English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 14 February 2023, 14:00   #21
trixster
Guru Meditating

Please don’t subject any kids to Superfrog, it’s complete garbage!
Old 14 February 2023, 14:03   #22
Reynolds
Alien Breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixster View Post
That's also an opinion. In my family we all love it. And most of the Amigans did way back, so we can say it stood the test of time.
Old 14 February 2023, 14:42   #23
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
What is wrong with saying "I don't like it?" Did you play in total 5 games or something if that is your idea of complete garbage?

I don't have the greatest love for the game either, but come on. It's cute, it is colourful, it is smooth, it is responsive, it has big levels and it does not punish you for going slow and exploring by giving you oodles of time, in fact it rewards exploration because there are so many secrets to find in a level. It has a charm that will appeal more to kids than to adults which helps to overlook flaws the game has.

Baby Jo is so much more worse than Superfrog. I still don't call that game garbage either, it has some redeeming qualities and as a kid I really enjoyed trying to punch my way through the terribly unforgiving and hard to control game. Charm goes a long way. Youthful perseverance to see what the next world will look like resolves or counters all flaws in any game.
Old 14 February 2023, 14:43   #24
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

"Superfrog" was one of my favourite game BitD. Even completed it
Old 14 February 2023, 15:08   #25
ransom1122

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
What is wrong with saying "I don't like it?" Did you play in total 5 games or something if that is your idea of complete garbage?

I don't have the greatest love for the game either, but come on. It's cute, it is colourful, it is smooth, it is responsive, it has big levels and it does not punish you for going slow and exploring by giving you oodles of time, in fact it rewards exploration because there are so many secrets to find in a level. It has a charm that will appeal more to kids than to adults which helps to overlook flaws the game has.

Baby Jo is so much more worse than Superfrog. I still don't call that game garbage either, it has some redeeming qualities and as a kid I really enjoyed trying to punch my way through the terribly unforgiving and hard to control game. Charm goes a long way. Youthful perseverance to see what the next world will look like resolves or counters all flaws in any game.
100% Agree
Old 14 February 2023, 21:00   #26
rsn8887

Quote:
Baby Jo is actually quite smooth and good on PC Engine Super CD-ROM, only the Amiga version is unplayably slow. Fun fact: On PC Engine, Baby Jo can even jump higher and reach some platforms that are unreachable on Amiga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A500 View Post
(...)
This is what my kids liked to play when they were small:

Nicky Boum 1 & 2
Yes! My little brother (12 years younger than me) loved to play Nicky Boum on my Amiga when he was little.

Last edited by rsn8887; 14 February 2023 at 22:04.
Old 15 February 2023, 00:36   #27
Arne
Hobby/Indie gamedev

I think I'd show off games which are interesting because they belong to more or less abandoned genres that are not seen much nowadays. At the same time they'd have to be accessible; the quirky strategy games that I enjoy unfortunately might not qualify so I'm not left with a lot of choices really. Two-player fun with small-cute-figures-on-the-screen might work well though.

Gravity Force II, Scorched Tanks, Wings of Fury, BiPlane Duel, Lemmings, Volfied, Sensible Soccer, possibly Super Cars but I kind of always loathed the collision detection.

Pinball Dreams (et al) is very accessible though virtual pinball games are still around of course.

I don't think I'd bother with any of the clunky platform or fighting games as the Amiga was so easily bested by contemporary and later systems. Even 8-bit systems had much better platform games overall. If I had to pick an Amiga fighting game it would be Barbarian. If I had to pick a platform game, I'd pick an at least interesting looking one, like Gods or Killing Game Show but they're both too tough. Never played Fishfinger/Rodland so I can't judge 'em.
Old 15 February 2023, 07:54   #28
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Technically it is quite impressive at least. I get that some people don't like the game, but calling it complete garbage when Top Banana exists on the same platform feels very wrong
Old 15 February 2023, 21:11   #29
A500

Quote:

Haha My kids actually wanted to have a go when they saw me play it, and they just walked in the room because they heard the title music and wanted to see where it came from!
Old 16 February 2023, 03:55   #30
Arne
Hobby/Indie gamedev

Superfrog has a neat engine with fluid movement, competent sound and graphics; all for naught – there's just nothing there but endless fruits, coins and corridors. Very candy/egypt/ice/music-level blasé, like Zool and James Pond. The Amiga saw some novel ideas for platform games, but I think developers started with too much of a disadvantage. Bit of a shame that the good engines weren't used to do anything interesting.
Old 16 February 2023, 10:08   #31
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn8887 View Post
Baby Jo is actually quite smooth and good on PC Engine Super CD-ROM, only the Amiga version is unplayably slow. Fun fact: On PC Engine, Baby Jo can even jump higher and reach some platforms that are unreachable on Amiga.
I'll see if I can set that up emulated somehow then, sounds good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne View Post
Superfrog has a neat engine with fluid movement, competent sound and graphics; all for naught – there's just nothing there but endless fruits, coins and corridors.
Well, like a lot of platformers. But at least Superfrog has non-linear levels and a trigger system so you can influence parts of the levels by pulling switches. They didn't go for a template platformer here which is respectable, but it is where they went off-script where I have some problems with it. Notably the weird combat system and the lengthy stun cycle just don't work for me.

But I'll gladly play that every day over something like Beavers though.

Last edited by gimbal; 16 February 2023 at 10:26.
Old 16 February 2023, 10:57   #32
Korban

Quote:
I wouldnt call it "complete garbage", but for my tastes it's the epitome of mediocrity.
Team17 for the most part seemed to miss what made the games they cloned good in the 1st place.
There's exceptions, but in my opinion visuals and technical merit were more of a focus for them than making genuinely good games.
Old 16 February 2023, 11:01   #33
Korban

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Technically it is quite impressive at least. I get that some people don't like the game, but calling it complete garbage when Top Banana exists on the same platform feels very wrong
Holy cow.
That main game sprite is the stuff of nightmares.

I'm going to have to go play Resident Evil7 in VR and get my hand cut off by Mia now so I can get the comparatively unpleasant imagery out of my head.
Old 16 February 2023, 11:04   #34
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korban View Post
Holy cow.
I'm going to have to go play Resident Evil7 in VR and get my hand cut off by Mia now so I can get the comparatively unpleasant imagery out of my head.
Pff.

No the eye scene from Dead Space 2. THAT is my nightmare. In Resident Evil you just poor some goop over it and attach your hand back.
Old 16 February 2023, 11:14   #35
Korban

Quote:
Pff.

No the eye scene from Dead Space 2. THAT is my nightmare. In Resident Evil you just poor some goop over it and attach your hand back.
Thats a series I really need to get around to playing. It's a genre I enjoy, but for no reason in particular I've never got around to playing it.
I have boxed copies of 1,2 and 3 for both xbox360 and ps3 as well as no.s 1 and 2 for PC, but have yet to play them.
I'd start with the remake of no.1, but would like to play them in their original forms. I'll then back peddle if I like it enough (and give the remake a chance to drop in price in the process).

I still find R.E.7 in VR to be one of the creepiest gaming experiences ever though.
I like the series already, but in VR it adds a whole new level of creepiness.
I highly recommend giving it a try if you haven't and are able
Old 16 February 2023, 13:42   #36
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

... eh we're drifting very far off-topic here. Reset
Old 16 February 2023, 13:44   #37
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
... eh we're drifting very far off-topic here. Reset
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 16 February 2023, 21:04   #38
matt3k

1. Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego
2. Where in Europe is Carmen Sandiego
3. Where is the USA is Carmend Sandiego
4. Where in Time is Carmen Sandiego
5. Discovery Math and Spelling (Microillusions)
6. Math Wizard, Decimal Dungeon, Read and rhyme, kinderdarden (Unicorn)
7 Math Blaster Plus (Davidson)
8. AB Zoo
9. Barney Bear goes Camping, to School, to the Farm, and to Space (Spirit)
10. Amy Fun 23.

Ok, maybe more than ten, but I made it fit...

All either are HD installable or have WHDloads, no excuses not to install and use
Old 16 February 2023, 21:21   #39
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I had a blast playing the arcade version of Silkworm with an 8yo (mame, infinite coins FTW) so why not SWIV is extremely brutish though, don't feed any sugar to the kid in the 4 hours before playing.

Play Postman Pat. I can bet that the kid is better at the game than you are.
Old 17 February 2023, 15:59   #40
eXeler0

Top 10 Amiga games our kids need to play

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boing-Ball View Post
Lotus Turbo II anyone?
SWIV as well…

Kids today have seen top AAA driving games so I feel these sprite scalers on lesser hardware havent aged that well outside the nostalgia circles. Split screen was a nice feature bac then… but
We’ve been playing Trackmania on PS4 (split screen), among other racers.