English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 23 June 2024, 21:48   #21
Megalomaniac

Honestly, I'm not sure how well a lot of great Amiga games would have transferred into the arcades, even if you jazzed up the presentation slightly in a few cases. The best home computer games (even action games) were designed to be persistent challenges that you'd sink a lot of time into, and would expect some reading of the manual (or at least some experimentation and practice) to work out what the weapons do and how to activate switches etc - as £25-50 investments rather than 50p impulses, if you like. A lot of the games mentioned here are just too layered, too subtle, too inventive to really work as pure coin-ops - and I think they're better for being designed as home computer (or console in a few cases) games. Certainly, if things like Lemmings / SWOS / Flashback as suggested had been released as arcade games first, I'm not convinced they would have been hits in that setting, despite their quality.