English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 01 August 2006, 08:50   #21
Chain
A-Collector, repairments

Send a message via ICQ to Chain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown_K
What requirements are there for burning using makecd? I have a Yamaha 4x caddy drive I would like to burn backups with on my Amiga 2000HD (Workbench 2.05 ,GVP 68030/40 with 16MB RAM)?
Burning wit this config will be really good.
I can burn at 2x speed on A2000 with 020/14 MHz and 4mb ram. Yamaha 4x4x16 scsi drive...
Old 01 August 2006, 09:53   #22
Slayer
Amiga Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBong
BTW are you using the registered/shareware demo version of Frying Pan with your LiteOn DVD burner or something else?
I am using dvdrtools/cdrtools
Old 01 August 2006, 10:53   #23
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer
I am using dvdrtools/cdrtools
Out of curiosity, have you found any workaround for the 2Gb limit on burning?

Tried burning DVDs with the Frying Pan demo at all? Reason I'm asking is I've just ordered a Fast ATA IDE controller for my A4000 from Elbox and am looking at buying a DVD burner. I want to buy one that is supported by Frying Pan. Unfortunately the Frying Pan website only lists support for particular 1x-8x burners, which are quite hard to get hold of now (new or used!). Fortunately there are a few stores here in Oz that still carry stock of the LiteOn models you and Murakami have.

@Everyone
Anyone else here doing DVD burning on their Amiga using Frying Pan and a current generation 16x burner? If so, please spill the details
Old 01 August 2006, 11:05   #24
Slayer
Amiga Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBong
Out of curiosity, have you found any workaround for the 2Gb limit on burning?

Tried burning DVDs with the Frying Pan demo at all? Reason I'm asking is I've just ordered a Fast ATA IDE controller for my A4000 from Elbox and am looking at buying a DVD burner. I want to buy one that is supported by Frying Pan. Unfortunately the Frying Pan website only lists support for particular 1x-8x burners, which are quite hard to get hold of now (new or used!). Fortunately there are a few stores here in Oz that still carry stock of the LiteOn models you and Murakami have.
I've tried all manners of pipes to try and use the mkisofs <arg> | dvdrtools <arg> , I've looked at installing other file systems that potentially can at least store an image greater than 2gigs.

I've tried to get programmers interested in providing the code to dvdrtools or cdrtools which will merge the 1 gig output files that mkisofs is capable of... (apparently the code only exists in some dvdprodad equivalent...

And I've tried to utilise some vague references to buring a dvd in multisession (i.e. burn 4 1 gig odd files one after
the other seamlessly)

I almost made the decision to simply burn 2 gig dvds... I mean, hell, they are as cheap as cdroms anyway now...

I will tell you this... it takes makecd 8 mins to burn a full cdrom at 8x...

I'm pretty sure using dvdrtools I burnt 2 gigs of information in less than that... but I can't remember if I write from the cyberscsi in that instance or not...

but really, as long as you don't have to watch a movie who cares how long something takes to burn to media, once it's burnt its done...

I'm beginning to think it's a waste of time anyway... 120 gigs etc are so cheap... I'd rather keep archives on 120 gig hds and simply have another as a back up etc...

some of my collections are so vast 120 gig doesn't even hold the entire collection... imagine swapping out that many 4 gig dvds... argh!

perhaps after I get a few amigaones I'll look at some sort of blue light media... until then... I was happy just to toy around with concepts...

hell, perhaps I'll code the missing parts myself one day
Old 01 August 2006, 11:10   #25
Slayer
Amiga Member

I missed your other question... nope I haven't tried FP demo... I don't bother with crippled software... of course it'll do the job, so why temp yourself unless you are wanting to buy a solution

I'm mucking about with Morphos PPC dvdrtools port... having a few problems but who knows...

I could always reinstall NetBSD3.0 and find a unix solution...

adios!

just like the old days... doesn't matter what ultimately comes of it, it's bloody fun just mucking it out and brain thrashing with a good ol Amiga...

Old 01 August 2006, 11:24   #26
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer
but really, as long as you don't have to watch a movie who cares how long something takes to burn to media, once it's burnt its done...

I'm beginning to think it's a waste of time anyway... 120 gigs etc are so cheap... I'd rather keep archives on 120 gig hds and simply have another as a back up etc...

some of my collections are so vast 120 gig doesn't even hold the entire collection... imagine swapping out that many 4 gig dvds... argh!

What you're saying makes perfect sense, but I'm kinda sick of having the lids of my A4000s off or unscrewed just in case I have to swap HDs in and out for backup purposes. I find that when I have the lid off the A4000T that I'm tempted to expand it by stuffing more cards and other stuff inside that ends up bringing the whole system down!

Having DVD-RW/RAM drives on my main Amigas will save all the messing around with backup HDs and transferring large chunks of stuff between machines. Will also save me some financial grief too when the shit really hits the fan and I have to bring the A4000T to my technician to sort out!!
Old 01 August 2006, 11:34   #27
Slayer
Amiga Member

your A4000s have lids?????????????????

heh

my A4000D and A4000T each have a AriadneII card plugged into a router myy modded xbox is connected also...

so sharing information isn't such a big deal... hell, I removed my 250 meg zip drives from both... kind of made them redundant...

but yes... the machines should be covered...

but mine are not

ya need a cpu room?