English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 23 September 2007, 15:45   #21
Paul_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
Like a well-marketed product with sufficient financial backing, something the Amiga didn't have?

I think Commodore did it themselves, although the whole Windows 95 thing was badly timed from the Amiga's point of view (I'm sure it made a difference) but basically if Commodore weren't so incompetent then it wouldn't have died.
I'd agree with that. The management of the day in the mid-90's killed the Amiga sadly I also think the AA stuff came little too late... shame really, the Amiga could've been awesome if it had continued
Old 23 September 2007, 17:57   #22
Pyromania

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade002 View Post
I dont know Fred. I mean none of us worked for Commodore, none of worked for Microsoft during that period
I worked for Commodore between 1990-1991.
Old 23 September 2007, 20:47   #23
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromania View Post
I worked for Commodore between 1990-1991.
Hi blade, I must tell you, that in regards to your ideas about god and "not knowing", you might use my logical method.
life is a gamble. So it is best, in cases where certainty is unattainable, to use educated guesses based on probability.
In this case, based on understanding of economics, computer platforms, MS tactics, etc, I guessed that MS would not bother.
I would surmise I am correct.
I need not have been a part of Hitler's staff to guess that his reason for bombing London was due to one reason or another.
An educated guess might be based on him wanting to terrify Britain into surrender instead of undertaking a very difficult cross-channel invasion.
That of course being based on my understanding of the state of the weather, strength of the Royal Navy, Luftwaffe, political considerations,etc.
Old 23 September 2007, 20:48   #24
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

The previous post was done on the iPod Touch. There is some issue with spacing as you can see, but I just got it and am testing it out. If you can get one, do so. Amazing.
This post done on G4 Powerbook.
Old 23 September 2007, 21:46   #25
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
MS has allways had a hard time competing with compnies that knew their market and delivered. MS killed netscape because netscape put out crappy software, not because of MS making a better product (even if it was free). So if the company MS is after doesn't screw up on its own MS will just buy them out.

Commodores problem was they didn't spend money on R&D and they didn't spend money on advertising. Their products were great when they first came out, but ended up being old news a decade later when other companies seen the new trend and started going that way.

The thing I like about microsoft is that they keep trying to either update their products to buy out other companies with the tech they need if they cannot do it themselves. They have a vision (sometimes later then others) on where they want to go and spend/buy to get them there. Commodore had no vision outside of the initial Amiga design (which they just purchased so Atari would not get it), and didn't bother to expand that product either on their own with R&D or by buying newer technology when they had the cash to do so. One trick pony that was bound to fail no matter what. Seems like Commodore was one of the first pump and dump companies to milk a product into the ground taking the money and running.
Old 23 September 2007, 22:11   #26
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Yeah sorry, that was a typo, 1990 I meant

This was the time of major Amiga ownership saturation, the still must have machine, the release of AGA Amigas at this time would have severely negated the impact of the Sega Megadrive and Super Nintendo in the UK and Europe, because either would have struggled against such a machine.
I don't know much about Europe, but to tell me that giants such as Nintendo and Sega being negated by the marketing retards of Commodore seems apocryphal or hyperbolic. To be sure, the hardware of the AGA machines blew the Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis/CD out of the water, I agree!
Maybe the marketing arm in Europe was superior to the US/Cananda marketing arm, because the Amiga was almost completely unknown here.
Old 24 September 2007, 08:33   #27
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred the Duck View Post
I don't know much about Europe, but to tell me that giants such as Nintendo and Sega being negated by the marketing retards of Commodore seems apocryphal or hyperbolic. To be sure, the hardware of the AGA machines blew the Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis/CD out of the water, I agree!
Maybe the marketing arm in Europe was superior to the US/Cananda marketing arm, because the Amiga was almost completely unknown here.
The Amiga was numero #1 in Europe before Sega and Nintendo got involved with the Megadrive and SNES. Before that, both Sega and Nintendo didn't have major success with the Master System or the NES, the UK especially was a predominantly a home computer country (C64, Spectrum, Amstrad).

Regardless of Sega or Nintendos marketing, if the AGA Amigas had been released at the height of the Amigas popularity, both Sega and Nintendo would have stalled in the UK. I mean, it was all grey imports to start with, both of them weren't initially interested in the UK.

If all the software companies that were developing on Amiga first (which they would have been as the Amiga had greater software sales back then), then any conversions from AGA to Megadrive/SNES would have suffered, and that for a lot of people, would have been as great a marketing tool as you would have needed.

In the UK and Europe, both Sega and Nintendo were not these unstoppable forces as they were in the US.

Times change though
Old 24 September 2007, 10:58   #28
Kirben

The article is clearly biased, and inaccurate in the extreme. I'm a frequent user of Quicktime content, and followed the development of ActiveMovie from the start.

I have read various parts of the anti-trust law suit, basically Microsoft wanted a common format, and Apple refused the offer. Quicktime could have existed as additional codecs under Windows, which is the way additional formats are meant to be added. Apple even complained about having to support DirectX!, which is much easier way to get hardware acceleration for all video cards.

I don't even recall, the so called sabotage at all, when updating ASF/NetShow/WMP in the past. It is simply refering to the default programs, used for each type of multimedia file. Many multimedia players auto changed the file types for multimedia files, without permission in the past.

If Quicktime under Windows failed, it was solely due to Apple's poor support and greed:
Quicktime 2.0/2.1 only offered hardware acceleration for a few specific video cards, since it didn't support DirectX.
Quicktime 2.5 was never even released for Windows.
Quicktime 3.0 and onwards requires payment for basic features (Full screen playback, saving movies) available in previous release (Quicktime 2.5 for Macintosh).

Even worse, a license for Quicktime is only meant to last for one x.0 version. Users are expected to pay again for each major release, even if Quicktime is only used for play back.

Thank goodness for the Quicktime Alternative package, which allows play back through alternative multimedia players.
Old 24 September 2007, 23:58   #29
Pyromania

Quote:
The previous post was done on the iPod Touch. There is some issue with spacing as you can see, but I just got it and am testing it out. If you can get one, do so. Amazing.
This post done on G4 Powerbook.
A little OT but Fred how do you like your iPod Touch? I'm thinking of getting one very soon. I have the new Nano and it is very cool. Nothing beats driving 80MPH and simi watching a Amiga EuroDemo on the new Nano, just kidden.

Old 25 September 2007, 04:19   #30
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Yes, Pyro, this is an amazing piece of hardware. I have, a a matter of fact, on the train to work this morning, watched a Lost Vikings longplay for Amiga, via Youtube. Music playback seems "brighter" and cleaner with this iPod than any other I have used.
Also, I have watched movies on it and the quality of the video, if ripped at (Xvid is nice codec), is great.
I have not tried it with TV out yet, I ordered the cable and dock today.
I never really knew I could use any iPod with video playback in this way.
My DVD player is going to be lonely soon!
Old 25 September 2007, 09:20   #31
DrF
Blessed A1200 Of TeH Rat

Its all very confusing, nothing really suprises me where moneys concernced... anyhow who cares whats done is done and whatever will be will be or something, you can't change that and cant do nothing about M$.

The future is not writtern yet.
Old 26 September 2007, 16:45   #32
Pyromania

Quote:
Yes, Pyro, this is an amazing piece of hardware. I have, a a matter of fact, on the train to work this morning, watched a Lost Vikings longplay for Amiga, via Youtube. Music playback seems "brighter" and cleaner with this iPod than any other I have used.
Also, I have watched movies on it and the quality of the video, if ripped at (Xvid is nice codec), is great.
I have not tried it with TV out yet, I ordered the cable and dock today.
I never really knew I could use any iPod with video playback in this way.
My DVD player is going to be lonely soon!
What I want to know Fred is why everyone overseas already has their iPod Touch! Apple's USA website still says it will not be available till Sept 28th!

Old 26 September 2007, 19:01   #33
amiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrF View Post
Its all very confusing, nothing really suprises me where moneys concernced... anyhow who cares whats done is done and whatever will be will be or something, you can't change that and cant do nothing about M$.

The future is not writtern yet.

The future is written already; whomever started this pathetic thread will go to hell instantly! Don't believe me, Pyromania ??
Old 26 September 2007, 22:50   #34
Pyromania

It's not a question of belief.
Old 27 September 2007, 05:49   #35
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Pyro, I live in NYC, so I went to the flagship store on 5th avenue. I gues maybe this store gets first dibs.
As usual, the store was mobbed.
Old 27 September 2007, 12:21   #36
laser
Banned

I heard Microsoft have tryed to kill quicktime because Apple' president observed when he was young who shoots the president JFK

Microsoft kill the Amiga cause some aliens allocated at the Area 51 were disgusted with Fidel Castro...and everybody knows that Castro is a Turrican' fanatic player
The disgusted aliens threaten to leave Area51 and invade the entire earth as vengeance......so the CIA ,the MAfia and FBI convinced MS to kill the Amiga

in other worlds the Amiga was killed by Microsoft saved the humanity

that's is the true..the others theories are fake

the world is a conspiracy
Old 27 September 2007, 13:20   #37
DrF
Blessed A1200 Of TeH Rat

There are no problems at Commodore, NO never! this is true.
Old 27 September 2007, 14:12   #38
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

the question i always asking myself it's : how they managed to kill a so powerfull and incredible computer. the a500 is born in 1985 and it continued to make high levels games in 1994 with brian the lion it can compete against the last nintendo and sega.
I thing they would have to make an amiga 500 with cdrom combo, just sold this one and make a pack uprade for the base who was there, that's all, no cdtv.Keep there money and make more publicity with the money.
I think they would success
Old 27 September 2007, 15:43   #39
DrF
Blessed A1200 Of TeH Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by turrican3 View Post
the question i always asking myself it's : how they managed to kill a so powerfull and incredible computer. the a500 is born in 1985 and it continued to make high levels games in 1994 with brian the lion it can compete against the last nintendo and sega.
I thing they would have to make an amiga 500 with cdrom combo, just sold this one and make a pack uprade for the base who was there, that's all, no cdtv.Keep there money and make more publicity with the money.
I think they would success
A500 was 1987, your thinking of A1000 which I think was 1985.

I agree that CDTV was a mistake in the sense it was realeased into a place where no market exsisted at that time. A A500 with CDRom I don't think would have been financially viable at the time of the A500s launch.
Old 27 September 2007, 19:54   #40
Pyromania

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser View Post
I heard Microsoft have tryed to kill quicktime because Apple' president observed when he was young who shoots the president JFK

Microsoft kill the Amiga cause some aliens allocated at the Area 51 were disgusted with Fidel Castro...and everybody knows that Castro is a Turrican' fanatic player
The disgusted aliens threaten to leave Area51 and invade the entire earth as vengeance......so the CIA ,the MAfia and FBI convinced MS to kill the Amiga

in other worlds the Amiga was killed by Microsoft saved the humanity

that's is the true..the others theories are fake

the world is a conspiracy

I think your right laser.