but I have been running Workbench for ages and I know all about making it run faster, smoother, and looking better. And increasing your colours only slow things down. If your applications need more than 16 colours, run them on another screen... this isn't Winblows where every program needs to open in the same screen and desktop space, spread things over several screens, each one tweaked for the application running on it. For example, you probably only need 4 colours for a text editor.
Old 01 July 2009, 06:36   #26
fc.studio
Cat lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
Ermmmm, lol, thats right, its a £100 flicker fixer, nothing else.
Obviously they buy it for the higher resolutions.

Point is, you aint explained properly.

Again are you talking about the whole picture moving 1 pixel left then 1 pixel right, constantly?

Regarding flickering, say you opened and closed your eyes very very fast, it would give the effect that flickering gives.
This is basically what flickering means.
Surely, I've not explained properly (sorry for my poor english). However this is what happens with higher resolutions (PAL 640x512) on many LCD TVs like mine: THEY FLICKER, but exception exist.
I'm only searching for an LCD TV that works fine with low & higher PAL res. to avoid to buy a device like the Indivision Scandoubler Flickerfixer.
Old 01 July 2009, 08:41   #27
NovaCoder

Quote:
I'm only searching for an LCD TV that works fine with low & higher PAL res. to avoid to buy a device like the Indivision Scandoubler Flickerfixer.
Won't an LCD TV cost you almost as much as the Indivision? Also consider that your classic Miggy will still look better on a CRT via an Indivision than a LCD via RGB.
Old 01 July 2009, 11:29   #28
AmigaFriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
Won't an LCD TV cost you almost as much as the Indivision? Also consider that your classic Miggy will still look better on a CRT via an Indivision than a LCD via RGB.

Indeed. Or even a standard and cheaper computer LCD monitor.