English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 02 November 2022, 06:42   #21
pipper

You can try building https://github.com/mheyer32/ADoom
As part of the build process it'll build doomsound_midi.library (and also CAMDoomSound). This version of ADoom is modified to look for doomsound_midi.library first, before looking for doomsound.library.
doomsound_midi.library library behaves the same way as doomsound.library except it'll play the music through CAMD.

Alternatively you can try starting CAMDoomSound before starting ADoom. CAMDoomSound will load doomsound.library and patch it to play the music through CAMD.

I have uploaded CAMDoomSound to the zone.
Old 02 November 2022, 08:24   #22
vulture

Ah thx a lot pipper, I'll try this!
Old 02 November 2022, 21:16   #23
vulture

@pipper

Thx to your help I've managed to make ADoom and DoomAttack to work too

One last question if I may, any idea how I could make native games (ie King's Quest V) to output sound correctly, cuse right now it's a mess? I guess they output @31250 and my PC com expects 38400 and that's why the music is garbled.

One idea is to get a usb-serial ftdi based converter, which is supposed to support 31250, any opinions on this?

Again, thx!
Old 02 November 2022, 21:35   #24
pipper

These games probably don’t use CAMD and talk to the serial port directly. If there’s no way to redirect their output to another serial device, the only option would be to patch the game such that it talks 38400 to the serial port… this requires some hacking skills, but it might not be too hard. AFAIR, Sierra games use a small “driver” for music output, so disassembling and patching that one could be done fairly easily(??)

On the PC side one can then use a Serial-to-MIDI bridge like “Hairless” and forward the serial input stream to MUNT.

The beauty of this setup would be that no midi cable is needed. One can directly feed the PC via a simple NullModem cable.
For games that use CAMD in such a setup, I put a “NullModem” serial CAMD driver in the zone some time ago. Place it under DEVS:Midi/ and use the CAMD’s MidiPrefs program to select “NullModem” as driver. NullModem will spit out the midi stream at 38400 to the serial output.
Old 02 November 2022, 21:40   #25
vulture

@pipper

Yes, I already have done that thanks to your help and your driver in another thread

Yes, Sierra games have a built-in driver to talk to the serial, I think it's the same for every game too, so, I think if you manage to make it work @38400, those will work correctly with a simple null modem cable!
Old 02 November 2022, 21:55   #26
Aardvark

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulture View Post
One idea is to get a usb-serial ftdi based converter, which is supposed to support 31250, any opinions on this?
I use this solution. The FTDI driver needs to be hacked to support 31250 though, which then can cause problems with other devices that uses FTDI. Otherwise it works really well, even with Mac games via Shapeshifter.
Hack instructions for FTDI: https://forum.arduino.cc/t/midi-direct-via-usb/22119/3
Old 02 November 2022, 22:09   #27
Photon

I have it from an MD that MIDI sound canvases causes actual damage to the ears, to the point where the listener can no longer hear the difference between good sounds and terrible sounds anymore.

Was gonna say, it'll be a list of PC ports, in some ways it's understandable that they had to suffer through MIDI sound canvases since AdLib was very expensive. On the other hand every PC user spent $2500-$4000 upgrading until their games ran half decent. Just not the sound card. And not components to run games well either. Kinda mad that they spent so much money on a home computer that could only do work.
Old 02 November 2022, 23:29   #28
vulture

@Aardvark

thx for the link m8

@Photon

Old 13 December 2022, 09:19   #29
pipper

I put a modified mt32_38400.drv into the Zone. Tested with SpaceQuestIV; but it should work with other Sierra games, too(?).
It will set the serial port to 38400 baud and thus allow to redirect the Amiga's MIDI stream over a nullmodem cable to a PC running, for instance, MUNT.
As stated earlier one needs a Serial-to-Midi bridge on the PC side; I use the "Hairless MIDI-Serial bridge" tool for that.
Old 13 December 2022, 10:12   #30
vulture

That's awesome pipper! Thank you so much!
Old 13 December 2022, 10:36   #31
drHirudo
Amiga user

Thanks for the list. I plan to make playthrough videos of these games, with audio output to my Korg PA50 with MIDI interface. I remember (will check again) that I was able to make King's Quest (not sure if the original game or the remake) to work with MIDI by renaming one of the libraries on the disk. Will check again for my hack, if only I can find the Gotek with the USB flash drive on it.
Is it possible to make other Sierra games to work with MIDI by renaming the libraries?
Old 13 December 2022, 20:22   #32
pipper

There’s typically an “Install” program in the games’s directory. Running it after the actual install allows you to update the name of the sound driver - no need to rename the driver file itself! The installer just writes the name into a text file next to the game executable. You could also edit this file manually.
Old 31 August 2023, 10:57   #33
mahen

Hi ! I'd be interested in a recent build of doomsound_midi.library outputting to external MIDI devices :-)
I tried the patch in the zone, but I couldn't get it to work properly. I get midi music in ADoom but no more SFX and display got super slow (I guess the CAMD rerouting takes tons of CPU time ?). Couldn't get it to work in DoomAttack...
(A1230@50 + SC55mk2)

Also, which .MID player would you recommend (with CAMD support) ? Apart from the command line one from CAMD_Toolkit... Thx a lot !

Last edited by mahen; 31 August 2023 at 11:21.
Old 07 November 2023, 10:34   #34
Seiya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzball View Post

List (in progress):

Castle of Dr. Brain
Chocoloate Doom port by Novacoder (includes Heretic, Hexen and Strife)
Conquests of the Longbow
Descent (Christian Sauer's port)
Duke Nukem 3D (AmiDuke RTG version only)
Gold of the Realm
Heroes Of Might and Magic II
Hoyle's Official Book of Games: Volume 3
King's Quest (1991 remake)
King's Quest V
Leisure Suit Larry 5: Passionate Patti Does a Little Undercover Work
Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards (1991 remake)
Mixed Up Mother Goose (1991 remake)
OpenDune
Police Quest III
Quest for Glory II: Trial by Fire
ScummVM port Novacoder
Space Quest (1991 remake)
Space Quest III
Space Quest IV
Ultima VII (Exult port by Novacoder)
this are the only games that support midi from original developers. New games that are ported from PC to Amiga could support MIDI through Camd.library as many PC games support MIDI.
Me too i try to search for other titles, but it seems that this list could be finished.
Well, i can add that also recent port of Dark Forces use midi with camd.library as option.

Last edited by Seiya; 07 November 2023 at 10:50.
Old 07 November 2023, 10:48   #35
derSammler

When talking about original games, only the Sierra titles from around 1989-1992 support MIDI on the Amiga. That's it. Which is a shame, given that the Sierra games suck on the Amiga anyway. They are better be played on a PC.

Modern ports like Descent, Duke3D, Blood etc. often have music packs in OGG format ready that have music recorded from an SC-55/88, so MIDI support is not needed even when present (unless you can't play OGG due to performance).

IMO, MIDI and Amiga just don't fit together well.
Old 07 November 2023, 10:52   #36
Seiya

Quote:
Originally Posted by derSammler View Post

IMO, MIDI and Amiga just don't fit together well.
i agreed
Old 07 November 2023, 10:56   #37
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by derSammler View Post
When talking about original games, only the Sierra titles from around 1989-1992 support MIDI on the Amiga. That's it.
Old 07 November 2023, 16:17   #38
Estrayk

"Gold of the realm" and "Lost Dutchman Mine" both have MIDI in Atari ST, seeing that this one: Gold of the realm, have Amiga MIDI, maybe Lost Dutchman Mine too. anyone can check it?
Old 07 November 2023, 16:28   #39
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estrayk View Post
"Gold of the realm" and "Lost Dutchman Mine" both have MIDI in Atari ST, seeing that this one: Gold of the realm, have Amiga MIDI, maybe Lost Dutchman Mine too. anyone can check it?
The notes in French indicate that MIDI support is only available on the ST: https://amiga.abime.net/games/view/l...n-mine#manuals
Old 07 November 2023, 16:46   #40
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

It might be advantageous to add midi as either a feature or audio in the Advanced features of HOL?